Cloud 9 Diner or Rob & Linda's Lil' Haven? Maiden Voyage

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Table??

Postby justafew » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for posting so many pictures...it really helps! I am especially interested in examples of tables in the cabins and how folks are installing them so thanks for your descriptions!

Alice
Federal Way WA
justafew
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:33 pm

How wide is that?

Nice looking build. Very much like the Lil Diner! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rwelp » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:59 pm

mikeschn wrote:How wide is that?

Mike...

I don't know if you remember Mike but this is the build of the renderings you sent me off of the drawings that I posted under the forum on designs.

The rendering you sent me to my email was titled Benroy Diner. My trailer is 5' wide x 10' long by 4' tall. So far I am very happy with how it is turning out. The Lil Diner front profile and interior with the Benroy rear profile is very pleasing to me and I would like to thank you again for your help, especially the renderings of my drawing in 3d which helped me to visualize the finished product. I would post a pic of the rendering you sent me, but I am in Florida on vacation and do not have access to my computer and files at the moment. I am hoping to have tear completed by the end of May. I will post more pics on Monday. :) ;)

t
Rob Welp
Build Pics

rwelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:14 pm

Yes Rob,

I remember our PM's and email. I just didn't remember how wide it was.

I'm toying with the idea of a 6' wide...

Mike...

rwelp wrote:
mikeschn wrote:How wide is that?

Mike...

I don't know if you remember Mike but this is the build of the renderings you sent me off of the drawings that I posted under the forum on designs.

The rendering you sent me to my email was titled Benroy Diner. My trailer is 5' wide x 10' long by 4' tall. So far I am very happy with how it is turning out. The Lil Diner front profile and interior with the Benroy rear profile is very pleasing to me and I would like to thank you again for your help, especially the renderings of my drawing in 3d which helped me to visualize the finished product. I would post a pic of the rendering you sent me, but I am in Florida on vacation and do not have access to my computer and files at the moment. I am hoping to have tear completed by the end of May. I will post more pics on Monday. :) ;)

t
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rwelp » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:04 pm

Here is the 3d rendering Mike sent me of the tear I am building.
Rob Welp
Build Pics

rwelp
Teardrop Advisor

Clearance

Postby justafew » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks for posting the rendering. What is the clearance from the bottom of the foot-well to the ground? That is one area I am a little worried about, not so much for the road of course but for our astronomy star parties we sometimes have to pull over rough ground and low berms.

Thanks!
Alice
justafew
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rwelp » Sun May 09, 2010 12:12 am

Finally got around to getting pics of my finished bench seating in my tear. Lids are hinged with piano hinges and have 5 3/4" of storage beneath.

I also put on the first layer of roof skin. I plan on putting on a second layer of ply along with epoxy and possibly fiberglass cloth, prior to painting with marine polyurethane paint.

Hurricane hinge, windows, interior lights, aluminum trim, door latch and handle, and door and galley seals all came in from Lil Bear. And custom made 1 1/8" offset piano hinge for my door, license plate frame, and exterior light came from Vintek RV Vintage trailer supplies.

I am in the process of making the galley hatch and will post pics when done. Things are coming along nicely, I hope to be finished or at least campable by Memorial Day. :D
Rob Welp
Build Pics

rwelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rwelp » Tue May 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Well, here she is with 2 coats of epoxy, 2 coats of bonding primer, and 1 coat of paint(2 more coats to follow). I decided not to use marine paint because of the high gloss. I chose a satin exterior paint from Sherwin Williams instead. I am happy with how it looks so far. I am not going to make my deadline of this Memorial Day weekend(surprise, surprise), but it will be done(campable) within a week. 8) :thumbsup:

The hatch:
The door:
Rob Welp
Build Pics

rwelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby grizz » Wed May 26, 2010 2:44 am

Looking good there.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bve » Thu May 27, 2010 8:12 am

Nice work Rob, it's got to be a good feeling to be getting the exterior covered up.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby rwelp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:55 am

Almost done now. Still need to get the fenders on and finish the wiring for the trailer lights(marker and turn signals). The interior electric, both 110 and 12 volt is done. Fantastic fan is in and working. Still a lot of little things to do, I have to finish the table and build the tongue box, but it is almost campable.:applause: ;)

Rob Welp
Build Pics

rwelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rwelp » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:18 am

Got the fenders on and added some wheel covers. But I discovered that the axle was not built to any standard. It only has a 5/8" spindle and homemade spindle lock nut. There was some slop in the wheel bearings because of this and I could not tighten the nut any further to eliminate it. I found a local trailer dealer who is having a custom axle made for me for $160. It will be made to fit my trailer, so I will be able to put it on without any problems. I will have it by 6/25/10. In the mean time I will finish installing the hatch trim and latches, and build the tongue box. I also picked up some aluminum wheels that I will put on when the new axle comes in.

Rob Welp
Build Pics

rwelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Rob,
Well done. That is one fine looking teardrop. You ought to be very proud of your build.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rwelp » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Still unsure of the final name, but it's campable. Maiden voyage will be this weekend(4th of July) It's been 5 months since the start of the actual build. The new axle is on, along with different wheels and tires. The toungue box still has to be built, but that will be down the road a little yet. 8) :)
Rob Welp
Build Pics

rwelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bve » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Rob your Diner looks fantastic, great build, enjoy your maiden run.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals