ultra light build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 pm

georgedombeck

All the weight is in the Galley so I dondt know why the designer put the axle that far forward.

It is not uncommon, when travelling, to use the cabin area for storage of, say, an EZ Up canopy, chairs, table, etc... the distance of objects placed from the axle will greatly influence tongue weight.

George, what will you be using as this teardrop's tow vehicle? I cannot recall reading any info about that...

If it's a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive 'Merican car or truck, then tongue weight should be, typically, 10-15% of the trailer weight.

If you plan to use a compact-class, front-wheel-drive car, then shoot for 8% tongue weight.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby georgedombeck » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:10 pm

My tow rig.Image
georgedombeck
Teardrop Builder

Postby bve » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:10 pm

georgedombeck wrote:...I dondt know why the designer put the axle that far forward. I am having a ton of fun with it. I am going to glue the Stainless roof panel on today. g

Keep in mind the designer also had different build materials in mind.

Glad you are having fun with it.

Did you come up with a plan for fixing the stainless to the walls? I saw your other thread.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby georgedombeck » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:14 pm

I think I will use a angle trim on the bottom of the wall to support the side stainless, along with the wall to roof trim to fasten the rest of it. I will use construction adhesive too. That should be plenty. g
georgedombeck
Teardrop Builder

Postby georgedombeck » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:15 pm

My tow rig is an 83 chevy blazer, converted to a panel truck,which I did myself. Lowered too. g
georgedombeck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:54 pm

:thinking: If only the top half of the galley will be open to the hatch what will be done with the space of the bottom.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:15 pm

bve wrote:
georgedombeck wrote:...I dondt know why the designer put the axle that far forward. I am having a ton of fun with it. I am going to glue the Stainless roof panel on today. g

Keep in mind the designer also had different build materials in mind.

Glad you are having fun with it.

Did you come up with a plan for fixing the stainless to the walls? I saw your other thread.

Burke

Also keep in mind that the designer might not have had such a heavy galley in mind.

That's why everyone should use Andrews spreadsheet to optimize their design.
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear81.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby georgedombeck » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 pm

space under the galley will be storge, built in cooler, and water tank for sink. g
georgedombeck
Teardrop Builder

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:15 pm

georgedombeck

My tow rig is an 83 chevy blazer, converted to a panel truck,which I did myself. Lowered too. g

Looks great! I'd rock that for a td tow rig... along with one of those new HHR panels. And I'm a Ford guy.

:lol:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby georgedombeck » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 am

What about that newer ford , kinda suv thing. All the drag racers use them for chase cars. I like them. g
georgedombeck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ageless » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:51 pm

Don't know what engine they ran in 84 but I have a 91 with the Vortec V6 and that engine has tons of gitty-up
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby georgedombeck » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Its a 4.3 v6, plenty of power for me. Had a v8 Astro van, that was a little too much motor, fun though. g
georgedombeck
Teardrop Builder

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:09 pm

georgedombeck

What about that newer ford , kinda suv thing. All the drag racers use them for chase cars. I like them. g

Which one?

The Ford Flex... http://blog.niot.net/blog-images/07_Aug ... e-plan.jpg

Or the Ford Edge... http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/still ... 40_046.jpg

I like the Flex, but it's expensive! I'm building my tear to tow behind my front-wheel-drive hatchback. My "second" tear might be a more luxurious build... in which case I could then use a larger tow rig.

For now, though, I'm good with what I've got and, again, I do like your S10!

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby georgedombeck » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Ford Edge. I love it, and I am not a ford guy. Although I have this in the garage now too...
georgedombeck
Teardrop Builder

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:16 pm

You are getting seriously complicated.

A built in ice chest sounds good, I worked on it for a while, but it is a lot more complex than it sounded (to me at least) and I opted for a simple ice chest I could move around.

Your design is the same size as mine. I have precious little space in that galley on a good day. I don't consider it enough space to do any serious cooking, but it is a great place to store and organize foodstuffs and the necessary hardware (including a dutch oven).

KISS.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals