Lawnjockies Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Lawnjockey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:32 am

Nice!!! My father brought a sauna back from Soumi when I was a kid.. It was a log building with a gas heater for the rocks. We put it near the pool. A word of warning to parents, never let your daughters go to teenage sauna parties.

I'm half Finnish and half Kiwi, figure out how that happened. You live in a beautiful place. It has been a long time since I was there. One time I took a boat ride from Stockholm to Turaku (excuse my spelling) another time from Helsinki to Copenhagen. When we were in Helsinki we would stay at the Marski. I enjoyed shopping at Stockhams (once again excuse my spelling) and visiting relatives summer places.

The Sauna trailer reminds me of a motorized lifeboat on San Francisco Bay with a hot tub and a commercial margarita machine. My father had a sauna on his boat. He had a wooden ruler hanging on the wall and when anyone asked what it was for he would say It is to separate the men from the braggards". Dear old Dad.

The sailor cap really tops the photo off.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:22 am

Lawnjockey wrote:Nice!!! My father brought a sauna back from Soumi when I was a kid.. It was a log building with a gas heater for the rocks. We put it near the pool. A word of warning to parents, never let your daughters go to teenage sauna parties.

I'm half Finnish and half Kiwi, figure out how that happened. You live in a beautiful place. It has been a long time since I was there. One time I took a boat ride from Stockholm to Turaku (excuse my spelling) another time from Helsinki to Copenhagen. When we were in Helsinki we would stay at the Marski. I enjoyed shopping at Stockhams (once again excuse my spelling) and visiting relatives summer places.

The Sauna trailer reminds me of a motorized lifeboat on San Francisco Bay with a hot tub and a commercial margarita machine. My father had a sauna on his boat. He had a wooden ruler hanging on the wall and when anyone asked what it was for he would say It is to separate the men from the braggards". Dear old Dad.

The sailor cap really tops the photo off.

Jocko

Jaakko

Stockholm - Turku is very popular amongst the ship routes as well as Stockholm - Helsinki route. ;)

The Hotel you stayed at is still there. Marski Hotel. Stockmans Department Store is still there too. Main attraction for the Cruise ship tourists as well as the Harbor where Silja Line and Viking Line travel to and from. :thumbsup:

Dont mean to hijack your thread but where are your relatives located at or their summer place? If you come over sometime you dont need to stay at Marski your welcome to come to us.
Were only about 30 minutes away from downtown. Like living in the country somewhat.

We certainly enjoy sauna all year round. Never know we may have one in a small trailer one day too. :lol:

By the way this song came to my mind about your background and heritage and how your parents met?

This is for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBfz5f7_xXk

Meet me in Stockholm :D Doug Sahm was a big fan of Stockholm and Helsinki. I met him once many many years ago. :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Lawnjockey » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:19 pm

I have family all over the country. We had so many visitors when I was a kid I even started to speak some Finnish, that was a long time ago. One time when I was a kid visiting there was a guy selling sausages from a cart in a park in Helsinki. They looked good so I decided to order one. With my mimimal Finnish I ordered "goma goila" Which I believe translates literally to "hot dog", once again excuse my spelling. Needless to say sausages are not known as hot dogs in Finland an I got a look from the vendor that I still remember. My wife wants to take the kids to Finland so we will be there someday.

Back to the TD, below is the stove sitting on the platform with heat shields installed. The 1/4 inch plate welded to the stove is set off 1 1/4 inches. The 1/8 inch stainless sheet has a 3/4 inch gap and is open at the bottom and top as well as most of the rear side. It is trimmed in oak with oak blocks keeping it off the wall. The tile still has some grey grout residue on it and that will be cleaned off once the grout cures.

The base has slate tiles on it and it is ventalated forward and aft.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Very nice, Jocko! :applause:
How about a picture of the cabin that will give some proportion? It's very hard to see the scale of this beautiful furnace from this picture.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Lawnjockey » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:36 pm

I got a little more done today. I did the final sanding of the bondo and I gave the entire exterior a coat of West epoxy. The epoxy went a lot further than I thougt it would. 33 squirts from the despenser pumps covered the whole thing. I squegeed it on to avoid getting it too thick. I will have some sanding to do. It looks like I'll have a couple of warmer days so maybe I'll get the skin on by mid week.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:15 pm

Impressive, Jocko. I take it that this teardrop is for you to take out by yourself? Are the wife and daughter not fond of camping?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Maybe I missed it....but how did you anchor the stove down? That baby ought to put out a ton of heat! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Lawnjockey » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:36 pm

The TD is just for me, between hunting and fishing and going to my hideout in New Mexico I spend a lot of time on the road alone. My wife used to climb mountains but these days she likes hotels better. Often the kids and I travel together on road trips with my wife flying in to meet us (she has a job). When we do that we do shorter days and stay in motels.

