Build Update 4/09-10

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Build Update 4/09-10

Postby PapaJ » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:01 pm

I learned an important lesson this past weekend. When someone of my height and weight falls off the ladder, even if it is only the secod rung, it HURTS!! :duh:

Anyway, moving along more slowly this week.

Can anyone clarify something for me?
If I use CPES on the outside of the trailer, can I use it without fiberglass cloth, or do I need to use the cloth?

I've read most of the posts in sdtripper2's index and didn't see this question in there.

Thanks Y'all.

8)
Last edited by PapaJ on Sun May 09, 2010 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Your teardrop is looking great! Sorry to hear about the ladder fall.

CPES penetrates and doesn't build up (unless you use 3 or more coats) so if you want to use cloth then you need to use epoxy to fill the cloth.

From the builds I've seen on this forum, I'm guessing the construction methods used from most common to least common are:

1. No cloth - CPES and/or epoxy only
2. Cloth tape at seams with epoxy
3. Full covering of cloth and epoxy.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Rigsby » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:31 pm

I cant answer the cpes question, but looking at the picture, your tongue looks a bit weak for the build. Maybe you could put a couple of braces in between the hitch and the frame
Steve
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Postby PapaJ » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:59 pm

I hadn't thought about just using the cloth at the seams. I kind of like that idea.

I haven't gotten the tongue weight yet, but the trailer is pretty well balanced. Although, I've talked to a guy about welding a couple of pieces to reinforce it.

Thanks for the input!

TJ
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 am

PapaJ wrote:I hadn't thought about just using the cloth at the seams. I kind of like that idea.

I haven't gotten the tongue weight yet, but the trailer is pretty well balanced. Although, I've talked to a guy about welding a couple of pieces to reinforce it.

Thanks for the input!

TJ

TJ,

I didn't tape the seams, because I'm covering my teardrop in aluminum. I did use it at my hatch edges to stiffen the 1/8" plywood skin.

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Another new lesson

Postby PapaJ » Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 am

I learned Friday that it is possible to walk around on a broken ankle without knowing it's broken. :shock:

The Dr. says that is a myth and he sees it all the time because lots of people think because they can walk on it, it's not broke. Go figure.
Well now it is in a walking, blow-up boot type cast.

So there has been a temporary hiatus on the build.

It looks like I'll be pushing it to make the June completion date.
:(
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 09, 2010 11:10 am

Sorry to hear that you fell and have a broken ankle, PapaJ. That's not nice! :O

As far as taping your seams goes, I am also looking into that right now. I have learned that you can buy fiberglass seam tape at the local marine shops. If you are using CPES, you can purchase Fill-it from Doc. Rot and use that with your locally purchased seam tape. Doc Rot has an instruction sheet that is sent with the product that shows you how to do it.

:thinking: If your are going to use CPES and another brand of epoxy together, I'd ask before you do that to be certain the two brands are compatible. You may want to stick with one or the other.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:52 pm

My 2 cents on fiberglassing seams - definitely use the tape that has selvage edge. this WILL keep it from unraveling and stray strands from working loose. I thought I could save a few $$$ by cutting my own from fiberglass cloth - what a mess.. If you are making short runs on seams, cut the length you need, then dip it in epoxy for maximum saturation then apply over the seam, squeegee out any excess. Please note that fiberglass does not like 90 degree angles, so a gentle curve many be necessary on the edges or you can use filler to get a square edge
. . .and you get nice edges like this:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Build Journals