Somewhere In ND Build Journal. (Ok prebuild)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Somewhere In ND Build Journal. (Ok prebuild)

Postby SomewhereInND » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 pm

I will be starting it in the spring.
Here are my plans, and I want advice if you think I am off base.

I think I like the trailer from TSC over Harbor Freight, for 3 reasons:
1. It doesnt have extra stuff on it like folding trailer components, casters for when trailer is folded, etc. They are just going to be cut off anyway.
2. There is a TSC in my home town.
3. I havent actually seen a HF trailer, just images, but it looks like the TSC trailer has beefer steel. HF is usually on sale for less, but cheaper isnt better.

Galley:
A simple galley for now, just a shelf, with a middle support, no sink, no builtin water supply, no drawers, no cubbie holes, no built ins in general. Just put stuff in boxes for now, maybe after I figure out how I will end up using things, I might make more permenant solutions. Basically, KISS. Also, easy to clean.

Electrical:
I do have a CPAP machine, so for now I will just temporatily have a battery, inverter, cheap charger, AC powerstrip with a fuse, and a long cord for external power.
Lighting: KISS I think I will just use a couple of heavy duty flash lights. Manufactures like DeWalt have rechargable battery powered worklights, just charge up 3-4 of their batteries before each trip. Solar patio lights are also a good alternative, for general lighting. I wonder if DeWalt sells some type of single outlet AC inverters that use their batteries, I could eliminate an electrical system completely.

Outside stuff:
Nothing protruding that will take out your shins, eyes, head, etc. Includes things like sharp edges on wheel wells, galley hatch supports that are not in the way, tail lights, folding windows.
I want an event tent (with sides) that doesnt break my above rule. Mostly for the mosquitos, and the wind, which is a problem around here, but also for the rain & sun, and privacy, changing clothes inside a the tear just does not sound fun.
I do want doors on both sides. You never know which side will have the best view.

Inside stuff:
KISS again, Just a shelf, with something like a cargo net for now.
Make sure nothing protrudes.

Finish:
Rhino Liner or something like it, I will probably have it proffesionally done. If you search the forum you will find out about some of the probelms, such as edges have to be taped, and surface has to be smooth and preped. Weight can be an issue, I have seen posts that say as light as 60 lbs, as heavy as 150. One possible problem is seperation at the edges, if that happens I will install a aluminium edge. I will also apply a similar finish to bottom, probably do it myself job because no one can see it.

AC unit:
I really cant handle any kind of heat. I think summers are too hot hear in ND. I think I will use the smallest window unit I can find, they are cheap, and dont seem to be any bigger then any specialized units I have seen. I will mount it on the tong, build a removable cover to protect it when towing. In will probably have to shock mount it, not sure how durable it will b bouncing down the road. But they are cheap, I guess I will find out.

Heat:
Of course it can be cold here in ND, A little heat can double your camping season. I'll Just find a way to mount a small propane tent heater, they are very safe, they go out if oxygen gets to low. And they are cheap.

Trailer jacks:
Besides something on the tounge, is it necassary to have more then one in back? Leveling might be an issue, but I am not to worried about the tiolet spilling because it is not flat. I guess making eggs in the morning could be an issue.
Last edited by SomewhereInND on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
SomewhereInND
Teardrop Builder

Re: Somewhere In ND Build Journal. (Ok prebuild)

Postby danlott » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 am

SomewhereInND wrote:I will be starting it in the spring.
Here are my plans, and I want advice if you think I am off base.
Instead of making a new entry each time I will just re edit this first entry.

I would only edit the title of the first post to indicate that you have updated information in the thread. I think you should post a new entry in your build thread each time you add updated information. This would make more sense to follow along as your build progresses. It would be hard to follow along as you ask for advice or comment back to a question asked by another member.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Re: Somewhere In ND Build Journal. (Ok prebuild)

Postby kludge » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:27 am

SomewhereInND wrote:I think I like the trailer from TSC over Harbor Freight, for 3 reasons:
1. It doesnt have extra stuff on it like folding trailer components, casters for when trailer is folded, etc. They are just going to be cut off anyway.
2. There is a TSC in my home town.
3. I havent actually seen a HF trailer, just images, but it looks like the TSC trailer has beefer steel. HF is usually on sale for less, but cheaper isnt better.

Do you mean this one?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailers-t ... wr-1000215

Before I go on, let me say that I don't have any actual experience building a tear, nor do I own either trailer, these are just my own observations after seeing both in-person. I am an engineer, though, and I like my opinions better that anyone elses. :)

I have both HF and TSC nearby so I went and looked...

(BTW the HF trailers are on sale right now until 2/2/10)

Comparing the 1500# TSC to the 1720# HF (non-folding BTW, and same price as the TSC right now) I would say that the HF is the more sturdy trailer.

Comparing the 1500# TSC, to the 1195# HF, after making the unit non-folding, I would say the HF is stronger, especially if you took it to a welder and had him weld the trailer together.

HF is C-channel steel and the TSC is ~2" angle.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=94564

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=90154

The differences between the two HF trailers seem to be limited to:
Folding v. non-folding
Tire size/rating
Stronger C-channel transverse beams on the 1720#
but otherwise appeared to be identical.

Also the TSC angle is "upside down" (i.e. the floor would have to fit inside the frame rails instead of riding on top). I don't think this makes a huge difference, but you have to plan for this when designing the floor-wall interface, and it might collect water.

The wiring on the TSC would have to be moved if you ever want to get at it again without taking the tear off the trailer. Even if you don't care, I would move it anyway, otherwise there will be a gap between the floor and the trailer caused by the wiring being in the way.

The tongue on the HF seems to have more potential... The TSC tongue would need "some work" before I felt comfortable with it.

That said, the HF tongue would probably need "some work" too, but has more potential, IMO. (i.e. adding a tongue box or platform would be a no-brainer on the HF trailer.)

Being a Jeep owner, the TSC trailer appears to have a 5 on 4.5" hub pattern (don't quote me on that) and might be easy to use my "temporary spare" Jeep cherokee 15" wheels in place of the stock wheels for more ground clearance. (I also kept my stock leaf springs when I lifted the Jeep, so that could get interesting.)

The TSC does not have spring shackles, I didn't notice what the HF had, but I probably would have noticed if it didn't have spring shackles.

Once the walls are on, I don't think one would notice the difference on the more flimsy (2" angle vs. c-channel) TSC trailer, which brings me to my last observation...

The TSC trailer "appeared" to weigh less, if that matters.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals