Jakes 6X10 conversion (KISS)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Jakes 6X10 conversion (KISS)

Postby jake62 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:24 am

So I took some of the ideas here on the forum and rattled them around in my head and the following is a simple beginning to, what I am sure will be, an interesting build

I took a 6X10 cargo trailer with an added 6" so my full 6ft1in frame could stand in it.

I came up with plans for a bed first. The bed had to be convertible just in case I wanted to get it out of the way to use this to haul some "stuff".
I used 1/2" plywood as to keep it light.

It is 76" long so a queen size mattress will fit nicely. Since the inside of the trailer is 68" wide I made the bed this width. This will allow for some added space.
Piano hinges are used to keep it compact (sorry no CAD pics just the real thing)

Buying thr trailer

Side door included

Bed complete (Storage spaces are 24"X17" to allow plastic crate storage

To show the hinges and how it will be compact

Side supports (Oak freebie Home Depot

Right hand section folds out of the way for quick egress

Made sure the right hand hinge was directly in the middle of the supporting board. This takes the weight off the hinge.

Another hinge view

Flooring done (rubber diamond plate from Costco). All one piece so there is no seams.

Bed folded out of the way. Might have to re-think the "stored" support system. Trying to keep it simple.

This is it so far.
This weekend I will tackle some of the electrical and wiring. It goes in the shop Monday AM for side door window and door latch.
I made sure to lock the cargo bar back to the wall so I don't get locked in. I too have some jokesters I tend to wheel with.

Feel free to throw any constructive criticism. I take all wisdom I can.
jake62
Teardrop Inspector

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:34 am

Gotta love a blank canvas... looks like you're going to have fun with this.

:applause:

Feel free to throw any constructive criticism. I take all wisdom I can.

Pardon me if you've already thought of this stuff, but you didn't mention any of it in your post...

Where will your galley be located? Do you plan on cutting in some windows? Might as well consider 2' X 2' of floor space for a portable, flushable "throne", too.

:D

How about a wheel/tire combo for the trailer that's closer in appearance to what you're running on the Jeep? Don't have to be quite as wide or as tall, but a polished alum in the Alcoa style... and a tire w/ an offroad spec would tie the tug/trailer combo together and give more ground clearance. Yes, the fenders would need to be modified or swapped for larger ones.

Also, once you decide which tire wheel combo you want to go with (even the stockers), think about a different hitch slider w/ more of a drop down to level the trailer. Nose high no good.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:41 am

:applause: :thumbsup: I like the hinge idea. Would love to transform mine to a couple of twins for others.

Have fun and keep us in Pics. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jake62 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

As a matter of fact I have thought of the wheels. I have my stock Jeep wheels ready to go and I am going to do a spring-over to take care of the height issue. The trailer in the pic attached to the jeep is one that I towed as a test-drive. The one I actually bought is a little lower.
As far as the galley, I will be putting a sink and cabinet in the front. All other cooking will be outdoors.

Recent purchases do include the following,

Flush-able toilet

BBQ to match the Jeep

Oven/Two-Burner Stove

Rain stopped my progress this week but I did manage to cover the plywood with some fiberboard paneling that is made for shower and bathroom applications. (No pics till the sun comes out again.
jake62
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lonerider » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:21 pm

interesting stove/oven! Where did you get that?
lonerider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jake62 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

lonerider wrote:interesting stove/oven! Where did you get that?

Picked it up at Costco for $150
jake62
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jake62 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:18 pm

So here are the latest pics. Rain stopped this afternoon allowing me to get the front cabinet built and a power-center box (which I found out will probably allow me to store my generator)

Here are today's pics

Still some finish work to do. Trim and covers still to come.

Taking the advice from my GF and making sure none of those "friends" get the thought of locking me in.

Window done

Walls up bu not "finished". Used FRB board to make it easy to clean.

Here is a link to the Power Center i used.
jake62
Teardrop Inspector

Looking Good Jake !!!

Postby down under tech » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi Jake and welcome to the forum. It looks like you have a good start on your project. Are the front cabinets some you bought pre-built? If so, that is a good idea. I will be watching this build. Keep up the good work. :)
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Re: Looking Good Jake !!!

Postby jake62 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:45 pm

down under tech wrote:Hi Jake and welcome to the forum. It looks like you have a good start on your project. Are the front cabinets some you bought pre-built? If so, that is a good idea. I will be watching this build. Keep up the good work. :)

front RH cabinet is just a pre-built face. I picked up a damaged one from Lowes and tore it apart so I didn't have to hang doors and such. It really made a good cabinet especially once I took all of the particle board out and used a simple frame. The rest I built from those ideas rattling around in my head. Finished the counter top today and waiting on the sink, pump and plumbing supplies. Also need to wait on some more money to come in before I go too much farther. Will have it done soon though.
jake62
Teardrop Inspector

Postby down under tech » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Jake: Aren't you glad we in America were born with good old Yankee Ingenuity? Thanks to our fore fathers! Particle board, BAD. It is too heavy and does not hold up in this situation. It doesn't like moisture either. I like the fact that you found a good use for something damaged and were able to save some bucks in the process. Good thinking, Jake. I have the "More Money" problem, also. Do what you can when it is feasible and you will be surprised at what you can come up with & the Cargo-Tear will turn out better than you planned. Keep the pics coming and it is looking good. I like the flooring, simple and sturdy.

I have a 5x8 cargo trailer but I need a 6x10 with a side door and two cargo doors on the back. You now have me thinking. Maybe after the "Silver Nugget" TD is done, hum. :roll:
Last edited by down under tech on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Trackstriper » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:52 pm

jake62 wrote:As a matter of fact I have thought of the wheels. I have my stock Jeep wheels ready to go.....

I just looked at some stock Jeep wheels and you might want to check the offset, the stock steel wheels I saw for an older Cherokee had maybe an inch of offset and that might give you inner tire clearance problems, and bearing issues if you carry any appreciable weight. Aluminum wheel spacers (adapters) could cure those issues though...just something to consider if your stockers have similar offset. One of the other forum members, Deserthawk, used some nice aluminum 15"x6" eight-holers on his TD that seem like a pretty close match to your tow vehicle.

Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Chuckles2153 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 am

jake62 wrote:So here are the latest pics. Rain stopped this afternoon allowing me to get the front cabinet built and a power-center box (which I found out will probably allow me to store my generator)

Here are today's pics

Still some finish work to do. Trim and covers still to come.

Taking the advice from my GF and making sure none of those "friends" get the thought of locking me in.

hehehehehehe, That's pretty smart thinking there, would've popped into my mind with my family and friends. :D

Window done

Walls up bu not "finished". Used FRB board to make it easy to clean.

Here is a link to the Power Center i used.
Chuckles2153
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals