So it begins "Wild Hogg"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

So it begins "Wild Hogg"

Postby BossHogg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:27 am

Finally decided to jump in and get started. Bought a 5 X 8 trailer from Northern yesterday with a $20 coupon and giving away a free spare tire mount. Started building the floor last night. I got into it and couldn't stop working til about 1:30 this morning. Here's what I have so far along with some pics of some of my new toys. Question..... when calculating the final cost for what you have in the tear drop, do most people include the cost of new tools ( I'll probably use them on other projects as well)?

Correction... will post pics after they are uploaded.

Jeremy[/img]
BossHogg
Teardrop Inspector

new tools

Postby gregp136 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:31 am

As I go, I have keep a seperate list for new tools. As it is, half way dane, I am only $1000 over udget,lol.

Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Re: So it begins "Wild Hogg"

Postby aggie79 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:43 am

Jeremy,
Getting started is a good feeling. Please post pics when you can.

BossHogg wrote:Question..... when calculating the final cost for what you have in the tear drop, do most people include the cost of new tools ( I'll probably use them on other projects as well)?

No, the cost of tools does not count. Neither do any of the following count toward the cost of your teardrop:

1. Adult beverages consumed after a long build day,
2. Lost wages from taking days off to work on your teardrop, or
3. Reconstruction costs for the various "oops" that happen along the way.

:lol: :beer: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby BossHogg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Here are the pics as promised. Trying to get the floor finished this weekend so I can put the walls up soon.

New toy

The trailer

Floor frame

Floor frame in trailer. Still have to finish putting in more studs and fill with insulation.
BossHogg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby parnold » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Great start!
I am tracking cost of my tear including tools, but the tools are in a separate part of the spread sheet so they can easily be deducted. I'm shooting for a finished build under 1500 for my 4 x8 (including tools).
parnold
Donating Member

Postby John T. Hodgen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:35 am

Hey BossHogg,
Great start, my total build cost $1900 total...tools, wood, fastners, stain, sealer, new dishes, linen, curtains...etc! :thumbsup: It took 4 months of working by myself and trying to figure out the build as I had no plans but what was in my head and designing on the fly :thinking:
Are you going with sandwich walls? If so its easier to use a full sheet of 3/4 ply, cut out where you want to put the insulation. Then you can use the cut outs for doors, drawers,etc. The stick frame as I did was VERY time consuming. Also after your sides are on and the spars are in, build your cabinet faces(Kreig tool comes in handy here) and slide them in. If you do just the interior skining, then you can screw it from the outside then skin the outside to cover it all up. :twisted:
Good luck and enjoy, as you get closer to being Done, be careful to not to rush the end. I did and should have thought a few things thru more. That verse "Measure twice. cut once" does apply to rushing the build.."Think twice, once more and proceed with caution". My photobucket has lots of build/camping photos. Just trying to help from what I have discovered thru my build. Good luck :thumbsup:
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Return to Build Journals