12 ft Winter Warrior build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby bdosborn » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:21 pm

Gary,

Looks like you're right on track to finish it for winter....

:lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby KIDZAGN » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:48 pm

Gary

I'm a newby still attempting to get some plans together so we can begin our build. We came to Crawford and "victor Star" was kind enough to take us around the camp to see several different trailers. I saw yours and the cloth layup reminded me of some chuck boxes we built way back in Boy Scouts. Please allow me a couple "newby" questions, it appears you built the entire trailer from luan, and then coated it with epoxy, then latex,
them two heavy oil base top coat. What does the fabric actually do? On the edges of the fabric to you over lap them or butt the edges together?

Thanks

Mike
KIDZAGN
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Mike I had a problem on the first winter warrior with one piece of plywood that kept cracking. So I hope that the bed sheet will give a continuous skin that will solve that problem. I've used the method on boxes also with good luck.

The corners are over lapped but only about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

On the first trailer I used 3 coat of epozy under the same oil base paint and that worked except for that one piece of problem plywood.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:45 pm

I finished the cabinets on the schooner today so the inside is done except wiring the AC breaker box and a little bit of trim. Here's a few pics and more in our album.

Now to take her down to the grain elevator and see what she weighs

Gary
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Nathan N » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Gary,
Looks great. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the inside at Crawford. I thought the bed went the other way.

I'm sure we will come up with a mid-November camp out somewhere so I'll take a better gander.

Any guesses on the weight? I still need to get ours weighed.

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:42 am

Nathan
I'm still hoping for 1600 lbs the same as the last one but time will tell. I' hoping to get it weighed this week.
GAry
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Nathan N » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:03 am

I'll be watching for the weight. I like it a bunch, looks like simply useful. Not a bunch of weight in drawers, doors, etc. Gives you different options on what goes where. Simple to access stuff.

Got any ideas for the next one yet? :lol:

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Nathan N. Wrote:

I like it a bunch, looks like simply useful.

I'll echo that! ...Nice and neat; attractive, too.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Well darn I took the trailer down and weighed it today and it came in at 1900 lbs empty so it's gona be overweight with much of anything in there.
Wonder how much over weight a torsion axle can take?

GAry
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Nathan N » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:25 am

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Well darn I took the trailer down and weighed it today and it came in at 1900 lbs empty so it's gona be overweight with much of anything in there.
Wonder how much over weight a torsion axle can take?

GAry

It is larger than the old warrior. And your front box probably adds about 2 sheets of plywood worth of weight so that's probably at least a third of your weight gain.

I don't have an answer on your axle question though. I guess you could change it out for a higher capacity one.

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:58 am

That's what I'm probably going to do. The axle weight was 1820 lbs so I've got a little more leeway on the axle. Alot of the load will be in the tongue box so some of that will be on the tongue. I'll probably watch it close on the LCG trip than put a different axle under it next spring.

GAry
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Ouch...

That's way heavier than you wanted to be.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Yeah I know Mike.

the Winter Warrior was heavier than I thought it would be so I don't know how I thought this one would be different. I thought about it and I might not be as bad off as I first thought. the axle weight is 1830 lbs and at least 100 of that is wheels hubs and brakes which isn't on the axle so that gives me a 300 lbs leeway. I'll probably still look into a heavier axle next spring though.
Trudy and I both like the trailer too much to take anything out of it.

Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby starleen2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:10 am

RAYVILLIAN wrote:It's about time that you built that one. Just be sure to put a strong enough axle under it or build alot lighter than I did.

gary

Just inflate the tires with helium! :lol: :lol:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:10 pm

HMMMMMMMMMM? Let's think about that Starleen. If I filled the tires with helium they would try to push up against the axle which would make the axle flex that much more. Seems that would make the problem worse not better. Know if I could fill the frame with helium that might work. :thinking:

Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals