Standie! or Another Puffin Clone

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:43 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know firsthand how heartbreaking it is to lose a friend. I'm glad you decided to bring Sam home. I'm sure she will bring you many years of happiness, loyalty and love. I agree, adoption is the way to go.
Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:53 am

A dog's life is too short anyway and when it is cut short.....Sorry to hear of your loss. Griffin will always be in your heart.

On the plus side, Samantha will find her own special place in your heart and just when you think your heart could shrivel up, she will puff it back up and fill it with love.

I wonder where she got those huge, stand-up, pointed ears?! ...Maybe a touch of German Shepard in her? She's a beautiful lil' cutie! ...Can't wait to see her when she's full-grown and had lots of your loving care. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby b.bodemer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:12 pm

Samantha is a lucky dog to have been adopted by you. And I bet she'll love traveling in your standie!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shopfabricator » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:19 pm

Gettin' a little done with the stain today, but mostly playin' with Sam.
She really is a sweetie and wants to stay right with me. I feel very lucky to have found her.
She gets the big ears from her mother. I saw the Husky for just a minute, but noticed the straight up ears. Samantha will grow into them and her Big Feet too!

She seems interested in the birds!
...materials can no longer be purchaced at quite those prices mentioned here!
shopfabricator
Donating Member

Postby shopfabricator » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:16 pm

Inside Stained, Outside White Primed, Sam Close.

Gary
shopfabricator
Donating Member

TT

Postby Chris D » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:01 pm

Gary,
That is one sweet trailer. It looks really nice painted. What kind plywood are ya using? Also sorry about ya boy I lost my guy about 3 months ago :( Sam will help ya heal though good lookin dog.

Chris D
Chris D
Teardrop Master

Postby shopfabricator » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey Chris! Sorry to hear about your buddy. :(
You are absolutely right about Sam helping me heal. I hope you will be able to Adopt another friend too!

The ply is all BC Ext. with the B side IN. It still requires a bit of sanding, but for the price versus Cabinet Grade, I couldn't beat it. I have had to watch for voids and fill as needed, but it hasn't been a big deal.
Now that the exterior has color on it I can really see what it needs for final finish. I will be sanding and filling with body filler before what I am sure will be two more coats.
The interior required Stain Conditioner before staining to keep it from looking blotchy. I'm pretty happy with the color and consistency and the rag from the conditioner acted as the final tack rag too! It will be getting a couple coats of poly with 120 grit sanding in between.
Hope this helps.
Gary
shopfabricator
Donating Member

Postby shopfabricator » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:02 pm

One more note on the plywood. I spent a good half hour picking through the pile. I had my tape measure and notes with me to make sure I was able to get sheets with no "footballs" or that "no stain filler stuff" that would be located in highly visible locations. Having done all that, I miss cut a sheet and then had to replace it so I would not see a football patch. Oh Well....
shopfabricator
Donating Member

TT

Postby Chris D » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks Gary,
Dogs truly are Mans Best Friend, unconditional love is a beautiful thing :thumbsup: . I really appreciate the info I allways like the look of the bc pine ply ,great grain. I hear ya on checking out the ply though they look at me like I have three heads at the lumber yard sometimes picking through the pile :lol: Hey he who pays says right.

Thanks Again

Chris D.
Chris D
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:49 pm

Did you do any painting on the inside? Any pics?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby shopfabricator » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Chris, That's right, If they want MY money.....

Mike, The only paint is the interior of the porta-potty closet. Used some high gloss latex ext. stuff that I use on small boats. To break up the solid wood stain color I have used a light pine stain on the "show" surfaces and a red chestnut stain on the floor, counter top and interior of the storage cabinets. The cabinets are of the "stuff hole" variety without doors so they make a nice accent to the overall look. Here is a pre-poly shot to give you an idea of the contrast.

I guess that by doing this, red will almost have to be the decorating "theme".
Gary
shopfabricator
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:49 am

Sad news about one friend, happy you got another.
She looks very very bright..... you will have to watch her, she will have you wrapped around her puppy tail in no time.

Loving the interior and shape of the holes in there.

Great progress.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shopfabricator » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks grizz.

Another Stain Contrast Shot.

Gary
shopfabricator
Donating Member

5x8?

Postby cappy208 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm confused. You mentioned in your first thread that this was a 5x8. Is this the carry on 4x8 nf trailer? I have not found this size anywhere. Northern tools does not seem to carry this. Is this the 4x8 nf, which you are cantilevering the sides to get the 74" width?

Just checking :-)
cappy208
Teardrop Builder

Postby shopfabricator » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Hey cappy!
This the 5x8 no floor trailer built by Carry-On Trailer Corp. and sold at Northern Tool and Tractor Supply Co. I have found the same model at both stores but it is always cheaper at NT.
The Northern Item Number is 125976. Current price in North Carolina is $369.99. This is up $40 from my last purchase. Black Friday will be a 10% off day if you can wait till then before purchase.
Hope this helps.
Gary
shopfabricator
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals