The New Benroy Modification with No Name in Canada

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The New Benroy Modification with No Name in Canada

Postby johnc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:49 am

So my first posting to a build journal from north of the border. Firstly, I want to thank Mike and all of the others for their useful information, tidbits, helpful trails. The Generic Plans and this site have proved invaluable in getting me off of the ground. I have spend the last 2-3 months planning and strategizing and come up with a plan which I'm sure will amend with contributing advice from here as well as building experience. I took a standard 4 x 8 chassis that is easily obtained here in Canada from Canadian Tire and am modifying a 5 x 8 box to it. I used the chassis for the past 2 years as a utility trailer. This trailer will be my test piece prior to moving on to my next build - I am hoping to identify what I truly want. For now, a hatch area with fridge and microwave with power for a coffee pot, etc. I am going to avoid 12 volt with this model for two basic reasons - all campgrounds I plan to hit have hookup and in the event of a failure I am WELL kitted out as a tent camper for 20 years. I also have to forego the roof vent to fit the darn thing in the garage with the limited door clearance. For now I have stripped the chassis, cleaned it up and lubricated where necessary and run a new ground wire. I am working on the floor structure which I will lay in the next week and since I will be camping in possibly -20'c will insulate that well. My wiring will also run through the floor to limit crossing through wall studs for lack of a better descriptive. I will attacha pic of the chassis either in this note or the next once I figure out the photo attachments part of things getting started. Keep your fingers crossed and I am thick skinned - be as critical as possible if you take interest in this build - I am hoping for the best thing for me that I can manage on a limited budget.
johnc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 am

Well John,

Glad all the information helped. Would like to see the progress on your build.

Camping in -20 degrees C, or -4 degrees F is definitely cold. Did you ever tent camp in weather that cold?

What's your plan for heat in the trailer when you are hooked up to 110? And when you are not?

You know you'll want to leave the window cracked open, even in that cold weather to avoid asphyxiation.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:14 am

Godd luck with your build. We look forward to the pics! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

The First Posted Photo Failure

Postby johnc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:16 am

Seems my first chassis photo is corrupted and too large. My new task is not to learn to build something but to work out an easy way of saving a low file size photo on the digital camera - I am technologically challenged. As for heat I picked up a portable 110v heater. I will be running that power through a thermostat - likely a cheap digital version. I would love to turn into a comfy 19'Celcius and then sleep around 17. I have done plenty of winter camping and even my fair share of sleeping in snow shelters - this will be luxury sleeping on a mattress off the ground with a book at my nose - I might even have a glass of merlot to boot! You are right about ventilation - I am installing windows in each door which are screened but also two external vents both at the feet and one high on a wall near the head of the bed. Plenty of cross circulation to avoid waking in a condensation filled space.
johnc
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals