Retro-Kamper (Puffin for Four)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Jst83 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Donutboy wrote:Caught the final day of the West Marine sale today, and loaded up on West Systems Epoxy. Guess I gotta figure out how this stuff works now.

:shock: Wow looks like you're set, I'll be watching because I'm gonna be doing the same thing here in a few months
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:46 pm

Donutboy wrote:Got the final skin on the outside. Need to build a hatch for the air conditioner next.

Jerry, your TTT is looking great!

Donutboy wrote:Caught the final day of the West Marine sale today, and loaded up on West Systems Epoxy. Guess I gotta figure out how this stuff works now.

The first time I used epoxy was on my build. I had put it off because I thought there was some mad scientist, weird alchemy aspect to it. Actually, it was no trouble at all. Just measure correctly.

I don't know what speed hardener you have (I used Raka) but if it is a slow or medium, and we're having a cooler day here in Texas, you may want to heat the mixed batch for 10-20 seconds in the microwave to make it thinner. By the way, the plywood for my teardrop had sat around for about a year before I applied it. You'll be amazed at how much of the first coat is absorbed.

Gig'em, Tom :thumbsup:
Last edited by aggie79 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby angib » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:19 am

aggie79 wrote:The first time I used epoxy was on my build. I had put it off because I thought there was so mad scientist, weird alchemy aspect to it. Actually, it was no trouble at all. Just measure correctly.

And, on the first one or two jobs you do, think how much resin you will need and then only mix up half of that.

You will be caught out at some stage by the epoxy going off before you have used it all - everyone, without exception, does this once or twice - so you might as well make the mistake with a small quantity rather than with a large one...... :thinking:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:46 am

Jerry,

We've been waiting to see this one. How's it coming?
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Donutboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:20 am

Hi all. Working slowly but surely. I've filled and sanded smooth the gajillion screw holes and also the seams with epoxy and filler. That took quite a while. I would have posted pictures but there's not a lot to show.

I've applied the fiberglass tape to the seams on top and have applied the first layer of epoxy over that. Next I need to "first coat" the entire camper and then start sanding.

Several "life events" have slowed down my progress, including getting our house ready for sale due to a company relocation. Now I have to clean up the garage everytime I go out there. At this point the race is on to get the camper "towable" (waterproof with running lights) before we sell our house and have to move. Except for the plumbing, sealing the bathroom and installing the showerpan, and bolting down the appliances, the inside of the camper is mostly completed.

Thanks for asking!
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:34 am

Jerry,

Thanks for the update. Your TTT is one of my favorites.

As soon as I get my TD built, I am going to start a TTT that will heavily "borrow" from your design.

Good luck with your house sale and getting your TTT ready for a move. Please keep us posted on your progress after you get settled in your new home.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi Jerry,

Please update us on your progress!

Thanks, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Donutboy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 am

Hi all. It is about time I posted an update. We did sell the house back in May, and moved to Austin, which was about 200 miles away. As the closing of the sale and the move date drew near, the race was on to get the camper towable--not necessarily finished, but street legal and watertight. I did manage to get three coats of epoxy on, with a thorough sanding between each coat.

The camper lived in my Father-in-law's garage for about a month (Thanks, Barney!). Once I made room in the new garage I did a one day turnaround trip to go pick it up. Since the appliances aren't yet bolted down, I just set the microwave and toilet down in the floor, and hooked the camper up. Drove it around the block a few times and nothing went wrong, so I headed out. The first few dozen miles were somewhat of a white knuckle driving experience. The trailer didn't do anything weird, I just wasn't used to pulling one. Over the course of the trip I relaxed, and towards the end of the journey I almost forgot it was even behind me. I'm happy to report nothing cracked, fell off, or broke in half!

Above is a pic taken en-route when I stopped for lunch and for gas. The only down side is I only got about 12 mpg pulling it behind my wife's Pilot. But that was at 70mph or so. I think I need to slow down a bit to improve the mileage.

