Pacific NorthWest build started, Frame pics update 2/19/2010

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Pacific NorthWest build started, Frame pics update 2/19/2010

Postby grubbr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:57 pm

First off a big "Thanks" to everyone one the site for all the help. The generic Benroy and frame tutorial are awesome!. I probably would not have started this project if it wasn't for all information and friendly folks on this site.
So we are building the generic benroy, 10 ft long by 5 ft wide. 3500lb axle with electric brakes. 2in steel tubing all around. We are using old tires off my jeep that I saved, and I had wheels with the same lug pattern, so we will share the same spare. Additionally that gives us around 22 in of water fording capability for our off road adventures.
Frame is pretty much done and axle is hung. We are ready to move on to the next step. We have more pics in the photo album, but not sure how to link to them or copy them here. Not even real sure if this one pic will show up.
Ron Grubb
Bellingham, Wa.
Image[/img][/url]
US Navy, Retired
"Trust, but Verify". Ron Regan
grubbr
Teardrop Inspector

Welcome Ron

Postby down under tech » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:37 am

Welcome Ron: Your frame looks very sturdy. Did you build it or did you have it built? It will be a challenge to get your TD done, but that is the reason why we take on this type of project. The use of the 3500# axle is a good choice for off-road adventures. I hope you are not using 3500# springs, though. It will beat the TD to death. I would not use over 2000# springs for a much smoother ride as you glide over the tundra. I see in your pic that you are ready for Christmas, (the wreath). It looks like you have an adequate shop to work in. It is too clean. It will not stay that way after you get to building. It will become more and more cluttered with SAWDUST and TD parts. But that is OK because it can be cleaned up easily from time to time.

Well anyway, good luck on your Benroy build. Take and post lots of pictures. Then we can say we went to grubbr's house and checked out his TD as he is building it. :o
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Pacific NorthWest build, more frame pics update 2/22/2010

Postby grubbr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:00 am

Hey Jonny D. appreciate the comments. Yup, we welded up the frame ourselves, learned how to weld in the Navy, I was an old Boiler Maker when I started and this was good oportunity to teach my son how to weld. So he has some weld bead on here as well.
We did not use heavy springs, went with the lighter ones, we figured just what your saying, the ride would be too rough.
Here is a few more pics, and we did get some into the photo album and it is linked to the button below.

We are pretty happy with how the tongue came, I used scrap 2X2 and cut it an angle for the gussets, and the togue is 2X3 X1/8 wall and it seems pretty sturdy. We probably overbuilt the frame, but we do go off road some and wanted to be on the safe side.
thanks,
Ron
US Navy, Retired
"Trust, but Verify". Ron Regan
grubbr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby down under tech » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi again Ron: It looks like the Navy taught you a few tricks. I think it is good that you pass on some welding skills to your son. It will help him in the future if he decides to get into welding. The things you can fabricate are endless. I have a newer Lincoln 180C 220V welder. What size is the one in the pic? I fixed a trailer frame for a lady here on this forum that lives close by me. It was cobbed up by another party.
You can check out my welding skills on her blog, here. Her name is Pam M.
I don't have any formal training on welding, but the 180C makes it easy to weld.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=36407

This is my build blog,

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=35314

If you want to update your blog, that is to let everyone know you updated it, go back to your very first post (first page where you started your build thread). Click on edit and change the date in the heading. Simple, NOT, I had a hell of a time figuring that one out. :thinking:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Return to Build Journals