CT -multi use, camp, m-bike & bld material, Ap 10 update

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

CT -multi use, camp, m-bike & bld material, Ap 10 update

Postby BC Dave » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:25 am

I purchased a 6X10 Cargo Trailer (CT) last Nov 08 and have s-l-o-w-l-y been working on making it as usefull as possible. The idea is to make a multi use modular design, that can be used for camping, motor bike hauling & material hauling (one of my other hobbies is restoring a 100 yr old house).

Some of the objectives are to cover the inside in durable inexpensive materials that can all be easily removed (modular) and replaced inexpensivly. Also the interior could be easily cleaned and had the added benifit is to have 4 season use ...

After designing and redesigning and working on the CT, I discovered this forum in Sept 09. I wish I had discovered it earlier, before starting the design and construction. I would have and lots of questions answered sooner. Most of the design thinking work is completed, its just completeing the construction now. The one thing that I'm rethinking is how to make the galley around the side door area ... I have some ideas I'll post a little later ...

I appreciate and love the wood work I've seen on the TDs and hopefully one day I'll build a tear, but the decision to buy a CT was multifacited and seems to fit my needs at the moment. I do enjoy being able to stand in the in the trailer, that was one of the criterion to buy a CT, along with being able to carry larger stuff inside (motorcycle; building materials). I can now see how I could have built a tear to carry moter bikes ... someone whos up to the challenge will have to show me how it truned out once they embark on that design...

So Im posting now for your comments, information, pleasure and questions; hopefully you can all learn a little as i have learnt / been inspiried from you and this great resource. I have tweeked the design from some of your ideas.

I'm sorry it isnt as elegant as a TD; but it serves a similar purpose. I originally started posting in the CT section and now that I'v figuerd out how to post pics I can document my progress (and mistakes) here. Please feel free to comment speciaclly if you see a better way to construct things. I'll start cutting and posting from the original posting in the CT section.

Cheers BC Dave

Mar 10 - Fire place Pic Update
Last edited by BC Dave on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:26 am

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:18 pm Post subject: CT 6X10 conversion in process ... a newbie ... with some exp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all;

from the now wet left coast N of 49th ....

CT 6X10 conversion in process ... a newbie ... with some experiances. Purchased an interstate 6" overheight with a 4" drop axel; which gives me 6'-1" interior height ; I'm 6' ... I do have to watch the doors when exiting; I'v seen stars a couple of times but one learns quick with that reminder ...

I do love the teardrop design profiles; there great and well designed; BUT size, time and usefullness was a constraint with the tears at the time of purchase last Nov 08 ... over the last winter I started looking at priorities of how I wanted to use & design the trailer.

Some of the criteria was to be able to haul 2 or 3 motorcycles; ease of loadability; running water; shower; cooking and camping facilities ... and finished on the inside would look like a woody!

to date; I gutted the existing interior; installed 2 windows; insulated; installed new walls; rails; sink; removable front "kitchen" counter bar arrangement; built moduar storage boxes; 2 -26X 6'-2" removable beds; 12V fuse box; wiring; 2 computer? 12 V vent fans; 4 halogen 10w lights (Ikea); 12V 3 cig style plugs .... (Iv already ID-ed 2 electrical things I sould have done; both of which I thought of doing but forgot or cut corners at the time! )

....in the process of installing shelves over ft kit counter; 4 side shelves ... planning 15A 110 shore on left side of trailer

... and then discovered this great forum! and all the answers I had been looking for are right here; I had a good laugh and felt I was among friends.

Thanks all for posting and I'll post some pics when I get a chance soon.

Been on 2 camping trips one beginning of sept 32 C (about 85F) and another -16 C (about -4F); and learnt some intresting things! Floor insulation is a must ....and aluminum & steel trailers conduct alot of heat out! lol It was soo cold the water system froze solid and i couldnt defrost it the next day ....

Cheers Dave
Last edited by BC Dave on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:32 am

... to update from the original Oct 09 post; its hard to believe, but progress has been made! Now completed ...

120 V installed and useful; to the right of the fire place (in 2nd pic); GFI receptacle installed and protecting all other circuits (thanks for that suggestion) and a 15 A marine breaker in waterproof box with cabtire wire (this pic), under a waterproof flip panel to protect against bumps... install shown in the next pic.

Propane fire place; works very well and is very nice! A Dickinson Newport marine fire place originally designed for sailboats. Heat output is 3000-7000 BTU; plenty of dry, safe, heat (maybe too much). Note the "chimney" exhaust is a small diameter hose inside the larger intake, that makes for sealed combustion vented to the exterior and a cooler chimney and more efficient heat exchange fire

3 shelves installed but not sealed yet ... here’s the first shelf installed in the upper front of the trailer; along with sink; stove; windows; 4' rails'; 21" bed shelf etc.

Floor insulation installed; helps to keep the heat in; nice!

Now working on finish trim over seams and a "crown moulding" to finish the transition between walls and roof.[/img]
Last edited by BC Dave on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:08 am

Looking good Dave! Keep up the good work and don't forget to post pictures!

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby BC Dave » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:49 pm

aggie79 wrote:Looking good Dave! Keep up the good work and don't forget to post pictures!

Tom

Thanks for the applause ... it only took me 3 months to post pics; and show some progress ...
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby jkidd6339 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Lookin good keep on posting the pictures. I am working on one of these myself.
jkidd6339
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Very nice propane stove! We need more information on this!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby BC Dave » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:45 pm

Miriam C. wrote::thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the applause ... its encouraging; sometimes I feel as though I'm getting obsessive and excentric with this... :lol:

Fire place:

Yes its great! I highly recommend it; (except for the price) its spendy. MSRP for the 9000 is $900; I'v seen them on sale for $600, I got mine on sale. Originally I settled on a small 12000 BTU Atwood everest series; but it seemed to be about the same price; used more propane & electricity, didn't look as nice and is more complicated. The Newport is easy to install, has no serviceing required and has minimal instalation space requirements. You do need to have some room around the pipe area but I have it mounted under a shelf and I can put my hand on the wood under the shelf and hold it there.

After much reserch and debate i feet that this was the safest and nicest heater I could find; its efficient; has great heat output and is a sealed combustion so no internal oxygen is used, nor is any combustable gas released inside, its intake & vent are on the outside, it can be used without using any electricity; currently I dont have the small fan connected and it only uses 1.? amps for quicker more efficient heating & circulation.

Features ... runs on canisters or regular propane; its efficient a 20 lb tank is good for 140 hrs of heating; I use a smaller 10 lb tank and it was 1/2 full when I connected it in Mid december and its still has propane in it; I'm useing it to heat the interior in the winter while I'm working on it.

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/products.html

On low it heats the interior in less than 1/2 an hour at 3000 BTU's on high at 7000 BTU's it takes 10 minutes from the freezing mark; without the fan being connected. Either way it needs to be turned off once the interior is warmed or it gets too hot; the trailer seems to stay warm with insulation.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby digimark » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:11 pm

That marine fireplace is awesome! So good looking, and a visible fire too.

Does the fireplace come with an outside face/cover to pretty-up the exhaust outlet, or do we need to come up with something? If I can afford it, I'd mount it streetside in my trailer and immediately route the ductwork outside, right above the heater. And does it need 120V AC or 12V DC? Thanks. -Gary
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 pm

:thumbsup: Nice to see your progress. I like the looks and sounds of the heater too! What/how did you insulate your floor?
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:29 am

digimark wrote:That marine fireplace is awesome! So good looking, and a visible fire too.

Does the fireplace come with an outside face/cover to pretty-up the exhaust outlet, or do we need to come up with something? If I can afford it, I'd mount it streetside in my trailer and immediately route the ductwork outside, right above the heater. And does it need 120V AC or 12V DC? Thanks. -Gary

"Ning" Gary

Fire place comes with an exterior double bell shaped chimney cap; (that’s somewhat largish but) needed to get proper ventilation and circulation of the hot & cool - vent / intake. The cap is weatherproof and good to hurricane forced winds. It's meant to be mounted on a ceiling but I've mounted it on the streetside of the trailer without major incident; although I did notice a small amount of water after a major downpour once; I did remove the outer bell and replaced it with a stainless steel screen (actually a round sink strainer) to keep out bugs etc; the exhaust vent gets very hot, you don’t want anyone touching it while its operating. The chimney does stick out a little and will draw some questions "like what IS that?"

Also included is the chimney pipe about 2.5 ft stainless and you can add and purchase another 2.5 ft. There some additional propane attachments needed; the hose, some fittings and a low pressure valve not included, nor a tank, or the other option is the canister attachment not included. it cost me another $50 for a 10' hose, fittings and low pressure valve.

The circulation fan does not need to be hooked up. Currently I'm operating it without it running or hooked up. Not a problem and the manufacture has said you don’t need it but helps to circulate the hot air over the outside of the heater on inside the trailer. It hooks up to 12V if needed and draws 1.8? amps on full.

Hope that answers your questions and yes you can see the fire through the window and I'll post a pic soon with the fire lit.

Hope that answers your questions. Cheers Dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:52 am

Gonefishin wrote::thumbsup: Nice to see your progress. I like the looks and sounds of the heater too! What/how did you insulate your floor?

Thanks and I’ve been following your build too! :thumbsup: Heater details above.

Floor; I just used the hard blue 1.5" (or was it pink styrene?) cut to fit between the metal supports; outside on the floor bottom.

Glue specifically made for gluing hard styrene insulation at Home D found in the caulking section in caulking canisters. One funny thing I found out, the glue is thick and gets thicker in cold weather; it will not come out below 50 F and while I was installing it it was at freezing. I had to keep the glue warm inside then run out and stick it on while it was still warm ... experience says, read the manufacturers instructions before using ... I read it but didn’t believe it ... sigh ..lol.

I thought of covering it with ply but it doesn’t seem necessary; although I have been on a long trip with it installed and it may need protection.

cheers dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby grizz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Nice, I love multi purpose equipment.

Makes a load of sense.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BC Dave » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:15 am

grizz wrote:Nice, I love multi purpose equipment.

Makes a load of sense.

great minds "tink" alike ...
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Fire place update ... here it is lit.

Postby BC Dave » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Miriam C. wrote:

Heres a pic of the fire place lit. I will also add some pics of the installed trim.

Final is to complete a side door galley idea;

.... some of the design considerations would be easy access to coleman stove, cooler, pots, pans, utencils & food; weather cover; fast and easy setup and teardown all within reach of the side door while standing outside ...

BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals