Un-named Travel Trailer Build - 99% Done! April 18

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby fromeo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:04 pm

We got a few hours in 2 weeks ago and again today, so here's a quick update.

Installed the shower surround and got the shower plumbing finished up. I found this surround when I was out in Elkhart for $30 (vs. the $200 to get the tub matching one thru the local dealer). It was intended for a 4" shower pan and not a tub, so the surround was way too tall and a fraction of an inch too deep. It's made of plastic so we carefully cut it to fit with the air shears.. As a result the design is no longer centered top to bottom, but I don't think most people would notice.. :lol: The edges that meet with the paneling were trimmed in with FRP cap molding and the top was trimmed with that "sealing trim" they sell on a roll that is supposed to replace caulk (this stuff: http://www.magicamerican.com/magicbath/product/f31eb46c-9a4c-4140-bfe7-fb49d8fd2039.aspx). All said and done I'm happy with the way it turned out:

The rear of the shower valve. This will get a cover plate shortly:

Made up a cover to hide the plumbing that ran along the bathroom wall behind the toilet. The vent pipe access will also get a cover plate soon:

The louvered cover for the furnace was brown and getting a little rusty. I took it down to a friend's shop and procured his blast cabinet for an hour to strip it and then got it painted up black:

Also got a duct ran off the furnace into the bathroom. Once the insert panels are done we will install a register in there to help distribute the heat if the bathroom door is closed:

Installed the microwave. This is a $40 model from Wal-Mart. I found some mounting brackets for a Dometic RV Microwave new in the box on eBay for $10. A little cutting of the brackets, a few holes drilled in the brackets and the microwave cover, and we got the brackets mounted up to the microwave. Built-in look for a fraction of the price of an "RV microwave." The cabinet opening was about 1" too tall so we cut a filler piece, stained/polyurethaned it to match and installed it at the top to close the gap:

My brother says the doors and drawer fronts are almost done (2 more coats of poly needed), so we will be trying our hand at drawer building in the next few weeks.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:31 pm

ImageImage

You have an amazing eye for detail! I just love your entire build!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Once again, Miriam and I are in agreement on our assessments. :yes:

You are doing a truly beautiful job. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing it all. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fromeo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks Sharon & Aunti M!!

Got a little more work done, so time for an update.

About 3 weeks back, my brother finally got the doors & drawer fronts finished. Little pile awaiting installation:

We started off in the bathroom, first installing the one blank panel in there. Drill some pilot holes:

Secured with screws from the rear (as you might guess from the following picture, this was NOT fun!):

Next we pulled the medicine cabinet off the wall and got that door installed:

Then we moved onto the 2 doors under the sink. First install some hinges:

Hang the doors and install the roller catches:

All closed up:

Wardrobe door hung:

Upper galley doors:

In addition to the roller catches, the overhead doors get spring loaded struts to hold them open:

Finally, the overhead cabinets up front get hung:

With that we called it a day. The next day I got outside to finish up a few things. First, the heat duct in the bath:

Then the blank panels up front:

Front all closed up:

Double checked the junction box for the 7 pin connector and got that closed up:

Last weekend we built the drawer boxes. Sides are 1/2" ply, bottom is 1/4" ply. I got three boxes installed this past week and my brother came down yesterday and we finished the rest up. Here's the galley boxes installed:

And slid out.. they are all on Accuride 100lb full extension ball bearing slides (nice and only about $15/ea):

I built a little framework under the countertop to hold the upper two sets of slides. This will also get covered with some scrap paneling to enclose the cabinet under the sink, don't want things falling into the drawer area. The back of the outside entertainment panel and the wiring bundle there will be getting an insulated cover this week:

The wardrobe cabinet drawer box installed:

Then we installed the drawer fronts, used a scrap piece of ply to keep the three galley drawer fronts aligned:

Galley drawers finished up with the hardware on:

Wardrobe all buttoned up:

We had planned on putting a blank panel in the opening between the wardrobe and the couch, but there isn't enough room to remove it and access the pump when the water heater is installed. One more door needs to be built to cover that, hopefully that's done real soon.

And that's it for the progress from the last few weeks. During this week I plan on finishing up under the sink, getting that all enclosed and the drain plumbing all connected up, then the last two doors go on and the galley will be complete. The next major tasks are the upholstery for the couch/bed and some valences for the windows to hold blinds & curtains.

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:38 pm

Frank, your build is absolutely beautiful and incredibly detailed. Thank you so much for sharing your building. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dmanrick » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Super nice job. I got my build done on the outside and decided to tear it down to the frame and make almost an exact copy of this one I am so impressed.

I have a couple of questions though.

I see that you attached the walls to the side of the floor instead of sitting them on top. Is there a reason for that? It seems to me that all of the weight of everything is resting on only screws.

Would there be anything that you would have done differently if you were to do it over again? I'm not talking about the cabinets and stuff like that, just mainly structural, design, The building of anything in particular?
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby fromeo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:49 pm

Dmanrick wrote:Super nice job. I got my build done on the outside and decided to tear it down to the frame and make almost an exact copy of this one I am so impressed.

Rick,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Had a killer week at work and have also been burning the midnight oil trying to get this thing buttoned up - hoping to get him out for the first trip on April 1!

Thanks for the compliments! I'm quite flattered but also a little disappointed because I thought you were really onto something slick there with the pop-up cargo hauler you had going.

Dmanrick wrote:I see that you attached the walls to the side of the floor instead of sitting them on top. Is there a reason for that? It seems to me that all of the weight of everything is resting on only screws.

Yeah, actually there was a couple of reasons for it being done that way.

The first reason was the wheelwells salvaged from the pop-up. The pop-up was built with the walls on the outside of the floor, so the way the wheelwells were configured it was the easiest way to do things. Putting the walls on top of the floor would have required some tricky framing. Take a peek at this pic and I think you will see what I'm talking about:

Another reason was to keep the door at floor level without breaking the bottom plate of the wall. This is a minor issue and could have been easily worked around.

The last reason is that I felt it was easier to pull a slightly bowed wall straight laterally instead of vertically. I guess it's cheating a little bit, but by making the floor 100% square and straight you can easily "pull" any warp out of the side walls and get a perfect looking seam. If the walls were on top of the floor and your base plate wasn't 100% "flat" you would have a nightmare of a time pulling it flush to the floor if it was pre-skinned with your wall panels.

As far as it going anywhere, I'm honestly not really worried. There's a screw every 10" or so around the perimeter and I pre-drilled and drove a common framing nail in at a few points (because they have a ton of shear strength compared to a screw). In addition, all of the commercial trailers I've worked on (a few, not a bunch) were built in the same manner, and although they have their fair share of problems, I can't say I've seen a body fall off yet :lol:

Dmanrick wrote:Would there be anything that you would have done differently if you were to do it over again? I'm not talking about the cabinets and stuff like that, just mainly structural, design, The building of anything in particular?

A few things come to mind. First off, with the floor - up front where there is a large section of open floor, the floor has more give then I would like. Possible fixes would have been to have spaced the "joists" differently, or to have added a cross-brace between the #2 and #3 "joists" to transfer some of the floor load to one of the steel cross-members. I plan on adding the latter this weekend. In the rear, there's no issue, the open floor space is small and the cabinets really stiffen things up - that section is like walking on concrete.

Another thing is that is the frame had some angle iron running front-to-back between some of the cross members. This appears to have been floor support in the pop-up (which had just a sheet of OSB). You can see the angle pretty well in this pic:

Now, I knew that those angles would be in the way of the tanks, but I "listened" to others that I should leave them in until later. Let me tell you, climbing under there with a cut-off wheel and a grinder to cut them out with the floor in was NOT fun. So I guess what I'm saying is trust your plan :)

Last thing that comes to mind.. If I was building another one, I'd take a shot at building trusses for the roof instead of using solid members. Sure would have been a nice way to save a few pounds, and would have made wiring a lot easier.

I don't have any super detailed plans, but I do have some drawings and some notes. If any of that is in any way helpful to you, just ask and I am happy to share.

Thanks!

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby Dmanrick » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks so much for the reply. Everything you said makes perfect sense. As far as the popup toy hauler, I thought it was a better idea than it actually was. I did get just about the whole outside finished along with the canvas all sewn and fitting good and then I got to thinking that we might use it once or twice for what it was designed for in it's entire life. A travel trailer like you made would get way more use. That's why I tore it back down to the square tubing frame and basically started over. I will be almost the same as yours except with a couple of twists. It is going to have a slide out for the couch and maybe a popout bed in the front like a hybrid. I'm not sure about the popout bed part but the slide out framework is already done and operational. I am trying to take pics as I go but sometimes I get involved and have to go back and try to take a pic after the fact.

When I get a little more work done on it, I am going to make a topic like this one. Hopefully mine comes out half as good as your has.
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby fromeo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:00 pm

It's been about 6 weeks since I've posted an update, so here's a shot at catching up. Been plugging away a couple of days/nights a week finishing things up. Lots of little jobs to do to get things finished, some (like filling nail holes in the paneling and caulking where things run through the floor) aren't really picture-worthy, so here's some of the better jobs..

After the last update I started with enclosing the back of the outside entertainment panel:

Then I framed out the rest of the divider for the under-sink cabinet:

Plumbed the sink drain:

Added a closet rod to the wardrobe cabinet. This is a scrap of EMT sitting in $2 closet rod brackets:

Painted and installed the fenders:

Installed the cable TV inlet (probably never use it, but it came with the antenna...)

Painted the water heater door and got the water heater installed:

Water heater plumbed in:

Water heater fired up:

Testing the water system - Running water!

Then installed the cover panels over the plumbing access holes:

Safety Third! (for the dirty jobs fans) Smoke Alarm:

Fire Extinguisher with first aid kit sitting behind (don't forget the trash can, VERY handy!):

Range Hood Vent installed:

Remounted the step so it was centered under the door (it had just been bolted in the original pop-up location which was a few inches off). Also installed a shoe scrubber mat. The step eventually needs to get sandblasted and powder coated. We sanded/wire wheeled and painted it, but the moving parts kills the paint:

Step Light installed on the side of the frame rail firing at the step. The idea here is to light up the step so you don't break your neck without annoying all the other campers with bright light. Just an amber LED clearance fixture:

Replaced the foam seals around the fridge and mounted it to the cabinet finally:

Painted and installed the screw cover strips on the fridge vent:

Installed all the vinyl insert trim on the extrusions, and around the doors (yes, it is begging for a bath at this point!):

Somewhere along the way, I started on the window treatments. First pulled out the table saw and ripped some strips out of plywood. Then the kreg jig for some holes:

Assembled:

Glued on some batting for a little padding:

And wrap it in fabric:

Rinse, repeat and assemble for the galley windows:

And then the rest of the trailer:

Since the fabric is out, might as well make up a trim piece for over the entry door. This is scrap ply, padded and covered:

Mount the blinds in the valences (if you look closely in the corners you can see velcro to hold the curtains that come later):

The valences mount to the wall with wide corner brackets. 2 on the short bathroom window, 3 on the others:

Shorten all the blinds, mount the lower rail brackets to the wall and you get this:

Then my brother made up a matching mirror for the bath:

Mounted with double sided tape:

Done:

Then Kathy and I made up some curtains from fabric we bought years ago (for what I dont remember). We put pleated folds along the top to give them a not-so-flat look:

Stained and polyurethaned the bathroom door jamb:

Installed the last two cabinet doors:

Swapped the old tongue jack for a side-crank model, moved the LP foward a few inches to make more room for the battery, and installed the battery:

Shower curtain track and the inner skylight trim my brother made (they want $120 for those plastic ones!!)

Accordian door for the bathroom:

Closed:

Bathroom curtains done:

Galley curtains done:

Entry door all trimmed out:

OK, finally on to my favorite part - the couch/bed! We bought upholstery fabric from one of the surplus dealers when we were in Elkhart. During the week I got it cut up and Kathy sewed up all the covers. Then I got started on the foam for the seating.

King size 6" memory foam mattress from Wally World being taken apart (much cheaper than buying foam seperately):

Figure out how best to lay out the pieces:

Making marks:

A little fun with the Electric Knife:

Wrap the foam blocks in polyester (or dacron or whatever the lady said it was):

Glue the foam to the plywood backing and stuff the cushions in:

Pull, tug, shoot 9million staples:

And it resembles a cushion!

The big ones are even MORE fun..

Repeat..

Cushions installed! Kathy made the little pillow from the same fabric I used on the valences.

There's a piece of plywood wrapped in the upholstery fabric mounted across the front wall to keep the cushions vertical in couch mode. The 2 seat pieces + the 2 long backrests make up a full sized bed. There is a small gap with just those 4 cushions in couch mode, see here in the corner:

Made this little guy to fill that gap:

Installed pins on the 2 end sliding sections to lock it in or out:

The white strips on the sliding section are pieces of "industrial strength" velcro. This keeps the backrests from sliding around in bed mode:

And here it is setup in bed mode. Takes less than a minute to pull the pins, slide the section out, replace the pins and drop the 2 backrests into place. The third little cushion just goes on the floor under the bed:

As a bonus, it's pretty comfortable in either configuration! My brother checking it out:

I made up a little 12V table lamp which looks neat on the table next to the couch. Unfortunately it kind of washed the picture out:

At this point, it is pretty much done (until mods come of course!). He backyard camped in it Saturday night, slept in the bed and used the shower in the morning. I need to put together a hitch ball and mount the sway control bar and get it to the scales. Then give it a really good cleaning inside and out, and he can load it and we'll head out somewhere. Eventually he wants to make up a matching folding table and add some shelves in the cabinets, but he will do that after he sees how it loads up. Pics in the woods ASAP!

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:21 pm

:awesome: Yay, Frank! It's done and done well!!!!! Congratulations! Ya done really, really good!

The cornices and coordinating fabrics finish the camper nicely and the couch bed is a very nice idea.

I'm looking forward to those first trip pics!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dmanrick » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:25 pm

Awesome. Totally awesome. My hat's off to you. You and your family have built something to be very, very proud of and I hope that your brother will get years of enjoyment out of it.

Please let me know what it weighs. :)
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby myoung » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Although I haven't viewed every build thread, I think it is fair to say that this one is the ultimate in its attention to detail and execution. You should be exceedingly proud. Kudos!!!
:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby bve » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:48 pm

What an awesome build! Great design, beautiful execution, inspiring thread.

Looking forward to some 'in the wild' photos... any ideas for a name yet?

< stand >
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
< / stand >
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 am

love it`! i am sure you will enjoy the heck out of that. `congrats!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby jelkins » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:23 am

Awsome job on the camper.

I am looking to build one and would appreciate any info you could help with.

Also, a few questions:
How did you seal the top to the sides?
Did you use standard rv extrusion on the other seems?
Have you weighed it yet?

Thanks,
James
jelkins
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals