The Smith's First Teardrop!!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Smith's First Teardrop!!!

Postby Spottersmitty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:12 am

Hi! I'm Matt, and my wife is Jennifer. We have been dreaming about a cross-country trip in a teardrop for awhile now. Finally, after much searching on the internet and classifieds, I came across a pretty good deal...at least I hope. I got it for $500. Our budget for this project is $1500, so that leave $1000 for the rest of the build.

Last Friday, I drove down to Columbia South Carolina where I met a really cool guy that was selling his project. He had gotten into Teardrops a while ago, and this was his first one to build. He bought a 5x8 trailer from his buddy for $100. That was a pretty good deal!
Then, he strengthened the tongue.
Then he disassembled it to paint it.
He also added 2' to it to make it 5x10.
Then, he started framing it.
He put Australian Cypress hardwood flooring in it. He works at a hardwood flooring place, so that was a sweet deal. I don't think it cost him anything. He also added this "cubby" hole in the bottom. His plan was for storage as well as a really cool table. He wanted to get a special mattress made that was split in half. When not in use, it could be doubled-up and made into a couch. The "table" would open up, and you could sit on the couch with your feet in the hole and the table to eat on or play cards or whatever. I thought it was a great idea for rainy days or whatever. My wife isn't too sure about the split mattress though.
He added the sides which are American Cherry.
Then, he cut the hole for the window and installed it. It is single pane glass. Will that insulate enough?
He started putting the ribs up. You can see the compartment in the back wall for the 2 12volt batteries he was planning on using. The plan is to have an access panel from the interior if there is a need to get to the batteries.
He took it home to his house to wire it up. As you can see, the A/C is in the front. I'll have to build some type of box to cover it when not in use.
At this point, that is where Jennifer and I have taken over. We haven't really done anything yet because I'm still finishing up my 1963 Volkswagen Beetle project. It's almost done, so we should be starting on the teardrop just after Christmas. I'll do my best to keep you updated with lots and lots of pictures. Feel free to give me advice or your thoughts since we don't really know what we're doing! :thumbsup:
Spottersmitty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:20 am

Hi, Matt and Jennifer:

Welcome to the TD & TTT playground! It looks like you got really lucky by getting a partially completed teardrop done with such quality. You even got the pictures to go with it! Fantastic! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Spottersmitty » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks for the welcome, Sharon. We're so excited about it, and it's nice to hear that someone else thinks that we did well on our purchase. We'll keep the pictures coming. I'd love to hear your input as we go along.

Matt
Spottersmitty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi Matt and Jennifer - welcome to the forum. Wow! I'd say you hit it out of the park with this deal. Great documentation with the pics provided too. Since the original builder was so thorough, did he have or provide a completed set of plans drawn up for what the finished project would look like? I think it's pretty self evident at this point except for detail.

Matt my only advise for you would be to lighten up a little and not take things so seriously with your avatar. :lol:

Look forward to your progress.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby emiller » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:53 pm

Doesn't look like you need advise. Your doing very well.
:thumbsup: 8)
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:40 pm

The floor looks a bit heavy, but it appears that truck will have enuf power. Gonn look awesome when finished! I bought two boxes of clearance sale laminate flooring for mine.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:12 pm

What a great start, Matt!

About that window, that looks like a standard house window. It could be quite fragile for the application. I would worry more about that than how many panes it has.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:39 pm

Amazing deal!!! :applause:

Congrats!
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby DasBaldGuy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:55 pm

Seems like a very good price!

I would remove that window though, it doesn't look like tempered glass and is probably for "office" or "House" trailers, not campers.

Can't wait to see more progress!
DasBaldGuy
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:28 am

DasBaldGuy has a good point. If the glass is not street legal, do whatever works for you and your state DMV.

Here are a couple ideas: There's a film you can purchase and apply. Check with your local hardware and/or glass store. The stuff is used on old sliding glass doors in some parts of the country, to make a home legal to sell without replacing them. Using this film, all you are trying to do is to be certain that, if the window breaks, the glass shards are contained so that it doesn't cut anybody or puncture anybody's tires. ...Or, you might be able to take the window to a glass shop and get the glass replaced. ... Or go to the hardware store and get some Plexiglas and do it yourself. Again, do what makes it legal in your state, if there are rules on that, and whatever works best for your situation.

As far as whether you'll be warm/cool enough, you can always buy and modify some insulated curtains for the window...Not a big deal.

Assuming you won't have brakes on your trailer, as you continue to build, do watch the weight to keep it within the limits your state allows for a trailer without brakes and within the manufacturer's limits of what your tow vehicle can handle. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Sweet shop. I want one.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Spottersmitty » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Sparksalot wrote:Sweet shop. I want one.

I wish it were mine, but that is Adam's, the guy that I bought the TD from. Mine is just the basement of my house.
Spottersmitty
Teardrop Inspector

What's Next?

Postby Spottersmitty » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 am

So, I'm just about finished with my '63 Volkswagen Beetle, and that means that I'm about ready to start work on the Teardrop. Because I've never built one before, and because this is someone else's project that I am taking over, what's the next step? Do I buy the inner ceiling and put that up, run the rest of the wiring, put insulation in there, and then put the roof on? Give me your experience and words of wisdom. Thanks in advance...

Here's a picture of my bug...
Spottersmitty
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Smith's First Teardrop!!!

Postby vwbeamer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 am

Cool, another Vw guy :thumbsup:

I have a 1956 Beetle and a 2001 Jetta and a 2010 jetta on the way!

Good luck with your project.

Here is my 63 I sold about 5 or 6 years ago

vwbeamer
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 am

Nice 63 bug.

I have a 63 also, not in good shape right now. It was delivered in Iceland so it has the European metric speedometer in it. I might get to work on it in another year.

Been saying that for a very long time.

:oops:
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals