Lawnjockies Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Lawnjockey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:09 pm

I welded the wood stove together this morning and placed it in the TD on 8" blocks. 8" seems to be what all the wall tent stoves use for elevation so I thought I would start there. The stove will actually be 2" higher due to the tile pad. Below are some pictures of the stove. The door is off because I am waiting for some parts. There will be a heat shield attached to the wall side of the stove and stainless steel on the wall.

As it sits right now there is 5" side clearence.
]ocko[/img]
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:18 pm

cool!

Good - job - "wjaun"!

... now lets see her lit! with smoke comming out the stack!
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby bve » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 pm

That firebox looks huge for the space it has to heat- as in way too big. What to you plan to use to insulate the floor from the heat?

No disrespect intended but that's larger than most tent stoves I've seen and they are designed for much larger spaces. I just can't help feeling that's a tragedy waiting to happen. :thumbdown: I hope I'm wrong.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:20 pm

It's not so much the size of the box, as the size of the fire.

That box is pretty big, though...
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:31 pm

My thoughts exactly. To be that close to a wall, you need a metallic heat-shield attached to the wall with non-conductive insulators. This heat shield cannot touch the floor to allow heat to rise from the floor. Thru time, even if the heat isn't enough to ignite the wood, it will dry the wood until it reaches 'paper ignition' (451F).

That size isn't much smaller than the woodstove in my house; which will heat 2000 sq. ft. easily
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:15 am

The cautionary notes are all looking out for your best intrests; do look at firplace installment code; and Im sure theres reasons that wood stoves are not installed in RV's by manufactures; and I dont beleive this is being overly ligitativly cautious.

I went with the dickinson propane stove with a self conatined combustion chamber and hads a cooler fire and is easily adjustable. (In a wood burning fireplace, I'll never forget putting a dry bamboo basket in the firplace at a friends house and was surprised at how much heat that generated in quick time; I through this experiment I do not recommend experimenting with burning dry bamboo baskets in indoor fireplaces ...).

That being said; there are wood stoves in boats; but the spaces are larger and not so close to bedding ... if you decide to use it please be carefull. Initially it sounds great; I hate to rain on your great progress, but thinking through the TD size and the fire combustable safty details is looks a little dodgy.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:40 am

. . . and remember that Casper may be in there with you - my concern would be that i'd roll over and scorch my arse
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:31 am

BC Dave wrote:
Lawnjockey wrote:I hope to use a Charlie Noble type cap. However they are very hard to find in 3" so I will probably use an imitation one. It really doesn't matter because I am going put a stuff sack over it when moving to keep soot from blowing all over the interior. I am looking for some scraps of 3" and 4" conduit to make my flashing. I am going to make up some double wall for going through the roof as well as giving an inch from any combustables there. There will be some expermenting along the way and once installed only small fires to start with.

Jocko

Pipe Stack Idea - Stove idea sounds great; thats what i originally wanted to do too; but couldnt find a stove at the right price / size that i was comfortable with. You sound like you know what your doing; re oxygen, backing, fire safty; CO2 etc.

So I went with a very nice but "spendy" Dickenson Newport 9000 heater (fireplace) ( I went way over budget on this, and I havent told my wife yet ... ) I'm in the process of installing the "ventless fireplace" in a CT,

It uses a double walled chimeny stack (3" outer 1-3/4" inner). You should ba able to set up something similar so theres no worries about oxygen & combustables and it helps keep the stack cool! Look up 3" double walled flex pipe; marine applications. Ide set it up with a longer exaust; then all the vent, cumbustion & gases are self contained in the fire place and stack; your safer that way.

... looking forward to seeing how the stove and TD turn out; your going at a good pace expecially in the cold.

Nice gun rack & bookcases too, (... guns for protection on the road?)

Cheers Dave

That's a nice looking propane fireplace!!! Does it need 12vdc too?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Lawnjockey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:51 am

Actually it is smaller than it appears. And it is about 10" shorter than my wall tent stove which is a small wall tent stove. The overall length is 14". This was dictated by wanting to have some useable cook surface plus an allowance for a 3" flue. It is also constructed out of 1/4" steel plate which is at least twice the thickness off wall tent stoves.

In regards to heat shields, as stated above, there will be a plate attached to the stove about 1 1/4 inches covering the entire side of the fire box on the wall side. There will also be a 1/8" 2' x 3' stainless plate mounted 3/4" off the side wall open at the top and bottom for air flow.

The stove it to be mounted 8" above a noncombutsable surface.

The fire box is "9 x 9" overall or 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 on the inside. I did have to bump this up a bit to have a useable door since the inside stop takes up an inch. The door is 5 1/2" square. The smallest air flow disk available is 3" If the unit proves to be too hot fire bricks are available to line the sides.

In regards to the size generally look at the Sardine which is 12" x 12" and look at the clearances used in Marine applications. If I recall correctly the Tiny Tot was about 8" diameter with the cook top kicking out to about 8" x 18"

Over the years I have installed several stoves in small spaces, mostly on boats. The general practice is to start slowly with small fires and do the hand test. The had test it to place your hand on any combustable surface and it you can't keep it there it is too hot. The thing is to install the heat shields in a way that generate air flow.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:08 am

The Dickerson units are propane, Even smaller are the Force 10 units. That said those are not wood fired appliances. Wood fired appliances need to be larger due to the nature of the fuel. I spent many years living on boats and house boats where the only heat was provided by wood stoves, that is years of daily use. I never had a problem and I watched them closely as fire on a boat isn't a nice thing. I was on a boat that did have a fire but that was due to a diesel heating system. There a copper fuel line work hardened and shot fuel on to a generator which ignited the presurized fuel. I did have a small fire in a home once, I was a teenager and I left my electric blanket on and it caught fire. Those things are dangerous.

There will be lots of ventilation.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:29 pm

I got a little time this afternoon so I welded the heat shield to the wall side of the wood stove and painted it. I also built the platform for the stove and tiled it with slate tiles. Not exactly what I wanted but what I could get. I then installed the oak trim around the platform. The platform has twoo vents on either side to allow air flow so as to avoid over heating. In my wall tent I just put a piece of plywood under the stove and it never get too hot so I am not worried about heat on the platform. I also cut a bund of oak plugs and plugged the platform and book shelf screw holes.

We have freezing rain here so outside work is out. I have the aluminum and trim for the skin but the weather isn't giving me a break.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 pm

mikeschn wrote:
That's a nice looking propane fireplace!!! Does it need 12vdc too?

Mike...

...Thanks; its very nice .... but very spendy; ( I cant beleive I bought it ) I just spendy-ed another 50 bucks on propane hook up parts too ... I'm hpoing to install tomorrow ...

You dont need to hook up to 12V DC but there is a 12 v fan for air cirtculation. I was looking at there "cozy cabin heater"; a little less expensive; no fan plus it has space on top to cook but you cant see the flames ...

Jocko more pics dude; sounds good; I wana see her fired up!

I do like the idea that you self reliant on a combustable material; ie wood, and the stove looks great so, dont get me wrong. It all sounds good and your sounding cautious ... you dont want to burn the little fellsa azz .... need updated pics; expecially with the fireplace stoked.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:59 am

I don't mind adverse opinions, hell I'm married.

I just like wood heat so I am going in that direction. This TD will probably never see power hook up so it is being made with that in mind.

I am mindful of the overheating potential but I will have a overhead hatch and the door can always be cracked too. In addition there will be a 6" porthole on the door and a 12" near my pillow so I think I got the airflow covered.

It is all fun.

I hope to have my tile grouted and the stainless heat shield installed today.

By the way, one thought I have if it proves to be too hot is to make a tray like an ice cube tray that wood or charcol can be piled up in and then place in the stove and ignited. This will keep the fire away from the sides like a fireplace grate.

You have a good looking stove, I have been on many boats with those and the put out the heat. You won't need the fan.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:04 am

Hey Jaakko (Finnish Spelling)

As I understood your part Finnish in heritage correct? Dont feel indifferent by having a woodstove in your tear. Its been done here before.

Back in a bit with a pic to show you. :lol: :lol:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:18 am

Ok for our Finnish friend Jaakko :lol:

Have Sauna Will Travel :D :D You know us Finns love our sauna and must basically have one where ever we may go. :lol:

Introducing the Travelin Sauna Tear ;)

Here is the sauna stove inside the tear.

Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals