Mueller Teardrop Cargo Hauler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby aggie79 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:23 pm

:applause: :thumbsup:

Beautiful teardrop/cargo hauler! The fenders are really incredible.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mark6mueller » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:10 pm

Aggie79,

Thanks for the compliments. I am so proud of this trailer! I've been thinking of building something like this for years.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Trips with trailer

Postby mark6mueller » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Towed my trailer on a family trip to Mount Shasta ski trip in February. Worked great! Two weekends ago towed it to San Francisco and back. I was bringing a visiting family member to SFO and hoping to buy a small motorcycle while in the city. The cycle purchase didn't pan out. Oh well. Nice trip though. Side winds don't seem to effect the car any different with the trailer. It has a leak that stills needs to be worked out at the front hatch hinge.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Follow up report 2011-07-06

Postby mark6mueller » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:58 pm

I have used my trailer on several long trips. Got new tires for it on the way to Portland. The old tires were wigging me out. I haven't installed the sway bar yet. The trailer tracks excellently up to about 65 mph. I have gone so fast around corners that the trailer swings out straight behind the car with a medium load. I don't do that often. Gotta test though. At higher speeds, I have to be smooth with the steering so the trailer doesn't oscillate back and forth temporarily. I have been thinking of a sway damper design. This is different than a sway bar. Instead of a spring it would be a linkage and shock absorber that adds additional damping as the trailer leans from side to side. The trailer actually corners fairly flat without the sway bar. This would be to soak up that side to side oscillation energy.

Also I have found that the water leaking at the forward hatch hinge is related to inadequate sealant usage. My recommendation: Don't cut corners. Use RV sealant even though it costs $11 a tube at the local RV shop. The acrylic/silicone 50 year house caulking doesn't cut it.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals