Tent Topped Camp Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Tent Topped Camp Trailer

Postby clarkbre » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Well, I think it's time to start journalling my build. Here goes:

I have always liked the idea of building my own camping trailer but have found teardrops to be a little too small for my needs. My wife and I are starting a family soon so we'll needs something with a large enough sleeping area for 2 adults and one or two kids. We also really enjoy tent camping so I have decided to go with a simple rooftent topped trailer. I got the idea from www.compactcampingconcepts.com . When open, the tent will be 71"x94"x47" providing a large sleeping area for a small family.

I started with a Redtrailers 4'x8' frame that I shortened by 24" and adjusted the axle position.

Next I built a frame for my gear box. The frame is constructed with 1"x2"s and 2"x2"s and held together using Tightbond III glue and pocket holed drywall screws.

Once the frame was dry I started adding 1/2" ACX plywood. I used this for the floor, sides, top, and interior bulkhead of the box. The box is bolted to the frame using (10) 3/8" carriage bolts through the 1"x2"s and 1/2" ACX floor.

The sides and lid were attached next. The box is very stiff with almost no flex at all. Hatch doors and hinges still need to be added so I will be working on building those this week. The box should give ample space for storing camping gear but also be rigid to support the tent and campers on top of it.

UPDATED:
Here's some pics of the box after I routered the edges and started sanding. The box is coming along nicely and I plan on making the doors for the compartments this weekend.

Last edited by clarkbre on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan
Everett, WA
clarkbre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby del » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Looks like a good start. I think you will like having one place to store your camping gear. Good luck.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby schaney » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Coming along nicely :thumbsup: As you might guess, I love seeing people going Tent Topped :D

Just for clarification, the new family sized folding tent units are 71" wide x 94" long and 4' tall at the peak when opened.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby Minicamper42 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:43 pm

This is going to be cool when finished...there is a neat video of one similar on youtube a guy built...his tent was one of those Land Rover type topper units that was very large when uprighted...I will follow with interest as I can see you have keen eye for clean work and know what you are doing...very nice job so far.

Mini 4-2 :thumbsup:
I wish I had a million bucks
Minicamper42
Teardrop Builder

Postby clarkbre » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:08 pm

Thank you all for the comments. I have been in touch numerous times with Schaney and he has been very helpful for information and guidance. These little trailers are fun to build.
Brendan
Everett, WA
clarkbre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby robertaw » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Very cool :applause: I've never seen one of these. This is like the best of all worlds. Light and easy to tow, lots of storage for gear, plus you get to sleep up off the ground.

I see your dogs didn't waste any time getting tangled up in the trailer. :lol:
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:46 am

Mini 4-2, here is a YouTube video we did on our Explorer Box, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlkFcVz3-Y0 it's a Tent Topper Camping Trailer like clarkbre's which is shorter with a front deck.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby clarkbre » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:03 pm

Here's some of the latest pics of the trailer. It's coming along nicely and starting to look more and more like a small cargo hauler. I attached the doors with piano hinges and started patching and filling all the screw holes. I decided that the easiest and cleanest look for the weatherstripping was to put it on the doors. The weatherstripping ended up having some thickness to it when it was applied to a flat surface so I recessed it about 1/16" with the router. It's amazing what those tools can do. Now, there is a nice even line for the weatherstripping to be mounted to.

Brendan
Everett, WA
clarkbre
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Build Journals