My Offroad Venture (The Second Star) (UPDATED 11-10-09)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

My Offroad Venture (The Second Star) (UPDATED 11-10-09)

Postby 60LCConvert » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:42 pm

10/17/2009
I must say first that I am glad I have found this site, I have gained a lot of knowledge from those that have built before me. I am attempting to build this trailer in hopes of not ahving to close my shop. Maybe a different type of work for a welding shop but hopefully work none the less. My shop built custom projects for local copper mines and when the price of copper tanked I found myself looking for a way to keep my tools bust.
My idea consist of a offroad capable trailer that comes pretty well equiped sit on 33 inch tires and is quality built. The trailer frame is based on the length and width of my FJ60 as now this is being built for possible production I will probably have to find a happy medium for a vehicle size. more on that later. The suspension is bult with airbags that are common to semi tractors, they have considerable travel for a small trailer and I am sure that they will never see their load capacity in this application. The frame is all steel not because I think that wood is inferior but it is a welding shop and not a cabinet shop. All drawings are already redrawn to reflcet production breaking and future trailers will have an aluminum frame. Lots of things are still in the works as this is a learning curve for me. I hope you enjoy my build and I look forward to imput and comments.
Thank you,

Ernest :) [/img]
Last edited by 60LCConvert on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
60LCConvert
Teardrop Inspector

some beganing photos

Postby 60LCConvert » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:51 pm

60LCConvert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cokebottle10 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:37 am

I can not see it the photos but what happens when one wheel goes up and the other is in a hole? Is the flex just in the bushings? Can you show were the other tube that is above the axle is attached?

Thanks,
David.
cokebottle10
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Good point, most of the OR airbag suspensions I have seen are independent which could be achieved by adding two more laterals. Nice work and a good over all design.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby 60LCConvert » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:51 pm

Yes the upper links are indeed mounted in rubber bushings. As far as independant suspension on other airbag type trailers, yes they are independent of each other but being a swing arm design and less of an "A" arm design they don't act as seperate as you might think, one wheel can take a bump without effecting the other yes but as far as side to side lean not as much as you might think due to the width of the upper link pivots. This design should have all of and probably more flex tna a leaf spring set up, the idea for airbags came in being able to adjust ride height to accomodate trails and water crossings not neccisarily to twinst back and forth like a rock crawler. I have a set of "A" arms that I was toying with to make a true independant trailer, that will probably look more like a long travel sandrail front end than a trailer. I thought of this design and almost went that way but thinking of the future track bar and panard is easier in my opinion to set up and maintain than swingarms not to mention if i lose a bag the otherone will still carry the weight of the trailer.. I also think that I will have less camber or caster flex with a solid axle. with all of the bushings total flex is about 9 degrees side to side messured at the axle which equates to about 4.5 inches of travel at one wheel before the other is effected. This is a prototype so some things could change. The hitch will also be of the pintel type. Instead of useing a spendy hitch or designing one and then paying to have it tested for sale purposes i figure the pintel has been around since hmmm the cival war and is still used :) so again simple inexpensive and tried and true. Hope this helps.
here are photos of todays smallsteps

60LCConvert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby High Desert » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:05 pm

serious looking build, looks good and stout :thumbsup: Any projections on finished weight yet?

I'm also curious as to what are you using for an air source for the suspension?
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby pbrunicorn » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:26 pm

awesome another steel frame

I am a welder also and doing something similar.

What are your measurements? What are you skinning the inside and outside with?

Keep going :thumbsup:
pbrunicorn
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:36 pm

looks like one strong trailer.

keep the pic's coming.............. :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:

Wolfgang
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby 60LCConvert » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 pm

OK some details
inner skin is 5mm baltic birch
outer will be 5 mm baltic birch sealed with CPES and then clad with 16 ga alum
airsource will be on board air with facilities to air up from other air source (ie schrader valve)
projected finish weight 1500 or less (production model w/ alum structure and steel frame 1100 or lessas i will still be using a steel trailer frame
again keeping with common parts availability the shock is a stock LC FJ40 front shock
Bet you can't guess what my prefered vehicle is? :twisted:
inner sleeping area is 6'6" x 52" with no overhanging stuff over your feet (wife hated the idea of stuff over her feet)
total overal width is 5'10" matching width of FJ60, if the 60 will fit so will trailer
length of trailer from CL of wheel to tow point matches tow vehicle for maximum length while still tracking in same wheel patern
60LCConvert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 60LCConvert » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:52 am

doors giving me a headache cant figure out a good sealing method. I guess more research is in store
60LCConvert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:44 am

60LCConvert,

Love the suspension!

Prem :wakka wakka:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Russ in California » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:25 am

Land Cruiser? Did someone say Land Cruiser?
What a great tow vehicle. Especially for an off road TD.
Good luck on the new line.
8)

p.s. I have a 93 LC. My forth LC.
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby 60LCConvert » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks for the support guys. Just got back from wheeling in southern Utah, will have to get started on work again, will post more info in the next day or so, as soon as i get some more progress on the "Second Star" :twisted:
60LCConvert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:34 pm

You might want to look at the Ausie outback caravans for ideas http://www.kimberleykaravans.com has a picture of their suspension.
http://www.tracktrailer.com.au/?gclid=C ... TAodbSZfCg dies as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4BgNF8 ... r_embedded
shows suspension from underneath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrTNJae ... re=related

There Is also a US made independent suspension design http://www.adventuretrailers.com/suspension.html

If you make it in aluminum you will have a niche market amongst off roaders. I am modifying the suspension on the Mega-Mini but my intention is no where near what you plan on. The greatest good luck to your efforts.
Tom
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Second Star Gets a First Skin

Postby 60LCConvert » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:29 am

some of the progress being made on the Second Star proto type. Material is 5 mm birch on the inside and luan on the outside, luan will be covered shortly with a skin of 1/16 " aluminum. some progress also on the galley area. I have a idea for the doors as they progress I will post pictures.

60LCConvert
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Build Journals