Journey Begins

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby fishfinder » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Here is a little addition I have added to the tear. I used hardwood to make the car top carier brackets. The cross pieces are made from 3/4 inch electrical conduit and the privacy curtin hoop is 1/2 inch conduit so it will slide into the cross pieces. The uprights are tent poles.

Curtins on the windows. Notice the roof rack and the privacy curtin hoop.

Privacy curtin pulled.

I used shower curtins but I think I am going to have to get something heavier like two 6 x 8 tarps. that way I could stake down the bottom. Any comments on the curtin material would be appreciated.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:34 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
She looks great! Nice weight too! Now go out, have fun and remember to share the ride. :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby parnold » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Wow ff.. I just found this build today, and you built your trailer almost as fast as I could read the thread.

Excellent job!

For your curtain, you may want to consider ripstop nylon like they make tents out of. It's fairly easy to sew, extremely lightweight, and very strong. Typical price for 60" wide piece is about $8.00 a yard. I've found it to be the same price online and on ebay, and it's available in lots of colors.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:42 am

Hey Mike,
I had to go back a few pages to catch up, for some reason I haven't been getting the updates. Nice trailer that you have there, you should be proud. The cost of those bearings and trailer (349) is the same price as TSC is selling their "No-Floor" trailers. When I bought mine it was (299), I have always thought HF trailers to look inferior and so many TD'ers have trouble with bearings. I have been with mine to NC, VA, KY, and all around WV with mine and very happy with its performance. Before Spring I'll repack my bearings, but I have a bearing/hub pack from TSC to fit it if it should ever leave me on the side of the rode. I also carry a floor jack and jack stands for this purpose and when I get to the campsite for leveling/blocking it up. Love the roof rack/privacy curtain combo.
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby fishfinder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks guys for your comments. I haven't checked this site in some time. I like the "ripstop" idea. Will look for a source around here.

I went for the HF trailer because they were available. Don't think there is a TSC around me anywhere. The cost for the bearings was high because I had the store do it for me. Would have been a lot less if I had done it myself. So far I like my trailer. May change my idea later.

Off this morning to have the charge line from my TV to the TD battery installed. I have done this on a truck but my CR-V is pretty low to the ground and I am too old to be crawling around on the ground. :)

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby Ageless » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:25 pm

Mike; JoAnn Fabrics in town; and they have a seniors discount
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby fishfinder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks Dave. Port Orchard or Bremerton ?
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby Ageless » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:17 pm

PO, next to the bowling alley
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby fishfinder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:35 am

Thanks.
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:36 pm

A couple new comments. First I found some duck cloth at JoAnn's that I am going to use for my privacy curtins. Just as soon as I can figure out how to use the wifes sewing machine. :)

Finally I decided to get a tongue weight. I broke out the bathroom scales and ploped the jack wheel in the center of the scale. Opps, 170#'s and my hitch is rated at 150#. I cleaned out the tongue box and still was a little over 150. Nothing to do but remove the homemade wooden box and replace it with a light weight one from Walmart. After replacing the battery and a few items I was at 140. Good now ready to go. Lesson learned, weigh the tongue early.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby bve » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Mike you can try adding some weight in the rear of the trailer to offset the tongue weight a bit.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby fishfinder » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks Burke. I think when I fill the ice chest and add a little water to the water container it should do the job. Also load most of the interior stuff to the rear. I am confident that I will be alright. I only commented about the tongue weight to help some other rookie builder like me. :D

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:43 pm

I have upgraded my privacy screen and tongue box. Here are some photos.

Curtin frame ready for storage. Originally I was going to have to hoop intact but it stuck out too far so I cut it half and store it inside when traveling.

Full Hoop

Coupling

New curtin made from "duck cloth". I felt the shower curtins were too light weight for windy conditions

Curtin snapped to side of TD. This will hold the curtin in place along the TD. I also have grommets at the bottom of the curtin that I can stake down. You will see in previous pictures that I have tent poles at the curves to help hold the hoop up as well as create a corner.

Finally my new light weight tongue box. Doesn't hold quite as much stuff. ;)

I am ready to go but can't seem to find the time. This retirement is not for sissys

Mike :)
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals