Quazi-ultralight the undertaking

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:47 pm

Rog,

Yup, Anza Borrego get chilly once the sun goes down this time of year. Been wanting to explore the mud caves out there for a while now. Maybe my next trip.

Don't know how i missed the fact you live out in El Cajon, spend a good part of my time in Santee and surrounding area years ago.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby RogHodge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:30 pm

I actually did something- really.
Okay not much but here is the latest. When we last left our hero he had ground to a halt on the tongue jack question. The swing jacks are too cumbersome and large to really work with my trailer. So I decided to adapt a scissor jack. I cut some angle iron to fit between the tongue rails and drilled through at a spacing that accommodates the jack. Then drill through the iron and the base of the jack. At this point I’m short a few bolts and need to run out to Lowes and grab a few more. I think its going to work out well.
Everything tucks under the tongue and looks svelte. The only down side is the relative short lift capacity. A block should clear that up though. I’ll post pictures after I replace the camera battery.
So there you have it some minimal progress. I can’t put off sawdust much longer.

Sharron- I had the thing licensed a while back- when it looked like a “factoryâ€
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 am

Rog,

It's nice to see that your back in action! I can't wait to see some more pictures.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby RogHodge » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:13 pm

As promised – Pictures!
Rather self explanatory-
Pic one is the cross pieces and jack- cut, drilled, and ready to go
Pic two has the cross pieces installed on the tongue.
Last but not first is the completed jack install. Jill was nowhere to be found
I might try to install a wheel or block of some kind under the jack.

For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

jack

Postby mvperini » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:58 pm

First that is a nice looking jack and hardware, i hate to burst your bubble but any pressure sideways on a sissor jack will cause it to bend or break, i would not put a wheel on the end of the jack. the reason i know this is i well i know :lol: :lol: As my wife says your just looking for an accident to happen

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby RogHodge » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:27 pm

**POP** :crying1:

Fair enough,- I plan to move (adjust the placement) the thing with human power (lift and shove) and use the jack for leveling. I may just put a block down after chalking the wheels- I know the lateral strength is minimal.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Saw dust has been made.
This is the start of the floor- 4/4 poplar with 1/4 luan ply
As you may be able to tell it's 5' wide.
The plan now is to fill the voids with some Styrofoam and place some more blocks at the bolt locations- then skin the bottom with 1/8 luan

After all but giving up due to cost and time I read the foamy thread and decided that would be the ticket to an easy inexpensive build

RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Woohoo! :applause: Good for you, Rog! We'll be watching for your build posts! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:57 am

Rog,

It's good to hear from you again. I think a foamy is a great way to go. No turning back now that your floor is done!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby RogHodge » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:29 pm

Merry Christmas to all-

Now then, an update. I insulated the floor with ¾ white foam. Easy job, until I tried to glue down the 1/8 luan bottom. First I ran out of tightbond III and had to improvise with plain old Elmer’s white. Not a big deal. Then on the second half of the bottom I realized how poorly my nails were holding the 1/8 inch material. Should have used staples I guess but too late now- brought the thing inside overnight with weights on it- didn’t work. Now the 1/8 inch is only marginally attached, so I squirted more glue in there and used real live clamps! Better but not perfect. My thought is that most of that part will be covered with tar and bolted to the trailer so not a big deal.

Next I created a ¼ inch ply template for the profile. I made some very minor modifications to the shape but it is real close to the plans.

Last thoughts and request for input. My plan at this stage is to use 1 inch blue foam for the walls and roof- the walls will have an 1/8 luan interior laminate- I grew weary of the search for foam and decided to use the 2’x8’ t&g the the local Blue box DID have in stock. The walls will sit in a chanel attached to the side of the floor- I can’t explain but may try to take some pics when I get closer. Any thoughts about this?

Also wondering about wheel well cutouts- how much relief does one give the tires? I guess as much as they have travel in the suspension.

Thanks for listening – now back to your Yuletide celebrations.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:24 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause: Very nice Rog!
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:24 pm

That looks like an attractive profile, Rog. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby RogHodge » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 pm

I have been doing a bit of work- slow progress in the hour or two I can catch during the week.

The floor is complete-ish. At this time it weighs 50lbs. not too bad.

I have been making trips to Harbor Freight to capitalize on the 20% off- nice to be within a mile of the store- now I have the complete set of running lights- still need a license plate light and would like to have a light bar/ brake light to put behind the vent.

I have been creating “skirtsâ€
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Re: ‘Quazi-ultralight’ the undertaking

Postby RogHodge » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:53 am

Fear not I'm alive

And making progress, either way here is the picture of the side skirt I mentioned a year ago. I'm now working on doors, I will post pics with witty comments soon.

And here it is after a year of rain and neglect :frightened:
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Re: ‘Quazi-ultralight’ the undertaking

Postby RogHodge » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Okay here's what I did for the doors. First I glued the door frame to the profile. Then glued the door casing down quarter inch away from the door frame. My next step will be to cut between the door and the casing and then run a router around the edges to eliminate small amount of ply that protrudes over the entrance. I would be happy to answer any questions. If this is a catastrophic mistake feel free to sit back and laugh rather than correctly at this point. He has dried.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals