Low Buck build is ON !

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Low Buck build is ON !

Postby graybear13 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Well folks , I guess I have officially started by build. :applause: I went garbage sailing this morning (they had TOOLS !) and found an axel for the princely sum of $15 . :o It will need to be narrowed a bunch and is quite heavy. Since then , I have located an old boat trailer that is minus an axel and is free . As soon as I can get my camera to download to my computer , I will start posting pics.
graybear13
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ageless » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:39 pm

Free is good!

I have toyed with that idea myself; how much could be done with recycled materials
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Awesome! Welcome to the T&TTT forum!

Postby Alfred » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Awesome! Welcome to the forum,

Free would be good - I stopped keeping track, but I have to be over $1000 into this build now. I spend too much time at Home Depot, Harbor Freight and E-Bay and not enough time at Garage Sales, apparently.

Keep us posted and post pictures!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Al,

Time is money...

One either has the time to find all this free stuff, or one is working, and has to frequent places like Harbor Freight and Home Depot.

I, for one, have to spend way too much time at work, and way too much time driving back and forth to work. I suspect many folks here are in the same boat.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby vrodjason » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:55 am

Yeah, I travel an hour and 15 mins. one way to work. It sure cuts into my free time. But sometimes it is good to be by myself and have some alone time, even if I am driving. It also gives me time to run trailer ideas through my head! :thinking:
vrodjason
Teardrop Advisor

Time

Postby Alfred » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:21 am

Yes, I guess that is what it is. When I was living in the 'burbs outside Tampa I was driving an hour 15 minutes to Largo everyday to work. Did this for three years. It kills ya'. I would feel good when I got off work, and dead tired 90 minutes later after the commute. This and over three years I got rear-ended on the interstate 3 different times by people not paying attention in the start/stop bumper to bumper traffic. Only thing I miss is listening to All Things Considered and NPR while in the car.

This is one of the reasons I moved to Asheville. Now I am 12 minutes from work! Still, I have one fulltime job and three part-time gigs, plus parenthood. Wonder I have anytime to devote to this hobby at all - And I have to consciously make time, or I would never get to it!

Still - To get the thread back on track - I think one of the interesting things about this hobby is that a teardrop using recycled materials, found materials, salvage materials and other inexpensive what-have-you is possible. Even going the Home Depot/Harbor Freight route like me, there are certainly more expensive hobbies!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Re: Time

Postby Mightydog » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:23 am

Alfred wrote: there are certainly more expensive hobbies!

We have four golfers in my office. What they pay in greens fees, clubs and balls is incredible. Now, what I pay for saws, wood and trim is completely different!

Can't wait for the pix of the build!
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caseydog » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:34 pm

You should have MadJack move this to "Build Journals" so you can keep us up-to-date as your build progresses.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:42 pm

'work'

What a strange concept
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Build Journals