I have now resumed work to finish it up, and am getting ready to paint the camper white. I have posted some pics in the album. The magenta stuff you see in the pics is the epoxy filler, used to fill voids in the wood or fair the surfaces together.
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Jerry,

Your Retro-Kamper sure is cool! You pack an amazing amount of function in a compact and attractive package.

Please post pics when you get her painted white!

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Retro-Kamper

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 am

Hi, Jerry

I'm looking to build something for my 9-year-old twins and me, something that will last as they grow to teen-agers. So your build is really of interest to me.

So, any idea what it weighs now? I'll be doing a stripped down version of anything I build--no refrigerator, no stove (I'm a Coleman cooker), no ac, partly for weight savings, partly because I prefer primitive. :lol:

Next, what do you have supporting the bunks at the ends? What weight wood, any metal support in the walls, etc. And how much do you think each bunk will support? I'm thinking of buying a camp cot from Cabela's that will support 200 lb + and mounting that somehow. But I still need to think about the wall support.

Finally, what did you skin with? Is is 1/4 inch, or did you consider 1/8 inch?

Thanks,

Catherine, planning stages
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:39 am

You've made a terrific looking camper that can only get better. Can't wait to see the final pictures! Congratulations on a successful move. :thumbsup:

I noticed that you bought the blue Boomerang pattern of Formica. I think that I recently read here that it is being discontinued; so, you're one of the last people to get that one.

:thinking: I'm guessing that you'll have twice as much as you need; so, you could probably sell the rest, here, on the forum, to someone who might be building a retro-camper or teardrop, if you were so inclined.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Donutboy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Progress report:

I've been getting the camper ready to paint. I've been removing the windows, lights, doors, etc. I've also been filling low spots in the wood to get it smooth. When I have left over epoxy / filler I've been using it to start sealing the shower area, just to use it up. Will concentrate on the shower after the outside is complete. Got carried away with my sanding on the front curve and went through to the wood. Layed three more coats of epoxy on the front to seal it again. If all goes well the paint will go on next Sunday.

Hi Katherine,

I'm not sure what it weighs. The original Puffin built by Steve Wolverton weighed in at 796 lbs. I would guess mine will be heavier, due to a larger frame (5'x8' versus 4'x8'), and I probably over built in areas. also, I may have installed some things Steve didn't (RV power center, for one, and the on-demand water heater will be another) Would guess the final weight to be about 1000 lbs. I'll definately find out when its finished, just to satisfy my own curiousity. If you haven't stumbled on the original Puffin thread, do search for it--Steve's camper served as the model for my own.

For support I used closet rod brackets from Lowes. My 10 year old son currently weighs about 60 lbs. I'm guessing 2/3 of the weight (head to waist) will be supported by one end of the rod, and the remaining 1/3 of the weight (legs) will be supported by the other end. Even if/when my son weighs 100 lbs, that would be about 66 lbs at one end. I'm guessing that is will within the weight of a fully loaded clothes rod. I haven't decided on wood dowels or metal poles yet. I will make a little mockup outside the camper with 2x4s and an extra set of brackets and load one down until something fails just to be safe.

The wood the closet rod brackets are mounted on is poplar. Before I attached them to the walls I drilled holes for the closet rod brackets and installed t-nuts from the back side. The closet rod brackets are held on with Stainless Steel machine screws that screw into the t-nuts. The wood goes all the way to the floor of the camper, so the floor is supporting the weight, and they are screwed and glued to the sides of the camper.

I skinned it with 1/4" plywood. That seemed easier at the time. Were I to do it over I would probably do two layers of 1/8" on the curves for easier bending.

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't realize they had stopped making the Boomerang pattern. Yep, I had to buy a 4x8 sheet. I could sell my remaining piece, but it would also be nice to hang on to it in case I decide to build an outside table or something. :) Will keep that in mind, though.

Cheers all,
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby YuGun » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:44 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
YuGun
The 300 Club

Postby Donutboy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:47 pm

Bought the paint today, ending one of the more difficult decisions I had to make.

Editing the post to add the name of the paint for search purposes. Benjamin Moore M22. This is similar to P22. One replaced the other, but I forget which.
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Nice

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Suscribed
Jeeper92
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals