Journey Begins

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby fishfinder » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Hit my first major road block today. My Harbor Freight trailer construction requires that I repack my wheel bearings. Another item on my bucket list. Anyway I got the bearings out and while cleaning them one of the bearings fell apart in my hands. What do I do now? I went to the local NAPA Auto Parts and low and behold they have replacement bearings. Except the new bearings are $25.00 each. After much soul searching I decided to cough up the money. At least I will have GOOD German bearings intead of the standard C@#$%^&e pieces of crap. So now my $339 trailer is going to be $439. Better to happen on the shop floor instead of along side the road.

I only mention this as a warning to any other HF trailer buyers. Watch your bearings.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 pm

Ok fellow TD builders. I have reached a big milestone. "The Wooley Bugger" is now up on her own legs. She actually moved a little in the shop. :thumbsup: Still have a tongue box to build, a little trim to install and wiring of the running lights. Won't be long now. :lol:

Doesn't look bad for a first build.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:43 pm

fishfinder wrote:
Doesn't look bad for a first build.

No, indeed, she looks good! Didn't cost you much either! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fishfinder » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks Sharon for the incouragement. I haven't added up yet but for sure it was less than buying a new one. I'm really excited about taking her out for a spin.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby GreatPumpkin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:30 am

fishfinder wrote:
I only mention this as a warning to any other HF trailer buyers. Watch your bearings.

Mike

Definitely want to watch/repack the bearings - I personally had a wheel fall off due to bearing failure on a HF trailer. Fortunately it was just the flat bed, being hauled empty - we were heading up the mountain for a Christmas tree. My fault, but lesson learned. :x :oops:
Custom Benroy/Grunman/Hybrid...In Progress
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:53 pm

Finished up the tongue box today. I only have piddly little things left to do. For all practical purposes MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Tongue Box. Battery compartment at top, water tank at bottom.
Battery in place. Notice vent above battery.[img]
Pretty much done. Notice the battery box vent.

It has been a lot of fun building. Of course I will be fine tuning things until she gets outside for maiden voyge.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby allisb48 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:34 pm

After watching this build I believe I can now accomplish mine. I didn't see where you finished off the trim around the window. Any pic's of that? I like the fish on the side to they set things off nicely. Great job!!! Now may I do as good with mine. Thanks for the inspiration. Let's see thoes pictures out on her maden voage will ya.
Got the trailer now what do I do?
allisb48
Teardrop Inspector

Postby synaps3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:12 pm

fishfinder wrote:I only mention this as a warning to any other HF trailer buyers. Watch your bearings.

Mike -

What is the procedure for repacking bearings on a HF trailer? It's on my to-do list too. :cry:
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:38 pm

synaps3 wrote:
fishfinder wrote:I only mention this as a warning to any other HF trailer buyers. Watch your bearings.

Mike -

What is the procedure for repacking bearings on a HF trailer? It's on my to-do list too. :cry:

Try this: http://www.trailer411.com/trailer-maintenance.html
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby synaps3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 pm

-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby fishfinder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Gee I thought I'd be done with posting by now. Didn't know anyone was really following my adventures. Anyway here is how I delt with the window frame issue. Using caulking I filled up the space around the window. smoothed it out and applied a couple coats of paint. Not fancy but works for me.

My last major decision was what to do with my spare tire. Originally I had planned to put it on the tongue but after I installed the tongue box there wasn't a lot of room left. After researching the TD&TTT site (repository for all good ideas) I decided to installed it up under the frame in the rear. Out of site out of mind. Hard to get a good shot but you can see the right tire in the photo.

Brought down some of my camping gear and loaded it into the galley area. It's getting close to kicking the tires and lighting the fires. :lol:
That brown box on the right contains my silverware tray which pulls out to the side.

Hauled that old mattress to the dump along with all my left over building waste today. Gee the shop looks a lot better. I have some foam and I am in the process of making up my new mattress. Only thing left is a little trim hear and there for aesthetic purposes.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby fishfinder » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Well today was rollout day. My neighbor and number one consultant came over and we rolled the Wooly Bugger out of the shop and hooked her up to the car for our maiden voyge.

Mike, Bob and Rocky looking over their work.

Ready for her first road test.

First stop was the gravel pit down the road to get her weighed. I was hoping for a little less buy happy none the less. 980 lbs with the galley loaded with my gear, minus and water, food or misc gear. I am sure she will come in under 1500 lbs when ready to go.

We took her out on the highway and she tracked beautifully at speed and I hardly knew she was back there. No sway or bouncing during our test run. Needless to say I am one happy dude. Thanks to everyone for all their help during this build. See you on the road.

:thumbsup:

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:07 pm

She looks cute! Congratulations! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:00 pm

i like it a lot! good job.
Louella
May the foam be with you.