In regards to fastening it that is what the two 1/8 x 1 straps between the legs are for. Once I have it in exactly the right position I'll drill holes with a little right angle drill and bolt it down. Because it is slate I have to be careful where I drill so I didn't pre drill it. As far as bolts go the best thing to use would be the old brass closet (toilet) mounting bolts that are like a lag bolt on one end and a machine screw on the other. Those would allow removing the unit for cleaning, painting, etc without removing the bolt from the wood.

Yes there should be no shortage of heat. I can always leave windows, the hatch or door partially open. I can also turn down the damper and air inlet to slow it down a bit.

I almost fired it up today when I was doing the epoxy. I have a couple of 90s and a couple pieces of flue pipe. I thought about running the pipe out the door while I had the trailer outside. The only reason I didn't is it looked like it might rain and then it would be a problem brining it back in the garage.

I made a template for the flashing today so I just need to scrounge a 2' length of 4" conduit and some 1/8" mild steel plate. The flashing is going to provide some support for the flue so I want it to be stronger than normal.

I hope to get it fired up this week.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:37 pm

doug hodder wrote:Maybe I missed it....but how did you anchor the stove down? That baby ought to put out a ton of heat! Doug

Um, if that thing is in a teardrop, he's going to be able to take a sauna in there, and then cook a turkey for dinner.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Lawnjockey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:59 am

Geeze, you guys sound like some of the guys I hunt with. They snivel about my tent, Le Casa Grande, and make jokes about the Persion carpet and fireplace, then at 5:00 am when it is 10 f they all seem to find an excuse to slither in and drink my coffee.

I believe the safety issues are being addressed. As far as over heating is concerned the windows, doors and hatch will cure any issues there.

The unit looks bigger in pictures than it does looking at it. The flue is 3" so that should give an idea as to size. It has a smaller footprint than most of the gas or liquid fuel stoves pictured on this site. The TD does not have the tradititonal TD galley set up, thus more interior space for its size. The stove is for heat and cooking. The stove is about the same size as the smallest ice fishing shack and marine stoves. There is a certain minimum size that the fuel requires and I am about there. In the conditions I camp in a nice dry warm place will be welcome not to mention the drying effect of wood heat on clothing. I am considering a small shelf outside the larger porthole for my beer cooler, I like them cold.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:37 am

Jocko,
I really like the wood stove, brings back memories of my Dad's wall tent when I was a kid. :thumbsup:
During hunting trips it'd be sub zero outside and I'd be hugging the ground trying to stay cool because he and his buddies would have that thing crankin' during their late night card games.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:56 pm

caseydog wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Maybe I missed it....but how did you anchor the stove down? That baby ought to put out a ton of heat! Doug

Um, if that thing is in a teardrop, he's going to be able to take a sauna in there, and then cook a turkey for dinner.

CD

A Finnish Made Multipurpose Tear... :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: Way to go Jaakko. :thumbsup: ;)

Jaakko poika can varm it dat makkara, take it dat Sauna and cook it dat kala soppa and varm it dat kahvi too. Now dat is multipurpose. :lol:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Lawnjockey » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 pm

Today I installed the aluminum skin. It was an interesting job single handed and I have a few words for that unforgiving caulking tape but I'll hold them back for a change.

The TD is spending its first night outside. I still have to install one piece of edge trim and skin the door but the hard part is behind me.

Jocko (aka Jaakko)
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:48 pm

go jacko go; go jacko go ...

need some update pics; your going fast!
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:04 pm

Lawnjockey wrote:Today I installed the aluminum skin. It was an interesting job single handed and I have a few words for that unforgiving caulking tape but I'll hold them back for a change.

The TD is spending its first night outside. I still have to install one piece of edge trim and skin the door but the hard part is behind me.

Jocko (aka Jaakko)

Pictures?
:pictures:
:pictures: :pictures:
:pictures: :pictures: :pictures:
:pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:
:snappy: :snappy: :snappy: :snappy:
:snappy: :snappy: :snappy:
:snappy: :snappy:
:snappy:
God Bless

Cliff