Lawnjockies Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Lawnjockies Build

Postby Lawnjockey » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:17 pm

I am converting an ATV trailer I made a few years ago into a teardrop. This isn't going to be a fancy one, just a workman like job. I am going to be using this on my frequent trips between Tennessee, New Mexico and California.

The first thing to do is reweld a couple of funky welds that were cracking. I finished removing the deck today and I wired up a pigtail for plugging in my welder to the house dryer circuit. I am also going to lengthen the trailer by adding to the front and back thus keeping the frame geometry the same.

I have taken a few pictures but I haven't figured out how to post them yet.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:57 pm

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Lawnjockey, I like the level of commitment to a theme with your profile. One can only imagine what you will name your teardrop?? :lol:

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caffeine » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:31 pm

Keep taking those pictures, even if it takes a while to post them. I wish I had taken more.
Eric

A morning without coffee is like sleep.
caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lawnjockey » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:17 pm

I pick up my steel for the trailer mods tomorrow. So, if it isn't raining again, I'll start cutting and welding. I'll take more pictures and if I ever figure out how to post them I will.

By the way, I think I got a good price on the steel, $34.00 per 20' of 1/8 wall 2 x 2 square tube.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Well I started cutting and welding today after picking up my steel. I am adding 12" forward of the axle and 8" behind. To do this I cut the existing frame square, staggering the cuts. I will insert pieces and weld them in place. Once done I will sister the areas where the inserts are since I am not the greatest welder. I will also add gussetts where appropriate and beef up the tongue. I cut the steel with a Sawsall with a bymetal metal cutting blade. I have a cutoff saw but but that wouldn't help on the existing frame cuts. I was surprised how easy it cut so I used it to cut the inserts too.

I got a late start so I will finish welding tomorrow and start decking.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Image Jocko. Do you have a digital camera. If so then load the pictures into your computer. Then you will need to resize them and upload them to your galley.

This will help explain:
http://www.mikenchell.com/pichelp.html

Steve Trip has put lots of interesting tools in the Newbies section to help. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=11199

Looking forward to the pictures! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Lawnjockey » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:41 am

I have a camera and I have been taking pictures. With my computer skills it will probably take me a couple of hours to figure it out but I will do it.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:26 pm

After a weather induced break yesterday, I finished up welding the frame up. Well almost, after hauling everything back inside the garage I noticed I had not welded on the tongue jack. Always something. I'll take care of that tomorrow then prep and paint the frame. If I am energetic I'll pick up the decking too.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:47 am

Yesterday I picked up the decking, fasteners and template stock. The weather was still not good enough for outside work. This morning I woke up to snow so I lofted the profile in the kitchen while the wife was out shopping. Once the layout was done I cut the template then I put the wall lines down on the kitchen floor. I put my sleeping mat down and tried it out for size. I invited the dog in and the cats gave their approval.

In regards to the actual laying out of the lines for the forward curve I made a large compass out of a batten by drilling two holes the distance of the radius apart. One for a tack and the other for a pencil. It worked great with no flexing. For the aft curve I used a 10' length of 1/2" pvc pipe to form the curve. This allowed me to tweak it with ease until I was happy with the curve. Once happy I ran a pencil line down the edge. Like they say, faster, cheaper, better.

On cutting the template stock I left the line. That means cutting to the outer edge of the line. I used a Bosch jig saw with a metal cutting blade. This gave a finer cut. The next step will be to smooth out any waviness using sandpaper wrapped around a scrap of wood. If I had not left the line the template would be slightly undersized after sanding.

I took more pictures and maybe I might try to figure out how to post them soon.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:57 am

I took more pictures and maybe I might try to figure out how to post them soon.

You keep threatening to do that. Stop teasing us.

:lol:

Step One: Can you get the pics onto your computer? Let's start there, cause one you can do that, it's pretty easy.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Lawnjockey » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:14 pm

I just finnished painting the trailer after finishing the welding, including the tongue jack this time. I cleared enough space in my garage shop to get it in out of the cold for painting. I cranked up the kerosine heater and promptly set off the smoke alarms.

If the paint sets up in this cold I will deck it tomorrow and varnish the deck.

I clamped up the template of the profile and I did not like it as much as I did when I made it up in the kitchen. The aft curve is fine but the forwar one just isn't right. I think I might just go for a simple 2' radius forward and use the aft curve.

I guess it is time to go shopping for some plywood. I am going to do several coats of varnish on the deck and while I am doing that I may as well be working on the sides.

I will down load some pictures to my computer tomorrow and then give posting them a try.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Well I was lazy today and goofed off, went for a run, etc and didn't start work on the TD until 4:00 pm. In the few hours I worked on it I got the deck layed out, cut and clamped into place.

I had a very informative conversation with another member via PM and I will incorporate many of his ideas into my TD. My goal is to keep this as simple as possible and the advice I received will help in that direction.

Tomorrow I will fasten the deck and pick up the plywood for the sides.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Lawnjockey » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Photo test

Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby caseydog » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Lawnjockey wrote:Photo test

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member