My Mini Camper for 2 build...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

My Mini Camper for 2 build...

Postby Minicamper42 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Well, I got the bug...I can't sleep, can't eat much cuz all I do is think about my design and plans in my head...I'm going camper freak'n crazy right now...I have search most of my materials and am currently looking for a old trailer to get on the cheap...I figure I can restore the frame and upgrade to a newer axle with brakes later after the build is done

My design will be based on the Compact 3 design, but instead if using 1/8" panels on both sides with wood framing members, I am going to use a combination of building methods and materials...mostly from boat and kit car designs...my plan is to be as light as possible and yet have the strength of a well designed new camp trailer that can be towed anywhere.

DESIGN:
I will be using a sandwich foam core design with 1/8" panel inside and 1/4" on the outside...the compact is a great design but lacks character and cuteness...I am going to push the side out with a round belt line to add dimension to the inside, about a 15-20 degree angle, roughly 30" from the floor...I will also be doing only 2 front panels instead of 3...the front will be angled to a point that looks attractive and will serve as extra storage inside and help cut through the air...I will be moving the rear door to one side to increase the bathroom space...I want to incorporate a sit down shower for the extended trips...the shower will be fully glassed and sealed and epoxy painted for protection, the gray water will drain into a holding tank to be dumped later...the porta-potty will be removable from the space but still thinking of that build for the bathroom...pretty much everything else in the Compact design will be used.

CRITERIA:
My requirements for this tiny travel trailer are simple...I want to be able to go 4-5 days in the middle of nowhere and be self sufficient, so a sit down shower is mandatory...cooking, cleaning of dishes and having enough storage for clothes and food is necessary...having cool air and heat is also a comfort were all used to...still figuring a simple solution for heat and air, Ice is good but will melt in a days time...I am going to experiment with some dry ice this weekend and I'll let you know what I find...dry ice is extremely cold and was thinking about a small box with a fan to blow over the ice for a cooling effect instead of a A/C unit...heat is fairly simple, a propane or oil lamp flame under a brick would radiant some good heat with a low speed fan to transfer the heat...these are just some of the ideals I have rattling around in my head, I'm trying to keep the camping situation as green as possible.

CONCLUSION:
I have been inspired very much by all the great builds on this forum...it gives me great confidence to know I have a lot of support just waiting to lend some advise or suggestions as I start the build...I am hoping to get started very soon and hope that my design will turn out OK...it's very hard for me to put down on paper a drawing or try to use a CAD design software to show you all what it will look like, all I can do is describe my design...I have had great success building a dune buggy and a VW trike with no drawing at all, most people are amazed at my craftsmanship...I just hope that using new technology and build on the fly design will turn out like I hope it will as I am good with wood working and have done some fiberglass, using epoxies for different materials will be interesting to see the results...I am certain that my sandwich foam design will be very cozy inside...in fact, ice will last longer in a foam cooler then it will in a plastic cooler...ever notice that a foam cup never sweats like a wax paper cup or a plastic cup does...foam is a great insulator! :thumbsup:

My goal is to be around a 1000lbs empty(I might be dream'n) and a budget in the $2500 range...I will do my best to keep all documented build pictures and descriptions as simple as possible...when I am finished I will hope to inspire others to build their version of my build.

Thanks for reading my long winded opening segment to my MiniCamper42 :D
I wish I had a million bucks
Minicamper42
Teardrop Builder

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Welcome! Building is a bunch of fun! Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought...so time for some sawdust!!
:thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Minicamper42 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 am

Yah, sawdust will come soon enough...trying to sell my 2 toys to finance the project :twisted:

I was at Lowe's yesterday and they have a big selection of foam panels...the 3/4" and 5/8" Polystyrene were 12 bucks each, the panels were some what rigid and would stiffen with sandwich construction...they have a 1/2" foam panel that was yellow in color that was as stiff as a sheet of plywood of the same dimension...it had a rigid foil face on both sides and had a higher R-value then the thicker foam panels...I might choose to go with this stuff for 2 reasons, even though it costs more...it's more rigid and has a higher R-value, my only concern with this stuff is gluing the ply panels to the foil surface, my glue is only as strong as the glue they used to glue the foil to the foam...so both have pros and cons...swinging like a pendulum here :thinking:

I may incorporate both styles of foam panels in my build...the stiffer 1/2" panels would make for lightweight wall dividers and the interior door for the potty room.

Rear door construction will be done using a veneer of thin layers to be shaped around the door...only one jig will be required for both the door and frame.

I am using this build journal for ideals as well as the build so I will hope to get some feed back on my ideals...I know you guys and gals like pictures...I will get some up when my build starts...I will most likely build the door and frame first as it will be a key component to the whole build, probably the most time consuming component as it will endure the most use.

Mini 4-2 :thumbsup:
Minicamper42
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ageless » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:40 pm

OK, I've been to NM in late October, so I know what you are up against.

If you've worked boats and kit cars, then you know that foam core can be stiff, so don't laminate then try to set a curve; lay it up with the curve! A laminated sheet simply don't want to bend. The plastic and foil on the foam sheets give them some rigid qualities and I've found that slitting it on one side makes it more flexible.

4- 5 days; make plans to carry lots of fluids!!! I was down by Deming; rockhounding and went thru 5 32 oz Powerade in 8 hours in the sun. Do not even begin to dehydrate; not a fun time!

Any time you venture into the desert, carry (2) spare tires for the TV and trailer.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Minicamper42 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks for the tips Ageless...that is some good advise :thumbsup:
I will most likely built a scale model first...this will be my CAD version as I work better from an actual model VS a paper dimension...If I build this scale model first then I can make any adjustments...plus you guys and gals will have some ideal of the finished product and pictures to look at :D

There is a stiff foam board at the local craft store that I will pick up as well as paint so I you can see my trailer in 3 dimensions without picking up a pen or pencil...I think you all will appreciate why I am doing this model first...I want to make adjustments on the model and not my pocket before building the real trailer...I'm actually surprised that the TD is not modeled...maybe this would make for a good hobby of those wanting a trailer or would like to build one...I will post this ideal in another thread.

Mini 4-2 :thumbsup:
Minicamper42
Teardrop Builder

Return to Build Journals