Mueller Teardrop Cargo Hauler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Maiden Voyage...

Postby mark6mueller » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:13 am

I spent the day making tabs for the hatch to lock to and aligning them. I also worked a little on the right fender, figuring out a wood wedge for the fender ends. Also figured out that LED marker lights have red or amber LEDs in them. And that I should have kept track of which is which. I now have red markers on one side and amber markers on the other. Oh well.Image
It was fun maneuvering the tear around the shop parking lot today. I even backed it into the shop.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

First Road Test

Postby mark6mueller » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:41 pm

I towed my tear home for the first time. It tracked great and rode smoothly! In the picture below you'll see the right fender, The top of the fender is a mockup. I will measure the gaps and cut a new one that should fit better.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Registered!

Postby mark6mueller » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:52 am

Yesterday I registered my trailer. I also weighed it. It weighs 900 pounds unloaded. The unloaded tongue weight is low. When I stop the hitch moves up in the receiver, lifting the front of the trailer. The receiver looks to be in good shape and has a normal amount of play. I'll favor the front when loading. Otherwise the trailer is towing just fine.

I am trying to complete the aluminum and trim installation. I also need to fasten the parking brake cables and brake lines that I am not using yet. The fenders will have to wait until next week.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 am

Loving the fender pods :thumbsup:

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Fender Pods, Camping.

Postby mark6mueller » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Greg,
The fender pods are looking more '60's appliance modern rather than Porsche 944 than I expected. But that goes with the whole tear idea in my mind. I think I will keep them. I am considering putting hatches in them and using the space. After this week's trip, I think the first hatch could be a trash bin. Nina had the trash bag clothes pinned to the open top fender pod and that gave me the idea. I'd like to put removable access hatches over the wheels.

We just got back from a camping trip in southern Humboldt. The tear was loaded about as much I expect we should ever load it. It tracked nice on the highway, but wallowed a lot on the very bumpy, windy road. I put off buying new struts but after this trip I think nice new KYB gas adjust struts are needed. The hatch worked great. And I got lots of questions and positive comments.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:00 pm

Good idea. Keep those sweaty clothes outside where you don't have to smell them :lol:
Are you guys coming up to the Recumbent Retreat this year?

=Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Recumbent Retreat

Postby mark6mueller » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:12 pm

We won't be coming up to the retreat this year. We just got back from camping and really enjoyed the sun and clear night time sky. No plans yet. Lots going on here.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

More to do, but getting to use the Tear Hauler

Postby mark6mueller » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:08 am

We used the Tear Hauler to bring our camping gear on our family camping trip in August. The boys, wanting to sleep in later and not be roused by the sun ended up sleeping in the trailer with the hatch open since there is not any ventilation at this point.

The trailer handled much better than my utility trailer. It was stable and smooth in most places except the worst parts of Petrolia Road. The goal is to have it handle nearly as stable as the car. So I decided it is time for new struts. Got some KYB GR2's which are supposed to supply stock replacement performance. I put them on last weekend and finaly got to testing them today. The handling of the trailer definitely better. But with the trailer nearly unloaded if I swerve at highway speed the trailer oscillates a couple times before settling down. The trailer suspension does not have a sway bar. It came with the suspension but when I widened the suspension I did not widen the swaybar. I think I will have a wider swaybar made for the the trailer. I think this should clean up the high speed control nicely.

I also installed a surge brake system. Even though I used a disc brake actuator (drum brakes on trailer) It seems to work well. I also included a brake proportioning valve that I had laying around from another project to dial in the level of braking. It feels like the trailer is not pushing the car when I hit the brakes hard. And the cars stops pretty quick too. Glad I did that.

I used a disc brake surge actuator because I could not find a drum brake surge actuator with electric lockout. I haven't hooked up the electric lockout yet and it doesn't seem to be an issue when backing on level ground. I'll have to try backing on a hill and see what happens.

I am slowly working on getting the fenders complete. More later.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

I added some fender work pictures

Postby mark6mueller » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Epoxy Filler Time

Postby mark6mueller » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Finally! I'm getting to permanently installing the fenders. This picture shows the left fender with West Systems Epoxy and wood flour as a filler for the fender gaps and flares for the end transitions of the fenders. This seems like an easy enough job.

Next will be placing fiber glass tape along the joints to prevent cracking, and then more epoxy filler and sanding.

I ended up cutting access arcs in the fenders. It is simpler than making slightly curvy hatches as I originally planned.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Fiber Glass Tape on Joints

Postby mark6mueller » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:36 pm

Today I epoxied fiber glass tape on the joints of the fenders. Lots of sanding coming soon.
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Looks nice Mark!!! :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Those fenders are awesome!
parnold
Donating Member

More Sanding!

Postby mark6mueller » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:13 pm

I think I may be on my last iteration of fairing filler and sanding on the sides!
Best Regards,

Mark.
mark6mueller
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:57 pm

Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, :crying1: Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, :crying2: Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, Fill, Sand, :beer:

-Greg
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals