46 kit rebuild updated 6-14-2010

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby maud'Dib » Fri May 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Classic Finn
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:27 pm Post subject:
Eric "Finntastic" work your doing. Thumbs Up Applause Applause

I have a question for you. I looked in your gallery and found this pic. Can you tell me what the pipe is for on the towbar? Is that for a wheel or?

What size ball is that hitch for?

The vertical pipe on the tongue is the receiving tube for the tongue stand which is in the back ground of the picture in front of the baby wipe box that is holding jumper cables. And as far as the ball size, I have no idea. If Gage says 1 7/8th, I'm going with that. I haven't towed the thing anywhere yet.

later
eric
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

progress continues

Postby maud'Dib » Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 am

The wife took the kids out of town this weekend so I had 2 entire days to devote to the kit. I got quit a bit done over the course of the last 48hrs. First I finished most of the wiring. 2 reading light, and a dome light inside. Then a set of one 12v outlet and one 110v outlet, both inside and in the galley. No battery as of yet.

Next I started on the aluminum skin. I first rough cut the sides with a jig saw then contact cemented them to the side walls and trimmed flush with the router. Then I spent what seemed like an hour cleaning up metal shavings from all over the garage. After both sides were covered I insulated the roof with 3/4 pink board and covered directly over that with the aluminum.

The top edge moulding is in place. I used the aluminum drive screws from teardrop fix it shop. They gave it great rivet look and they should hold well. I had a heck of a time removing the originals during the deconstruction. I also reused some of the old trim pieces. It took a lot of elbow grease and some 150 grit and 400 grit sand paper to clean them up, but they looked great when done.
For the heck of it I put one tire on and mocked the fender up to see what it will look like. The fenders will eventually be black.

Then on to the hatch. It was built out of four 3/4" treated plywood ribs. The lateral 2 ribs were also covered by 1/2" birch ribs for looks. Aluminum was placed directly over the top and bottom.
The top skin on the hatch is also secured with drive screws. I have yet to rivet the top edge moulding to the lateral edge of the hatch.
I also found time to mount the tail lights and the shore power outlet.
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Postby maud'Dib » Wed May 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Thought I'd post a pic of the drive screws that I used on the top edge moulding. They installed easily, just predrilled the aluminum and then predrilled the wood with a smaller bit and drove the nails/screws with a hammer and used a bolt that had a concave tip that matched the nail head as a punch, as to limit any hammer impacts on the trim.
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Postby maud'Dib » Wed May 26, 2010 7:01 pm

In order to keep the rivet look along the top edge of the kit that the drive screws achieved, I decided to use the hollow shaft rivets from teardrop fix it shop for the top edge moulding that runs the lateral edge of the hatch. I figured that one of body shop persons I know in the area would have a rivet squeezer for installation but no luck, and I didn't want to spend the cash on a tool that I'll use once. So decided to us a pair of C-clamps to provide the squishing power needed to secure the rivets. After some practice I found that if you cut an x into the hollow shaft end you are able to fold the 4 created sections of the cylinder down after inserting in hole, and then apply the clamp and squish tight. You are left with a rivet back that looks like a + sign and the face of the rivet is a little flat, but it works and looks good.
The first c clamp that I used was made in china and failed

I'll attempt the actual install tonight, so far just practiced on the scrap pieces of aluminum.
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Postby maud'Dib » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Finished with that hatch supports last night. I didn't use the gas struts, I just kept it simple and attempted to stay close to the original design of the supports that were used on the kit, well, my kit anyways. Not sure if they were the originals or not. All the supplies a got at the local ace hardware store. The supports themself are 3/4 in aluminum tubing. The tops are attached to the hatch with L brackets that are bent and the tubing is fixed between the brackets with aluminum screw posts.
The base for the supports is also made out of small L brackets that are screwed to the sidewall and base cabinet at a 90 degree angle. I then screwed a section of 1/2 dowel ontop of the brackets and hammered a 5/8 brass bushing over the dowel. The aluminum tubing slids on and off nicely. To secure the supports I used some big safety pins
I also got the door edge moulding installed and the top edge moulding installed along the bottom. I also installed a fantastic vent fan. I'm not a huge fan of the look so far. Not sure if it's the white plastic of the fan that I don't like or what. I may look into painting it black. You'll also notice the axle is removed. I thought I would be able to use the original axle but after putting the tires on under weight it was evident I would not be able to. What I thought was a little slop was greatly magnified at the perimeter of the tires causing them to rub. I even threw some washers on the hubs to see if that would keep the tires off the walls, but no good. I've put in a call to a local dexter distributer and they are trying to figure out a new axle.

I'm hoping to be done by the end of June. We are planning on taking the kit on its first trip to yellowstone. This whole axle thing may be cutting it close.
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Wow... great job so far!

That thing looks fantastic!

:applause: :thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby maud'Dib » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:43 pm

After much searching for an axle that would work with my tires and fenders I decided to attempt to tare apart the original and fix. the link below shows how I did it. The fix appears successful, but time will tell.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 131#695131
Last edited by maud'Dib on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Postby maud'Dib » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:47 pm

I got the ice box installed after dealing with the whole axle dilema. I used the original that came in it, it cleaned up nicely with a wire brush wheel. I used new retro style hinges but was able to reuse the latch.

maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Postby YuGun » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:48 pm

wow! Ä°t is like a time machine!
Good luck!
Sincelery,
YuGun
The 300 Club

Postby grizz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:33 am

Your work is awesome and inspiring.

I guess these are Repro lights ????

Where did you get them from, and how much were they ?

Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby maud'Dib » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:42 am

The tail lights are reproduction lights. I got them off of ebay. I spent around 40 bucks for the pair. I also got the posts for the lights from eday and they were around 20 bucks.

later
eric
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:53 am

Incredible build and exquisite craftsmanship.

maud'Dib wrote:I also installed a fantastic vent fan. I'm not a huge fan of the look so far. Not sure if it's the white plastic of the fan that I don't like or what. I may look into painting it black.

I think your fantastic fan looks good. When outside, the reflection of the aluminum will blend the colors, plus your eye will be drawn darker color of the top.

Fantastic Fan is available in a gray exterior. Vintage Trailer Supply sells these, but you can get them from Adohen as well.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby maud'Dib » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 pm

tom

the fan is growing on me. I think I was so use to looking at the camper without a fan on top that after it was installed it just looked foreign.

I had no idea that they made a fantastic fan with gray exterior. A little late for this build, but maybe for build number two.

later
eric
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Postby grizz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:10 pm

maud'Dib wrote:The tail lights are reproduction lights. I got them off of ebay. I spent around 40 bucks for the pair. I also got the posts for the lights from eday and they were around 20 bucks.

later
eric

Thanks Eric.

I think these are the details an "outsider" will not pick up on, but they do make the trailer for me.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby maud'Dib » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:08 am

Got the cabinet doors finished and installed. I used aluminum piano hinges, aluminum t moulding, and vintage push button hardware.

I also got one of the doors hung. I still have to figure out how to install the latch properly.

I also got the galley hatch handle installed. The mechanism is for a three point latch system but I only plan on using the two rods, they are not shown in the pic. There is also a homemade rubber gasket between the handle and galley skin.
maud'Dib
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals