Journey Begins

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby fishfinder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Oops Sharon, I forgot I was on a civil board. Over on my fly fishing sites the 'guys" are a little more set in their ways and many times quick to find fault with new ideas.

Anyway I just went down to the shop and checked out the drying progress. What I found was that the paint on the A C plywood was already dry however the paint on the luan was still a little tacky. Luan seems to suck up more paint. In hindsight I should have putdown a primer on this wood. I didn't because the company didn't think it was necessary. To aid in drying I have left the heat on low down in the shop overnight. Should keep it at least 50 F throughout the night.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby John T. Hodgen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Hey Mike,
The build is looking great...but a garage with a temp of. 50degrees is a waste not to take advantage of it! As John Waynesaid.."wasting daylight" as the term goes "I can get enough sleep after I'm dead". Lol. I spent some sleepless nights planning build and some long days of building.
How expensive was that rubber paint? I know some of that 2000 uniflex(?) is too rich for my blood unlessy lotto ticket hits :lol:
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby fishfinder » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:21 am

John the cost of the paint was only $51.00 a gallon. i'm pretty sure I can get at least 3 coats on the front, roof and galley hatch. This company has another thicker material but this is the one they recommended.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 pm

Update on the RC 2000. Overnight, with heat in the shop, the first coat dried. I just finished applying the second coat and it covered really well. I have enough left in the can to put another coat on the flat part of the roof and all the edges. I am feeling a lot more positive about this stuff today. And boy was the price right, ($51.00/gal). BTW I was reading more of their propaganda and I found a positive reference for using it on plywood.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Here is an update report. I applied two coats of the RC2000 to the front, top and galley hatch. And this morning I had enough to put a little more on top. Didn't want to waste a drop. ;) Today I went to the paint store to pick up some paint for the sides.
This is what I got.
They tried to match it to my car but I can say it is only close eventhough they made several adjustment to the color. It is essentially a light tan.

I have added a few more pictures to show my progress. I put on the first coat of the ArmorSeal but it so light it didn't show up well. I will take a picture after I put on the second coat.

2nd coat of RC 2000 on front and roof.

RC 2000 along the edge

Cabin doors and lighting

Galley lighting

Roll out shelf in galley

Moving forward slowly.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Over the last few days I have been making some progress. Today I was able to put some finishing touches on a few areas.

The roof vent is now installed.

The cabin door is complete and hung (minus the window). I have a double lock system to guard against "easy" theft. I have the windows but have yet to figure out the inside molding.

Finally I figured out a usable drip channel. I went to ACE hardware and picked a piece of U channel, cut it to length and attached it to the wall with epoxy.

In addition to the items I hooked up my AC/DC converter today. I hooked up a 12 v deep cycle battery and I had lights. Next I plugged the TD into shore power and everything worked. I now have both AC and DC power. Next chore is to begin the process of installing the rear hatch. That will be a huge milestone. Closer to the finish than the start.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby Ageless » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Looking mighty fine; guess it's time for me to do a QA on it :)
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bve » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Wow your really moving along Mike, looking good. :thumbsup:

What are the two white things on either side of the vent are those flip down reading lights?

Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby fishfinder » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 pm

Burke. thanks for the kind coments. The two little white gizzmos in the ceiling are clips for holding the cabinet doors up. You pull down on the latch and it has a catch to hold the door open. I'll try and remember to take a picture of them in action. :)

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:45 pm

More progress today. Still have a few problems to work out.

This is for Burke. Here is the gizzmo in use.

I installed the windows today. I am stuck on the inside trim. Maybe someone on this site can offer some solutions.

Started to install the hatch today. First picture is with the hinges. They will be covered with rubber. More pictures to follow on how that is done.

Wow it opens. I got to do something about those supports. :D

I will be starting on the hatch trim work next.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:34 am

Mike,

I really like those windows - don't really have any suggestions about the trim, because I need to figure that out myself. Your build is really progressing along nicely.

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby fishfinder » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:51 am

Hi Tom,

Just a note on the windows. They came out of another RV and are actually supposed to be installed rotated 90 deg. I drilled drain holes along the bottom edges. Also you will notice the little brown rod that I use to keep the window raised.

Good luck on your build.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:47 am

:o Mike you might be able to extend the trim by cutting it and putting in an extra piece in. Second solution is to get a wide trim to replace it.

Third solution is to make a wood frame for the opening and then put the trim on.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby fishfinder » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks Mariam. If only this window had square corners all would be easy. I have tried a couple times to cut a curved corner but it failed miserably. My pattern maker neighbor has been laid up but when he gets over his cold I'm hoping he will come and give me a hand. Meanwhile I plugged away at finishing the hatch today. Following are some pictures of my progress.

I began by fastening a 3/4 inch strip of auminum below the hinges.

Rubber roofing strip is placed over the hinges and attached with a aluminum strip.

Another alluminum strip is attached over the rubber below the hinge. The screws go through bothe the upper and lower aluminum strips.

Rubber is trimed and silicone applied along the edges.

Finally a D handle is attached to help opening the hatch.

Finally I really need to find a solution for my hatch supports.

I can almost say "mission accomplished." Still have to finish those pesky details of the hatch supports and window trim. I'm finally ready to install the running gear, axle, wheels and tongue. I'm going to take a few days off to let my brain cool off. I'll report when she is finished, if ones TD is ever finished.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Is this site great or what. I went on a search for some ideas on solving my strut problem. Thanks to Tom Swenson I found exactly the right solution. I shameously followed his design and it is perfect for my build.
Thanks Tom I hope you don't mind.

New strut.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals