The Urabus Scuttlebutt from PA *Update 10/11/2011 PAGE 23*

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Urabus Scuttlebutt from PA *Update 10/11/2011 PAGE 23*

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 pm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The 2010 Scuttlebutt - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MILESTONES, UPDATES, & MAINTENANCE:
02/01/2010: Started preliminary design using AutoCAD
02/23/2010: Finalized the profile and plans
03/04/2010: Frame assembly begins!
03/11/2010: Sawdust hits the floor
04/02/2010: Major assembly begins - sides, spars, bulkhead
04/10/2010: Major assembly finished,including hatch
04/11/2010: And then there was paint!
04/12/2010: Scuttlebutt goes for a test drive (minus doors and roof)
04/16/2010: Screen roof installed
04/18/2010: Vinyl roof installed
04/22/2010: Doors installed
04/24/2010: Curtains from Mom!
05/09/2010: Tongue box/12VDC electric finished
05/13/2010: DEPART on MAIDEN VOYAGE to TEARSTOCK!!
05/24/2010: Installed gas struts for galley hatch
05/28/2010: Install "bread shelf"
10/12/2010: Removable insulated ceiling panels finished
10/26/2010: Made removable oak trim ring clamp to seal the vinyl top around the fan
11/21/2010: Wired 110VAC outlets - 2 interior, 1 galley
12/25/2010: Got a Spa Sensations 4" memory foam mattress
03/22/2011: Added a divider and shelf in the lower galley
04/03/2011: Cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings
04/12/2011: Built underfloor storage
06/06/2011: Replace screen roof
06/16/2011: Modified fan trim ring/rain cover
08/01/2011: New curtains and hatch graphics
08/13/2011: Modified tongue with an extension
10/18/2011: SOLD to make room to build The X-II

---------------------------

ORIGINAL THREAD....

---------------------------

February 3, 2010

First with the basics... (for anyone who didn't read my noob thread)

The Urabus Scuttlebutt, based loosely on horrible plans from ebay, will be constructed using 3/4" plywood for the floor & sides. I was considering doing insulated sidewalls to save weight, but it would have over-complicated my first build. Also, with it being a convertible, the insulation really wouldn't have done much.

As for electric, I don't really do many campground trips, so I'll be sticking with basic DC for now... a tow-n-charge system with a deep cycle battery. I'm thinking 2 interior lights, one galley light, and a couple 12V power/5V usb sockets. All auxiliary lights are to be low power LED's.

On to the initial shopping list...

Trailer hitch & Harness for the Suby
4x8 1720lb Trailer
Fan-tastic Vent 4000R w/ low profile
D-shape weatherstripping (40 feet)
Black Beauty Asphalt Fence Post Paint for underfloor protection
CPES to seal the plywood
S.S. Piano Hinges
Power Tender Plus 12 Volt 5 Amp Battery Charger
(2) 'factory-style doors'
LED Lighting with Remote Control
3/4" Oak Plywood for sides
Helmsman Spar Urethane Satin for interior
Rustoleum Oil Based Enamel for exterior
Kilz Premium Indoor/Outdoor Primer
Snaps/Snap Screw Studs
Marine Vinyl removable top
Insect mesh roof

The design:

There are a few hurdles that I will have to clear once construction begins. Fortunately, Kerry (aka ToyPusher) lives a mere 10 minutes from me! Also, we have a member on here that has already worked on this type of teardrop - thank you Barb (aka b.bodemer) for sending me pics of the one that you helped complete!
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 106 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Week 1:

HF Trailer Kit Assembly

I unpacked the boxes and laid out the trailer last night. I should finish the wrenching tonight, and have a picture of the fully assembled trailer tomorrow. Plywood deck will be added this weekend. I hadn't realized this earlier, but now that I see how the HF bolts together, I will have to drill out small recesses on the underside of the plywood where all the trailer bolt heads are.

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby godskid » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Looks good! Just one quick comment ..... that looks like a basement where you are assembling the trailer. Hope you know how to get it OUT of there! (I remember the kids story about Mike and his steam shovel, MaryAnne (?) )
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:01 pm

godskid wrote:Looks good! Just one quick comment ..... that looks like a basement where you are assembling the trailer. Hope you know how to get it OUT of there! (I remember the kids story about Mike and his steam shovel, MaryAnne (?) )

haha it is my basement... but its also my garage! The apartments where I live now, are all built into a hillside. If you go in the front door of my apartment, you walk straight in. From my kitchen, you go down the stairs to the basement/garage, and the garage door exits the rear of the building. What you see in the picture is actually only half of my basement/garage! And the apartment management advertises this particular garage as a one-car garage, because it only has a single garage door.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Best of luck Zack. I am very interested in following your build. I have looked at the conv teardrop plans on Ebay, but could not decide if this would work for me. Actually all of my camping will be during warm weather, so it may be just what I need too. Please post lots of pictures and prices too. thanks. Steve :thumbsup:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby High Desert » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Great to see you getting started Zack. Look forward to seeng your progress. Looks like your new place has some nice space to work in too :thumbsup:

And keep Kerry busy, I think he's Jonseing to build another anyway lol.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby fishfinder » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Wonder if you are off setting the axle a little to the rear? Most plans call for that move. Maybe yours doesn't.

Mike
fishfinder
Teardrop Master

Postby paperdoor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm

godskid wrote:Looks good! Just one quick comment ..... that looks like a basement where you are assembling the trailer. Hope you know how to get it OUT of there! (I remember the kids story about Mike and his steam shovel, MaryAnne (?) )

I remember a story from my father, when he was a kid, him and his best friend built an airplane in the basement. They had to cut the wings off to get it out. :shock:
paperdoor
Teardrop Builder

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks everyone!

Mike- I actually decided to keep the axle at the original location. I've extended my latest design about a foot forward, and my galley area isnt going to be anything fancy. Also, the sleeping area may not always be used as such... for some trips, I'll still be pitching a tent next to my friends, so the trailer will be loaded with gear. With all that said, I think my weight distribution should be fine.

and if in doubt, I'll just buy more beer and load it towards the front :D
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:52 am

I made some progress yesterday.... trailer is assembled!

In addition to that, I installed the hitch on my Suby, and ran the wires for that. I did have some grounding issues with the trailer lights, but got them mostly figured out. I am still without the amber front side marker lights, but since all the rear lights (running, brake, and turn) work properly, I'm sure its a simple grounding issue.

My dad should be here in about a half hour, and we're going to run out and get some wood and black asphalt fence post paint to get working on the floor.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Looks like you making good progress :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:54 pm

So far so good! My dad came over today and help drill some recess holes around the perimeter of the floor board to allow the plywood to set directly onto the trailer frame. When I first told him about building the teardrop he thought I was crazy, but now he's taken an interest in it!

Then my friend came over and help lay on the Black Beauty Aphalt Fence Post Paint from Tractor Supply Co. Photo credits go to my dad. (Yeah, its another crappy cell phone pic)

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 pm

The girlfriend wanted curtains hung in our new apartment today, so that ate up some of the afternoon. After I got that taken care of, my Dad showed up to help out again. We mounted the trailer deck on the frame today...

Painted the rear of the trailer because it will be exposed to view when the galley hatch is open. Also, put a bead of black silicone caulking around the inside edge of the frame to help keep water from getting up and in...

If you've build on a HF trailer frame, you already know that the bolt heads get in the way of the deck sitting flush on the frame rails.... see the picture above. Now heres a picture of recess holes in the underside of the deck to allow it to sit flat.

And here's my Dad helping out!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:11 pm

steve smoot wrote:Best of luck Zack. I am very interested in following your build. I have looked at the conv teardrop plans on Ebay, but could not decide if this would work for me. Actually all of my camping will be during warm weather, so it may be just what I need too. Please post lots of pictures and prices too. thanks. Steve :thumbsup:

Hey Steve! Not sure how I missed your post on here, but I'll definitely keep things as up to date as possible... I'm looking for a completion date around the first weekend in May, in order to make Tearstock! Don't waste your money on the convertible plans from ebay... they were a little disappointing. I'll be more than happy to share my work every step of the way!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby BigAl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi Zach, With the new color scheme you need to change the name to McUrabus! ;)

The build is looking really good.

Is it a coincidence that URABUS is SUBARU backwards?
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals