Vintage Tripper Tear Drop rebuild-Update 3-24-2011

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby txturbo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Started the tear down this morning. Was pleased to find the original hatch skin still in place under the newer piece of aluminum that was put on as a patch to cover the hatch opening. Nothing remained of the galley though. Took way longer than I planned to remove the original skin. Lots of stripped phillips head screws that had to be drilled out. I started t round 9am and got the last piece off around 3pm. The walls are 5/8" plywood. I assumed they were 3/4". Not much left of the original plywood. Maybe tomorrow I can get it stripped down to the frame.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:01 pm

It will be worth it!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby txturbo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:21 am

I hope so. Weather has been excellent for this so far. Sun is almost up, so its time to get back to it. :twisted:
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rigsby » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 am

Dont forget the pictures
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Postby txturbo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Took lots of pictures. Will post a link when I get time to upload them from the camera.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby txturbo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:10 am

Found out the frame isn't bent like previously thought. Looks like when the axle u-bolts broke it let the axle slide to one side and the rim rubbed a groove into the side of the frame angle iron. It rubbed through one leg completely. Just have to hold it straight and weld it up. Also noticed where the spindle is welded to the axle tube, there is a problem. This is one the same side as the frame problem. The axle tube is 1-3/4" in diameter but the area where the spindle and axle tube are welded together is only about 3/4" in diameter. Doesn't look beefy enough and I wouldn't trust it. Hubs are 6 lug with 15" tires and rims. One spring is broken. So, looks like I'll just buy a new axle kit with 5 lug hubs and 4-1/2" bolt circle.

txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Using Tinypic to post pictures

Postby Larry C » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Tinypic question: I tried it and does work well and it's quick! How long does the image stays at Tinypic?
Last edited by Larry C on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Ageless » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Yes, you can create an account at tinypic and keep photos there
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Tinypic

Postby txturbo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:13 am

Larry C wrote:Tinypic questions: I tried it and does work well and it's quick! What I don't fully understand is how long the image stays at Tinypic? I see you can join TP and then can upload multiple images at once, but does this give you an account like other image hosters with the ability to find your uploaded pics at TP? If I just use it to send pics to the forum and don't join TP, are the images lost after a certain time?
For my build journal use, is it better to upload resized images to my album so they won't be lost? In other words, when should I use Tinypic and when should I use my album?
As with everything in life, nothing is free, except all the great advise here!
What is Tinypic's "Gig"?

Here's a pic I uploaded to TP. The process is very quick.

[img][img]http://i39.tinypic.com/f9igcw.jpg[/img][/img]
Thats great....but why is this in MY build journal?
Last edited by txturbo on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby txturbo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:17 am

Bought the new axle, springs and hubs yesterday. Started making repairs on the original frame. Hoping to start painting it this afternoon. My goal is to get the frame all painted and the new axle and suspension installed this weekend, so I can start building.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Larry C » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 am

Sorry I hijacked your thread. However, it is actually part of this thread, it has to do with learning how to PROPERLY post pics to the forum.
Anyway.... I learned something, thanks, Miriam!
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:26 am

Mike,

I hope you don't mind me posting your image.

It will be a lot of work, but when you are done you will have a very unique teardrop that has really nice lines.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby txturbo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:10 am

Larry C wrote:Sorry I hijacked your thread. However, it is actually part of this thread, it has to do with learning how to PROPERLY post pics to the forum.
Anyway.... I learned something, thanks, Miriam!
Nope...not part of this thread. Needs to be in a picture posting thread. Has nothing to do with my build.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby txturbo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:11 am

aggie79 wrote:Mike,

I hope you don't mind me posting your image.

It will be a lot of work, but when you are done you will have a very unique teardrop that has really nice lines.
No problem...but my name is Dan :)
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby txturbo » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:15 am

Got the frame repaired, painted and got the new axle and springs hung the past couple of days. Just finished up the painting this morning. And of course it started raining. I'll post a pic as soon as it stops......if it stops. I was planning to go pick up the plywood today, but the rain has delayed those plans for now. Still need to get a couple of rims and figure out what kind of fenders I want to use. I like the look of those fiberglass ones like member BillandMarijo used, but haven't found a place to buy them yet.
txturbo
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals