Rainbassador modification 3.5.... Almost Done!!!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Rainbassador modification 3.5.... Almost Done!!!!

Postby rainjer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Over the winter I decide to upgrade the suspension on my trailer. With the stock trailer spring, axle and tires, my trailer was rated at 1240 lbs. When I built the teardrop 5 years ago, I upgraded the axle to a 2500 lb axle and I up graded the tire to 4.80 X 12. This increased the capacity to around 1500 lbs. Now I have decided to upgrade the to 1000 lb. (each) springs and to 6 ply 5.30 X 12" tires that are rated at 1045 lb each. This will get me up to a 2000 lb. capacity. My trailer is around 1150 lbs loaded.

Last night I started the tear down. Tonight I finished.

My trailer is a folding trailer so the springs are mounted on a angle iron so it make it easy to mock everything up. The old spring were 2" x 21.5" slipper springs. The new ones are 21" double eyed springs. On the old spring the axle was under slung. On the new spring I will need to over slung them. If all my measurement are correct, it will only lower my trailer by 1/4".

Jeremy
Last edited by rainjer on Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Looks good...doing anything else to the Rainbassador this spring? :thinking:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Looks good...doing anything else to the Rainbassador this spring? :thinking:

Yes, you will be seeing more mods in version 3.5 & also a version 4.0.

In addition to the spring upgrade in 3.5, I am going to redo the angled tongue supports. Currently they are just bolted on. The new ones will be welded to the tongue and bolted to the frame. They will be a little longer than the drawing shows.

Old Image New Image

Version 4.0 will only be interior cosmetic changes. I am going to make some change to my interior cabinets.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:28 am

Jeremy....did'ja get the springs swapped out today and the angle welded up? Posted this early so you'd know we're watching. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:10 pm

I am still working on fabricating up the the new angle iron that the spring seats are welded too. Because they they need to bolted back to existing holes, I need to make sure the holes are in the correct places. I should have them done today and welded.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Here is the complete angle iron all drilled up and the spring mocked up ready for welding.

All the holes lined up!!! Amazing. Each gets bolted on with 6 3/8" bolts, 2 on the sides and 4 on the bottom.

I just am waiting on a phone call from my uncle to go get it welded.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby starleen2 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:58 pm

That front angle Mod will surely stiffen up the flame and eliminate frame flexing at the front :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby rainjer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:01 pm

I ran into a problem getting my spring hanger welded up. My uncle did not like the penetration he was getting with his welder so he was going to take them to work and have them done. While I wait. I did so work on the trailer anyway. I cleaned and primed the frame where the angle bolts back on and sprayed on some rubberized undercoating in the wheel wells ant the under side if the fenders.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: looks like a good mod. Mine needs new springs too I think. The picture shows a spot on the right where the coating is not covering very thick. Bet you saw that huh! :) Amazing what a camera will see...

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rainjer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 pm

I got my spring hanger back tonight. The welds look nice and strong. I cleaned them up and put a coat of primer on them to help prevent rust.

Tomorrow evening I will start putting everything back together. Before I put the axle back in I will be replacing all of the bearing and the grease seals. It will be a lot easier up on the bench.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:41 pm

After posting my last update I realized there was still some daylight out there so I decide to go ahead and mount the spring hangers.

The spring is just finger tight. I took some measurements and so far they seem to be in the correct position. I should have 3" of clearance between the fender and the tire.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Success!!! I have 3" clearance between the tire and the fender and it looks pretty even front to back. The strange thing is they seem to be softer than my old spring even though the are heavier capacity. It may be that the old ones were flattened out more which made them stiffer.

I did not replace the bearing yet. I cant find my tool I had to put the races back in. A guy I work with is going to make another one for me this week.

The last thing to do on this project is to get the new tire installed.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:03 am

Good deal Jeremy...looks like you're ready to roll and it fits just like you wanted! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:39 am

Jeremy

When I replace a bearing race ( the outer portion of the bearing ) I take the old race to the bench grinder and slightly grind down the outer diameter so it will slip into the bore, I then use that to push the replacement home by pounding on it. I have done that to many many bearings when i was farming. I then throw the old bearing race into my drawer with the others I have done over the years. You just have to tap all around so it starts straight then you can pound harder and you will hear when it hits home.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:15 am

I had not thought of that... the only problem with that plan is I don't have a bench grinder. I work in a machine shop. I am taking the new bearing to work and one of the guys is going to turn me an aluminum tool for installing the races.

Man I have the itch to go camping...It was almost 70 here yesterday.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Next

Return to Build Journals