Modified 2+2 trolley top - Dinette Table - pg 15

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Modified 2+2 trolley top - Hatch finished - pg 12

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:38 am

Looking great! Those photos should really get your blood pumping to 'crack on' and get 'er done! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:08 am

I like it a Lott Dave :) And you can't beat that type of hatch, the way it seals.. I did the same....
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby NCBooger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Wow I'm really liking what your doing here Dan. :applause:
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
NCBooger
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Modified 2+2 trolley top - Bunk installed - pg 13

Postby danlott » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:31 pm

It has been very hot or raining here for awhile now, so not much progress on the outside of my trailer. I did get some time to install the bunk bed in the front of the trailer. There will be 2 beds in the front that measure 32 by 76 inches. The area was designed for my kids to sleep, but I built it big enough and strong enough for adults to sleep in comfortably.

Here is the bunk framing installed. It will be a box beam platform and is attached to blocking that was installed when I framed the walls.

Here is the bunk after I glued and nailed the top plywood into place.

Of course I had to include the standard "Steve Frederick" person laying on the bed photo.

And than finally a picture just because I think it is cute.

Now on to finish the dinette area.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:03 am

That's terrific! Good job! Great photos! The kids are cute, too; but, we already knew that. ;)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby OHfam » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 pm

I haven't been on this forum forever! We bought a trailer from a friend last year maybe?? With plans to make it into a camper,but life got busy and we did nothing with it...well,now we hope to start building in the near future..this thread is inspiring! We are a family of 4 as well,I'm really liking the bunks!
OHfam
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Johnysteam » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:32 am

Fantastic. Are you in the business because it looks so neatly done. I hope I have not already asked but how much headroom do you have , looks like a lot?
cheers
Johnysteam
Silver Donating Member

Postby danlott » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Johnysteam wrote:Fantastic. Are you in the business because it looks so neatly done. I hope I have not already asked but how much headroom do you have , looks like a lot?
cheers

I would be broke if I was "in the business", it has taken me way to long to get to this point.

Standing in the dropped floor section there is 6' 1" of clearance.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 pm

danlott wrote:I would be broke if I was "in the business", it has taken me way to long to get to this point.

So true, and deja vu. I had this thought just today, with deep respect for people like Grant Whipp. I have almost 3 yrs into my build and probably more money in materials than it will be worth if I were to try to sell it when it is done (new w/o even using it); and if you ask me I would say it has been like a second job, regular hours with hardly any slack time.

Stick with it Dan. You are doing a great job and your designs are inspirational! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby danlott » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:57 pm

I would probably be alot quicker if I were building one to sell. When I do things for myself I tend to overthink everything. I know what I need to do, but I just take forever to decide that yes that is what I am going to do. When I am helping someone with a project of theirs or making something for someone then I have no probem making a decision and going with it. Wierd but true.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:49 am

danlott wrote:I would probably be alot quicker if I were building one to sell. When I do things for myself I tend to overthink everything. I know what I need to do, but I just take forever to decide that yes that is what I am going to do. When I am helping someone with a project of theirs or making something for someone then I have no probem making a decision and going with it. Wierd but true.

Dan

I think that is true with most of us. Life get's in the way too. I have 3 or 4 things pulling my time away from my build. You folks have lost of kids with many events. Keep up the good work :EXP :EXP :thumbsup:

The trailer looks great.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby GreenViking » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:42 am

danlott wrote:I would probably be alot quicker if I were building one to sell. When I do things for myself I tend to overthink everything. I know what I need to do, but I just take forever to decide that yes that is what I am going to do. When I am helping someone with a project of theirs or making something for someone then I have no probem making a decision and going with it. Wierd but true.

Dan

:applause: Keep going.... always seems like the last 10-15% Tends up taking 80% of the time. Am real curious if this project would lend itself well to a digital fabrication workflow? Anyway, looking foreword to your next update. Wishing you the BEST!
GreenViking
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:43 am

It's just beautiful and worth every minute you have spent on it.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby danlott » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:26 am

rebapuck wrote:It's just beautiful and worth every minute you have spent on it.

Thank you. I have been filling and sanding. I am now ready to apply the fiberglass and epoxy to the roof and hatch. That will be a fairly major thing since it is fairly hard to reach the top of the roof section. Will probably have to build some scaffold sections to reach the top of the roof while putting on the epoxy.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

Re: Modified 2+2 trolley top - Fiberglass applied - pg 13

Postby danlott » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:59 pm

Had a few days off from work and some decent weather, so got to work putting on the fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Did not take as many pictures as I could have, but working with epoxy is a little messing. Did not want to get it on my phone. I had already put the fiberglass on the walls before I put the trailer together.

First thing I did was figure out the best way to attack putting on the fiberglass cloth. After doing so I cut the cloth to the various sizes and shapes that I needed.

I started with the hatch. This was fairly simple and did not require much effort. Since I was doing this outside and it was a little windy I used tacks to help hold the cloth until I wetted it out.

Here is the hatch after two coats of epoxy.

The trickiest part of the fiberglassing was how to handle the trolley top. To reach the trolley top I need to be either kneeling or standing on the main roof section. So I decided to put the cloth on the trolley top and front section first. After wetting it out with epoxy I then let it set up. I then followed by applying the cloth and exopy to the remaining sections of the roof. I did not get any pictures of the rest of the process. I now have three coat of epoxy on everything. I have been sanding between coats and still have atleast two more coats to go.

Dan
Image Image
danlott
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals