The Urabus Scuttlebutt from PA *Update 10/11/2011 PAGE 23*

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Papi » Tue May 10, 2011 10:31 am

goldcoop wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Can't get the trailer inspected until Tuesday. The first place I was going to go wanted to charge $200. They FAIL. Found another place that will do it for $32.

Zack-

You are just getting the trailer frame inspected right?

Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

Just get the trailer frame registered as a utility trailer AND then build on it....

...And for God's sake don't tell 'em your building a Teardrop on that frame!!!

TRUST me it's a real PITA to do anything else in PA.

Do a search here about registering in PA.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Coop

Wow! All we have to do here is print out a form, sign it, and get a cop to sign it. The DMV takes it no questions. A title is $18, and a tag is $25 initially and just a couple bucks a year after that. No fee for the inspection. :shock:
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 am

Papi wrote:Wow! All we have to do here is print out a form, sign it, and get a cop to sign it. The DMV takes it no questions. A title is $18, and a tag is $25 initially and just a couple bucks a year after that. No fee for the inspection. :shock:

Nice! Pennsylvania definitely doesnt make it easy, so when I build the next one, I'm going to get it registered in Maine as a non-resident.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:33 am

A couple weeks ago Fred had so kindly ripped a nice sized hole in the front of my screen roof. So I decided to replace it before camping season (and bug season) kicks into high gear.

The original screen was a nylon mesh that I got at a fabric store. It was cheap ($1.27/yd), very translucent, allowed great air circulation, but it was not the most durable material when encountered by a dogs paws.

So I decided to use fiberglass screen in the front, and the nylon mesh on top.

Removing the white trim and old screen....

Getting the new screens stretched in place...

And the transition from fiberglass screen to nylon mesh...

I was in a hurry to go get some lunch with a friend at Hooters, so I forgot to take a finished picture with the white trim back in place.... but the whole process only took about 4 hours. Hopefully the fiberglass screen in the front will prove to be a little more durable!

Coming soon... NEW CURTAINS :twisted:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:06 pm

parnold wrote:The only problem I see it the possibility of creating a dam. See attached. What about a little vinyl "bonnet" to cover the vent, attached to the outside of the removable trim ring? Also see attached..

So the "damn" effect did become a slight issue. Water would pool up in there and slowly wick inside the teardrop, so I made a little cover a few months ago that snapped in place like Paul had drawn. That worked great for driving in rain, but when parked at a campsite it prevented the fan cover from being opened as much as I would like to be able to.

The other night I was bored and started drafting up some ideas and finally it hit me: add plywood sides to the trim ring, with a couple "spars" going between the sides. The sides will be contoured similar to the teardrops profile, and the assembly will be covered with vinyl, snapped into place on the front and sides just like the rest of the teardrop. The rear of the assembly will be left open to allow for airflow, but extend past the trim ring to prevent water intrusion.

Here's a sketch...

And the side profiles being traced from computer print-outs....

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Its getting there... I should be able to get it finished this weekend. All it needs is paint, stain, snaps, and vinyl!

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Aint she lookin pretty?

Should be finishing it up tomorrow with snaps and vinyl!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Looks Great, and a neat idea so you can have the vent open when its raining!
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:22 am

hey zach, is that screen replacement before or after heavenly acreas? i don't think fred likes to stay home alone. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks Derek... I'm actually looking forward to getting rained on a little bit just so I can test it! :?

Louella - unfortunately that screen was just replaced the weekend before the Shenandoah trip, so it now needs redone again. Live and learn. Its not expensive at all to replace, it just takes a few hours. The materials only cost about $10.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:59 pm

The fan cover is done! It should shield the fan from even the heaviest of downpours, and its still easily removable (4 wing-nuts/ 30 seconds) so that the vinyl roof can be taken off for those warm summer nights under the stars!

Also while I was working on the trailer tonight, I was looking at my doors trying to figure out why I get a little bit of water inside the bottom of the door when driving in HEAVY rains.

After closer inspection, it looks like the weatherstrip on the very bottom of the door doesnt match with the weatherstrip on the frame....

So I added another piece of weatherstrip that actually aligns with the door seal. Now the door closes REALLY solid! Hope thats all it takes!

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:55 am

Did this a couple weeks ago before we left for our weekend boondocking trip to Northern PA.

My girlfriend's son sleeps up on the shelf above our feet, and the way we prop him up here, he loves it! But the one morning, he had woken up and decided he wanted down, and ended up rolling on top of us.

He didn't get hurt, but I think he was a little stunned :lol:

So I decided that he needed something where we didn't have to worry about him falling and hurting himself. I cut up some pieces of oak trim to make brackets, and 2 oak boards to make removable "bunk bed" rails. Then I put a piece of foam pipe insulation on the top board so he doesn't knock his head on it. The brackets will get painted blue to match the exterior, and the rails will get stained and sealed to match the rest of the oak.

We do lose some storage area for bags up on the shelf, but its better than not being able to go camping with them :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:24 am

Nice solution Zach!

Your giving that child some great experiences.

:applause:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Thats pretty cool. I did not realize you hade a removeable "skin" for the roof.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am

parnold wrote:Nice solution Zach!

Your giving that child some great experiences.

:applause:

Thanks Paul... gotta do what I can. Turns out I'm not just dating the girl - its a package deal, and I have to keep them both happy! :lol:

StandUpGuy wrote:Thats pretty cool. I did not realize you hade a removeable "skin" for the roof.

Thanks! Its a really nice feature in the summer!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:14 am

Woohoo! Finally some new curtains!

My ex had picked out the doggy-print fabric for the original set of curtains. They were cute. But she's been gone for a while, and the interior has been well overdue for a change.

A friend of mine is going to make a quilt to match the curtains. I'm hoping to meet up with her this week sometime to give her the fabric.

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals