Quazi-ultralight the undertaking

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: ‘Quazi-ultralight’ the undertaking

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:28 pm

There is alway more than one way to skin a cat, same for making doors. It looks like it will work out and you know the door and the opening will match and have the same size space around it. Keep it up.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Quazi-ultralight the undertaking

Postby Strop » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:41 am

Need some pictures of your walls and reports on fixing the foam. You have me thinking.

Laurie
Strop
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:40 am

Laurie, you might have a look at this link, it has a few more pictures and some thoughts about wall/roof attachment

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56056&p=1016920#p1016920

Also if "fixing" the foam means glueing to the ply i shall show you what I did. You may have to procure some gravity clamps. These are very difficult to come by. I have patent on this. So be careful. See pic
I used titebond to glue. I'm sure TBIII would work just as well if not better. Gorilla glue would be extremely expensive and that stuff is kind of a pain to work with. But it would probably be even better.
I poured the glue out of my 1 gallon bottle and spread it around using an 1/8 inch notched trowel. The trial has been the best option so far as using sticks or fingers or putty knives is more messy and doesn't provide even coverage.
Slap the foam to the ply then apply gravity clamps wait for a day viola' it's done. Glue dries much more slowly in this situation since one surface is impervious to moisture. However it eventually does dry and the adhesion level seems quite high. Although I have not used full human strength to attempt to rip the foam off of the ply it is quite stiff and stuck and I believe sufficiently so for our purposes

For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Hey, for what it's worth I'm going to post soon. I have walls and cabinet framed.
And with my delay I have passes my psychologist exam, now I have time.
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:09 am

Well there has been progress,
And while my intent was to catalogue each step... Well, I didn't :oops:
Ok so here are some pics
The first pic shows my vent cover, a bit massive I think. Likely going to be reduced
General galley shot and profile.
My phone has belled pics I may try to send some over
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.93 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:39 am

Well crud, if you navigate away from this page all text goes away :cry:
Imagine witty words of wisdom flowing forth describing each photo.
The brief version-
After hours of debate regarding style and materials I make a quick trip to HD
Template and pattern following bit creates 4 mostly identical 'ribs?' Notch the ribs in rather crude fashion. Gather the pieces for assembly- pray Alan Shepard's pre launch prayer. Glue and shoot the parts and Viola' I think it just might work!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.77 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:33 pm

Galley lid and blue foam skin coming together

So, question or thought, I'm thinking of wrapping the canvas sooner than later and running any wiring on the interior and/or underneath. This way I can camp even without power. At least for now. The other, 'cleaner' option is to cut channels in the foam and run wires in the wall. Any thoughts?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (47.11 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:41 pm

A few more shots of work in progress. I think we have a profile, BBQ and cooler storage- under galley, which I'm still not sure how to finish ??, and a door with window frame. And that massive vent cover will be changed to be much smaller
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.15 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.07 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Looks great!

I vote for channeling the wire, as long as you document where the wires are thoroughly! :NC
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Yes. +1

Run the wires. It won't take that long to do in the grand scheme of things. I tried to make mine so that it could be serviced later, up to and including pulling new wires later if need be. Not a slam dunk, but reasonably serviceable.

Once I had my individual fixture wires run down thru the walls to the baseboard, I used Wiremold home entertainment style wire chase to run my "homeruns" up to the (future) tongue box. The link here is for a kit, but I bought the individual components from the big orange.

Before skinning my inner walls and the galley side of my bulkhead, I planned out my wiring diagram and figured out where all of the circuits would run. Then I was able to route wire way grooves in the foam to pull wires down thru to the base after the skins went on. From there I drilled thru the skins and the backs of the Wiremold so the wires could be closed in the trim, but still be accessed. Routing and pulling the wires was tricky in some spots (make the passageways plenty big enough and don't make awkward turns or pull a big bundle a long way), but it is working out okay so far. (I really need to build an index for my build thread, like Zach did on X1, so that I can make links easier... 110 pgs and over 3500 pics makes it kind of hard to find things quickly.) Let me know if you are interested and I can dig back and post a link.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 pm

Wow! Rog, you're really coming along on your trailer!
...Looking Good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:40 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Wow! Rog, you're really coming along on your trailer!
...Looking Good! :thumbsup:

Rog,

I echo what Sharon said. Your teardrop is looking fantastic! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby RogHodge » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:10 pm

Greetings faithful friendly fans. Join me in electric secrets for this current phase of construction joy?
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=58807
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:46 pm

I have decided to 'Channel'' the wires. Most of the process if going to be recorded at think above, but since my first patient didn't show up, I'll put a couple pics here.
The original plan was to cut a 1" channel in the foam and cover that with a foam strip. Seemed like a good idea, but in practice was a bit af a hassle. Plan 'b' may seem like more work but I think in practice it is more usefull. I took my handy dandy sharpie and marked an outline where I wanted the channel. Set my dremmel to cut 1/8" deep. Used the' router' base attachment and free handed the 1/8' recess. For a few wires 1" seemed sufficient. At times I went closer to 2".
From there took another bit-rasp type- and hogged out the channel, careful to leave a 'shelf' of recess on each side. And Viola :thumbsup: as you can see I cut some strips of 1/8 ply to cover the grooves. Glued in with a little titebond II and smooth over with the vinyl mud.
Since I'm sound more of a hybrid I have no danger of going all the way through the foam, unless I go crazy, since I have the inner ply layer. I'm sure this technique can be adapted to many other projects :thinking: maybe 'central air ducts'?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.77 KiB) Viewed 2470 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 am

In my usual yet unintentional style, I left for an extended period and one have returned with the hopes of receiving an encouraging word from faithful followers.
image.jpg
image.jpg (83 KiB) Viewed 2323 times

So there we are ready for canvas, which I suspended from the pergola to facilitate the process
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 2323 times

While sharing the pics with a friend I was asked if I was going to perform a magic trick :thinking:
So I did.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (85.17 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals