Offroad Tear Beginnings With Lots of Pics Update 04/11

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Offroad Tear Beginnings With Lots of Pics Update 04/11

Postby rockinobsidian » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:27 pm

I am beginning to build my offroad teardrop for an upcoming 3 month roadtrip. My base is a 1994 ex-USMC M116A3 which is the flat bed version of the M101A3. It took an insane 4 hrs at the DMV to get it registered but I now have my perm trailer plates and am legal. I have taken off the huge 37X12.5 humvee wheels and tires and replaced them with 255/75r17 mudders and 17" steel wheels to match my jeep. The humvee combo weighed 146 pounds per tire and wheel meaning my 800 pound trailer had 300 pounds of rolling weight. The new combo weighs 70 pounds each so the empty weight is now 650 pounds not bad for a trailer with 4" C channel framing, surge brakes, parking brakes, and 1 ton capacity off road. I will post the pics of it with the new wheels soon.
Last edited by rockinobsidian on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.
rockinobsidian
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 01Sport » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Looks good. I love your WJ, it looks really nice with those wheels. Jeep did well when they started making those. :applause:
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Fenders Cut and new Wheels

Postby rockinobsidian » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks! I love my WJ too, bought it summer of '08 when gas was fast approaching $5 a gal and nobody wanted a V8 4x4 but me so it was way under KBB :)
New Wheels and Tires
Heres the trailer in its new home for the build, my brother-inlaws car lift on the side of his house. The bed does not have much room between the wells 45" but thats going to change. Image
Here's the first fender cut I want to have 60.5" between them when I'm done. I used a 4.5" grinder and cut off wheels not the best tool for the job.
The old wheels had 8.5" of backspacing and still cleared the fenders by 5" the new wheels have 4.5" of backspacing.
Roughing out the fender
Cut the 2nd fender with Dewalt's cordless metal shearing now thats the tool for the job!
Saw some A/C 7 ply 3/4" exterior plywood at home depot it was a special buy for $23 a sheet so I grabbed 5 with my little 1967 M762 (flatbed version of the M416 jeep trailer)
Not yet welded on and the holes aren't filled but man is that a much for useful bed especially since I want a 5x8 TD :)
A good selection of tools is always handy
rockinobsidian
Teardrop Inspector

Fenders finished and Trailer Bed lined

Postby rockinobsidian » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 pm

I finished welding the fenders back on after cutting them down to increase the width to 60.5" instead of 45. Image
All the cutting sure did use up some cut off wheels
Lined the bed with Rustoleum Bed Liner $43/gal at wally world still have a little left over. I plan on making my grasshopper TD removable from trailer so I can still use it as a utility trailer.
Now to start making some saw dust :D
rockinobsidian
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bve » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:14 pm

I gotta agree the Jeep looks good with the (Rubi?) boots on it.

Are you trying to give half the forum cordless envy with this shot? (I was going to say tool envy but...)

Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:29 pm

bve wrote:I gotta agree the Jeep looks good with the (Rubi?) boots on it.

Are you trying to give half the forum cordless envy with this shot? (I was going to say tool envy but...)

Looking forward to seeing the build progress.

Burke

:thinking: :roll: :lol:

You have a great start and we are looking forward to the finish!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Update 3/02

Postby rockinobsidian » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:12 pm

My Jeep has 2008 JK Wrangler Rubicon Wheels and Tires which work great, look good and didn't break the bank. Thanks for all the positive comments :)
This site has been a HUGE help in inspiring this build.
I have basically built my roof and floor I made them 5' wide which involved lap joining a 4x8 with a 1x8.
This required a little patience in figuring out the depth.
The plywood fits!
The top section of the roof before being stained.
The bottom of roof stained but there will be insulation and than 1/8 lauan on the inside
I stained the wood with behr premium weatherproofing wood stain we'll see how well it holds up it was opps paint at HD so it was only $5/gal
[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=61992
[/img]
Here's the floor joined and stained. Its 3/4 ACX with furring strips on the bottom to clear the ridges on the trailer bed.
rockinobsidian
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike_La » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Nice build. :applause: I'll be following this thread.

BTW, love the Jeep. :thumbsup:
Mike

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike_La
Silver Donating Member

Postby AussiePeej » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:46 am

Build it strong for the trail 8)
Seriously good start for the project and +1 for watching this one.
Oh, and as for the tools.. Dewalt.. not bad. Still prefer Makita :laughing1: Nice collection though..
She calls me "Geek / Dork / Power Nerd" but that's only my alterego

"You're only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off" - Charlie Croker
AussiePeej
Teardrop Inspector

Update 3/06

Postby rockinobsidian » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:56 pm

I've used both Makita and Dewalt 18v tools in the construction industry and prefer Dewalt because it's tools have more power and options for tools :R Does Makita make one of these Image
Makita does have dewalt beat when it comes to weight (if i just did drywall I would buy Makita in a heartbeat) but you can't go wrong with either company 8)
I started by framing the opening for the roof vent, I went with a Ventline vent with 12v fan and will probably mod it with a 3 way switch so I can have exhaust and intake and might add a rheostat to change fan speed.
Router with flush trim bit to cut the hole.
I decided to add a skylight I went HD and picked up an 18x24 piece of lexan and framed the opening. The opening was designed to be 3/8 short all around.
Flush trimmed again
I planned to rabbit out the top of the hole to give the lexan a place to sit and still be slightly above the roof so water wouldn't have a place to pool. This required taking the base plate off the router since I only need to remove an 1/16 of material.
Test piece to get the depth right...looks pretty good.
I'm insulating with 3/4" rigid foam and sealing with GE silicone II.
I cut the front out I designed it to be 52" tall overall and 59.5" wide.
Now I need to get some walls built and start framing the front and back :D
rockinobsidian
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:05 pm

Making good progress; looking good! A second on the DeWalt; youngest son is in construction and swears by it.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:11 pm

:thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby AussiePeej » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:23 am

A powered snot gun!?! I didn't know there was such a thing. I do of course have to ask WHY? lol. Yeah, in construction here too. Anyway, shutting up now and getting back to enjoying quietly your build. Thanks for all the great pics :thumbsup:
She calls me "Geek / Dork / Power Nerd" but that's only my alterego

"You're only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off" - Charlie Croker
AussiePeej
Teardrop Inspector

Update 3/10

Postby rockinobsidian » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:11 am

Tool talk is always welcome!:thumbsup: The snot gun makes resealing a rv roof a breeze and applies a really steady bead. Had to battle some rain this weekend which is never fun... used a 50000btu/hr heater to dry it out a bit. Image
I attached the sides and built out some boxes to add a little more storage space.
Making the front fit was a bit of a challenge with slightly bowed wood. I stained the interior and put in my two windows. I still need to insulate and add cabniets but its taking shape :D
rockinobsidian
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 am

One word . . . . . .

impressive
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals