Rainbassador modification 3.5.... Almost Done!!!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:23 pm

I got my new tires on the trailer today. They are 5.30 X 12" rated at 1045# each. They are about 1/2" bigger in diameter and 1/2" wider. While putting them on I discover that my fender are set at different heights. Not much, only about 1/4" but I could see it. Oh well..It has work fine for 5 years, no reason to change it now.

I was going to start tearing my tongue apart to put the new supports on and discovered a small problem. My electrical conduit is on the way.... I am going to need to disconnect the wires from my fuse box. Pull them all out. Cut the conduit and reroute it.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby starleen2 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:27 pm

rainjer wrote: While putting them on I discover that my fender are set at different heights. Not much, only about 1/4" but I could see it. Oh well..It has work fine for 5 years, no reason to change it now.
Jeremy

Who see BOTH fenders at the SAME time?? :roll:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:31 pm

My trailer tongue mod has begun now. I decide to start tearing it down this evening.

I got the tongue box off ans started unbolting the braces. I need to find a better spot for the jack stands before I move forward.

This is the conduit that is in the way.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:35 pm

Jeremy....have you tried to find a chrome center cap? A cap and some chrome lugs aren't much and would dress it up a bit. Just an idea. The tires look like they fit great!!! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:12 pm

doug hodder wrote:Jeremy....have you tried to find a chrome center cap? A cap and some chrome lugs aren't much and would dress it up a bit. Just an idea. The tires look like they fit great!!! Doug

It's funny you say that. I was going to take one with me this week and see if I could find chrome lug nuts. The caps are an oddball metric size. I might be able to clean them up and polish them some. When I do the bearing I was thinking of painting the hubs silver. I was also going to paint the rim but they cleaned up real well so I left them. When they put the tire on they put new chrome valve stems on them.

BTW... A new paint job may be in the works.....or at least a color change..... :twisted:

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:15 pm

I found some chrome lug nut today. At $1.25 each I figured I couldn't go wrong. Image

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 pm

Starting to go back together.

I need to do a little grinding to get it to fit correctly. The rust is where the old support were.

I don't like this. It is right under the door. I am going to need to trim it off.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 pm

I found some chrome center cap for my 12" wheels. I think it dresses it up very nice. Thanks for the idea Doug...

I got my first brace cut and fit. Nice tight joint. I will use this as a pattern for the second one.

I also fixed my shin buster. I took a small notch out of the top an bent the face. I only stick out 1/8" or so. I will weld the joint and dress it up some more.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 pm

I got both brace cut and fit now. Both are bolted in place temporarily. I need to pick up some new bolt and get them primed. I may deck the top with diamond plate before I put my tongue box on.

I set my tongue box in place. I was able to slide it forward so I can open my lid without having to prop it up.

I was able to pull my conduit down enough to get the brace in place. I looks like if I take an inch or two out of the length to will slip behind brace.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Sun May 09, 2010 6:32 pm

After several delays due to weather and family commitments, I my tongue repair is complete. I was able to tow the trailer over to my uncles to get the tongue braces welded.

Here are the welds all cleaned up and primed.

Now with a coat of black. There is nothing worse than wait for paint to dry.

I just need to remount the tongue box and hook up the electrical and I can go camping again.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Sun May 09, 2010 8:43 pm

All done except some clean-up and touch-up paint!!! :applause: :applause:

I got the tongue box bolted back on and all if the electrical hooked back up. The battery is charging. We should have good weather most of the week so it will be getting a bath and cleaning and then the touch-up paint.

My first outing will be to Cle Elum, WA for a Coleman collector camp-out 5/21-5/23. Then to the Spring Fling over Memorial weekend.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Previous

Return to Build Journals