Vintage Tripper Tear Drop rebuild-Update 3-24-2011

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:36 pm

One thing to remember, you know where the problems are and like that first dent in the new car they GROW, in your mind.
The desk on which my computer sits originally belonged to the Santa-Fe railroad and I bought it and refinished it, 38 years ago. it still has the shoe print of the postman who stepped on it in front of our apartment. I left the burn marks on our kitchen floor from where the wood stove sat a hundred or so years ago.
You will be your own worst critic, don't sweat it.
Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Thu May 13, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby txturbo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:01 am

Its no big deal. I just have to decide how to fix it. All of this extra decision making and change of plans just drags it out longer. It throws all the schedules on my other projects off.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby txturbo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Worked on the tear drop most of the day today. Got the roof installed and cut out the door. Still need to cut out the window openings. Its starting to look like something again. Pics coming soon.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby txturbo » Thu May 13, 2010 8:41 am

Been working on the tear drop off and on for the past month. Spent most of Tues. on the galley area. Got the frame built for the hatch....just need to skin it. Also started pulling wires on the inside. I didn't have any luck finding an air mattress the right size for it, so I found a place on the internet that makes custom size mattresses for RVs. They are making a covered foam mattress in the exact size I need. It should arrive tomorrow.
Last edited by txturbo on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

finally back to it...

Postby txturbo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 am

well.....haven't had much time to work on this project much in the past 10 months. Only real progress since my last entry was to get the thermal/acoustic insulation sprayed on. But finally last weekend I got back to it. I installed the wiring and some foam insulation in the ceiling. Instead of reusing the original R-Panel shaped aluminum skin, I've decided to replace it with new smooth aluminum skin. The original stuff has so many holes and tears its going to take a lot of work before I can reuse it.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:51 am

Dan,

It's good to see you back on the build. I know I've stopped and started many times on mine. After 2-1/2 years, it is finally campable (not finished.)

You really have a very unique teardrop. I think the smooth skin will really highlight its profile.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby txturbo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks Tom.....more pics loaded today. The plan is to paint the skin to match the intended tow vehicle. Which is a light metallic blue and I would leave a stripe of shiny aluminum like the original had with the Tripper logo on the front.Now that I'm replacing the skin....the only original piece is the frame,windows and door frame. I should have just started from scratch. Now I'm thinking about spraying the inside walls with the thermal/acoustic insulation also. I have enough left over. It looks like a stucco finish on the outside right now. The inside would look like a textured drywall finish.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby txturbo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Ordered the new skin today. Should be able to pick it up next Tuesday and begin putting it on. Still need to order the top corner moulding and galley hatch hinge.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby txturbo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 am

Skin should be here today....already recieved the top corner moulding and the galley hatch hinge in the mail yesterday.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals