Crazy Idea?

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Crazy Idea?

Postby rpm750 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:18 pm

I got this design in mind but my concern is Weight. Any suggestions for saving weight thru design or materials please leave a comment. I'm shooting for around a static weight of 600lbs. Crazy?

Well here it is and yes I'll pull it with a VW Bug.

Or

I like the Poptop but for now I'm thinkin bout keeping it simple. We'll see this might happen.

Basic dimensions are, 64"w, 102" or so Long, height yet to be determined. Wanting to use a Queen air mattress to sleep on. Foam mattress wouldn't work, would like to use inside for more than just sleeping.

It has a Bus shape that is cut down below the belt in the middle. I'm considering F/G over foam. MDF around the doors for strength and attachment. Also MDF for the wall between Cabin and Galley. I spent most of the day Sunday looking at F/G techniques which will be easiest for me and cheaper to do. If I do the F/G over foam I'll use 3 layers of glass, 10oz, 10oz ans 4oz fabric. On the inside I'll just place a heavy layer of F/G mat. Mat is pulled apart glass strands. The inside will have panels that will cover the glass. I need strength in the sides but keep it lite. I'll need to go to my friends house and make some profiles of the Bus so I can cut out the Foam in the shape that I want. I'll make two MDF profile gigs that I'll stand the foam in to cut with a hot knife wire. I'll have to make one of those also. Glue all the foam together being careful to not miss align the profiles, then cover with glass. Sounds simple I just hope that it is lite. I think I'll make different sections and bolt them together. Sides, Corners, Front and roof.

Yeah it not a Teardrop ans it's different but that's a glimpse of my undertaking, I'm hoping for a cool head turner that will draw a crowd at shows.
Last edited by rpm750 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpm750 aka"Average Bob"

1964 Type 1 sunroof
1966 Type 1 "CaLook" O'Bugga
1968 Type 1 Cut up

Soon to be Compact Travel Trailer Owner!
rpm750
Teardrop Builder

Postby synaps3 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:31 pm

Looks cool to me. How are you going to get the proper shape? A mold?
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby Ageless » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 pm

If you hinged the top from the rear and moved the door a touch aft; you could have the galley inside.

The side profile could be done by laminating 1/2" foam over 1" foam then sanding the radius.

Make the side panels; rear and front panel separate; then assemble and fair in the corner radius.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Not so crazy...

God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 am

Ageless wrote:If you hinged the top from the rear and moved the door a touch aft; you could have the galley inside.

The side profile could be done by laminating 1/2" foam over 1" foam then sanding the radius.

Make the side panels; rear and front panel separate; then assemble and fair in the corner radius.

What do you suggest as an adhesive????

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Cool idea ... chopping up a van would be much quicker, although you'd never get it down to 600 lbs.

Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Re: Crazy Idea?

Postby wlivesey » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:39 pm

rpm750 wrote:... MDF around the doors for strength and attachment. Also MDF for the wall between Cabin and Galley...

Nice.. very nice... I really like the look of it. Just one suggestion though, you may not want to use MDF in the trailer. It doesn't handle the humidity very well. Just use good old fashion, high quality, plywood and you'll be in good shape.

Again, really nice looking. I think the pop top adds cool retro look.

:thumbsup:
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Postby mk10108 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:13 pm

DO IT :thumbsup:
mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby bve » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Very cool, you should peruse Gaston's gallery to see his PT Snuiser - although not lightweight the way he built the front bulkhead and sides as separate components seem's relevant.

I look forward to seeing you build it.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Re: Crazy Idea?

Postby rpm750 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:35 pm

wlivesey wrote:
rpm750 wrote:... MDF around the doors for strength and attachment. Also MDF for the wall between Cabin and Galley...

Nice.. very nice... I really like the look of it. Just one suggestion though, you may not want to use MDF in the trailer. It doesn't handle the humidity very well. Just use good old fashion, high quality, plywood and you'll be in good shape.

Again, really nice looking. I think the pop top adds cool retro look.

Will do never thought about that one. This trailer will be outside under a tarp most of the time so I'll take that and use it.

I got an idea today for a hiding tongue, remove pins and it slides into the trailer. A Real shin saver!

What type axle should I run, I'm thinking Rubber Torsion Axle.
rpm750 aka"Average Bob"

1964 Type 1 sunroof
1968 Type 1 Cut up

rpm750
Teardrop Builder

Postby rpm750 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:35 pm

The rubber torsion axle will give me a lower ride height and that's what I want.
rpm750 aka"Average Bob"

1964 Type 1 sunroof
1968 Type 1 Cut up

rpm750
Teardrop Builder

Postby starleen2 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Well – I hate to be the bearer of bad news – But I don’t think 600 lbs is reasonable for the size trailer your going for. I am assuming the scale is roughly the size of a VW (heigth and length)yada, yada, yada, about exotic stuff – yeah I know – not one teardrop has been made of it yet. (insert possible – you’re wrong statement = search internet yields result) I’d like to see it done. In reality what you have drawn will be heavier than 600 lbs. A simple frame and axel combo with 13 inch tires and the wheel like shown will take about 150 lbs to construct. Now factor in the flooring – assuming that you’ll be using aluminum or carbon fiber to support your weight. A 4X8 structure is gonna weigh about 40 lbs (or more) – so now your at 190 lbs before you even start on the wall or roof needless to say anything else – not to factor in the top lifting portion. Everything weights something and little bit does add up. What I am saying is that if you have unlimited $$$ and can do all the molding and fiberglass work, and have extensive knowledge of composite construction, I say go for it – but I’m willing to wager that 600 lbs ain’t gonna cut it!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby rpm750 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm

starleen2 - Love your Lady bug that is nice.

This thing I'm building is going to be small. The top will be held up with either fiber rods or aluminum poles. Depending on it's weight. It's really not that complicated, I'm not building the really nice one's you guys have built. Very nice wood finishing and cabinets. I'm all for the function and fit, don't get me wrong but for this one I'm after lite, compact and use ever small space to fit gear in. Once I get some drawings going I'll post those up.

If this guy turns out to be around 800lbs that is still with in the specs for the T/V. I think the Bug can handle around 1700lbs, that's stock. My issue with the weight is that my car is lowered and the way we achieve this is by turning the torsion bars in the rear housing. By doing this you remove a lot of the pre-sprung bump from the rear travel. If I come up with more weight in my build then I'll need to add coil over shocks to the car. No big deal but I'd like to keep from doing that. Just a preference. I've added disk brakes and he stops on a dime. Matter of fact today a young lady didn't see this bright orange car beside her and she ran me into the median, never had a clue of what she had done. Disk brakes saved O'Bugga again, I've got to fix that damn horn!

Thanks so much for your input. More eyes from different angles is a good thing and yes the voice of experience. Makes ya go, :thinking:
Last edited by rpm750 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpm750 aka"Average Bob"

1964 Type 1 sunroof
1968 Type 1 Cut up

rpm750
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ageless » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:29 pm

If you make the front and rear angle the same, you can make up one lay-up mandrel cheaply for the sides. And (1) mandrell for both front and rear.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:17 pm

rpm750 wrote: and she ran me into the media

Please tell me that you hit Barbara Walters or Geraldo......sorry, it was just there...Doug :oops:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Build Journals