The build started today!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The build started today!

Postby shortgmanp » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:08 pm

I wanted to say that my dad and I started our tear today. We recieved our custom built trailer from Larimore today. 5 x 10 box chanel frame. We cut and bisquited the floor and walls today. Next is the dreaded black goo! I will be posting images soon. If I can figure out how. I must say that this project holds a special meaning to me. I am almost 45 and my dad is 68. I thank God that he is still healthy enough do a project with me. Thank You Greg Prater :applause:
I am a workaholic that loves a good challenge. It will also give my dad and me a good project to work on together. I plan on putting several miles on this teardrop, so I want to build it right.
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Postby pbrunicorn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Post those pictures, I am just starting my build also and I am probably over posting everything for it :lol:
pbrunicorn
Teardrop Builder

Postby doug hodder » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:29 pm

congrats Greg on building a project like this with your Dad. That's the type of bonding I wish I had the chance to do with mine. I'm sure he will get as big of a thrill out of it as you will. Nothing better than that! Have fun, savor it and enjoy.... :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bve » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:08 pm

Ditto to what Doug said.

Looking back I wish I would have taken the chance to do something like this with my dad. Although I have many great memories of dad, camping, sports, etc., I envy what you two are doing, just the thought of it has made my eyes a bit watery.

Enjoy every minute of it.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Week off

Postby shortgmanp » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:40 pm

I took off work last week and worked with my dad for 4 days. The other I fixed a car, but it was still one of the best vacations I ever had. We got alot done, but I am back to work now and progress will be slowed, but I have several days off coming up and hope to get a coat of varnish on it this week. :D
I am a workaholic that loves a good challenge. It will also give my dad and me a good project to work on together. I plan on putting several miles on this teardrop, so I want to build it right.
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Hey. Greg:

You and your dad are moving so fast on your build that I may get whiplash just lookin' at your pictures! :lol: Looking forward to seeing more! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:45 am

Hey Greg,

I think it is great that you get to spend time with your dad. My father recently had a knee replacement (at 82) and had some complications. He is doing okay now, but it was a sad reminder that he won't be with me some day.

Your teardrop is looking fantastic! And you are really destroying the concept of teardrop time. I'm up to about 12 months into my build and you have already surpassed me.

Keep up the great work and enjoy the time spent with your father.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Time

Postby shortgmanp » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:04 pm

My dad and I are workaholics, plus I have tried to organize and get parts delivered quickly. Also we work well together. This is our first build and we want to learn from this one. I really want to build a different type tear, but this seemed like a good starter. I can not post pics of my build for some reason, so I will tell you that we got all the oak trim cut today and will finish sizing and shaping it in the morning. We hope to put our first coat of varnish on the walls this weekend. We have already started to wire the inside and the trailer, and hope to finish it while the first coat of or varnish drys. Thanks for your interest. I really enjoy reading the post.
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Almost roof ready

Postby shortgmanp » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:59 pm

We picked up aluminum for roof today and plan on attaching it as soon as I get all coats of cpes on top trim. It will be sealed to tear with butyl tape between 1 1/2" aluminum flat stock. Hope to have ready to attach by early next week.
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

No time

Postby shortgmanp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:42 pm

I have ran into a problem. Since our fast start, dad and I have been too strapped for time work on the trailer for a few weeks. We have done some very small things, but at this rate it will be spring before it is usable. I wanted to take it on a quick hunting trip, but decided to tent camp because I just did not feel comfortable taking the tear without a couple more coats of Spar varnish. Maybe of Christmas we can get something done. :?
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Postby caffeine » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:28 pm

That is looking really sharp!
Eric

A morning without coffee is like sleep.
caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby fishfinder » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Hey Greg. Age is no barrier. I am 71+ and just started my own TD trailer. Got the trailer built and the floor put together. Doing it myself so have to wait until someone comes along to help with the heavy lifting.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:35 am

Add to that, the weather and holidays around November and December seem to put a damper on build time. From the looks of what you two have done already, you've already earned some building break time! You'll git'r done before the spring thaw, for sure! You can bet we'll be watching! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: No time

Postby teardrop_focus » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:41 pm

shortgmanp

I have ran into a problem. Since our fast start, dad and I have been too strapped for time work on the trailer for a few weeks. We have done some very small things, but at this rate it will be spring before it is usable. I wanted to take it on a quick hunting trip, but decided to tent camp because I just did not feel comfortable taking the tear without a couple more coats of Spar varnish. Maybe of Christmas we can get something done. :?

Don't worry. This type of project does indeed take time, especially when it comes time to finish up! "The devil is in the details" I've always heard... and from building a couple of car projects in my time, I certainly know it to be true.

Take a deep breath and work on it One Day at a Time. :thumbsup:

And I echo other's sentiments about doing a fun project like this with your dad. Believe me, he's more proud of it - and you - than you are!

:)

I can not post pics of my build for some reason...

At least you've managed to get the pics uploaded to the website. If you can do that, you can easily post your pics.

Try this:

Go to your album and click on a picture to make it appear in the larger size. The pic will usually appear in a new browser window (a separate page). At the very top of that new page with the bigger pic on it will be a URL (http://www...)

Click once on the URL at the top of the page to highlight it. Then, Copy it (press the Control Key at the same time as the C key - Cntrl+C) The picture's address info will be stored temporarily in your computer's memory...

Then, to post the image, go to the Post a reply box in your thread... and then Paste the address (press the Control Key plus the V Key - Cntrl + V)

Then place image tags [img]%20and%20[/img] on either end of the URL you've just pasted, like this:

[img]h%20t%20t%20p%20:%20/%20/%20w%20w%20w.mikenchell...[/img] and your picture will appear instead!

Like this:

Looks like a high quality build. Well done! :thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Spar Varnish

Postby shortgmanp » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Fourth coat of Spar Varnish put on today. Just 4 more to go!!!!!!!!!!
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals