Surprises behind everything - UPDATE 6/25/2010

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Surprises behind everything - UPDATE 6/25/2010

Postby Gage » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:53 pm

So you want to restore a vintage trailer. Well be prepared to find many surprises behind anything you remove.

I'm replacing the lower skin panels on the Field & Stream I'm restoring. When I removed the rear skin, surprise, the wood was rotten and moldy also had holes in it. You could put your thumb right through it, it was in such good condition. So I removed that piece and again another surprise. The lwr frame and part of the flooring was also gone. I'm almost afraid to remove the right side skin. Can you blame me? Here's a couple of pictures. You can see more at
http://www.gages-56.com/FnS.html

Last edited by Gage on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:24 pm

Amazing that it was still hanging together enough to drag it home Gage! Looks like they really found a deal on particle board, I'm assuming that's what it is...looks like it anyway. Any idea on what the original selling price was back then? I feel your pain! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Gage

That really bites. but now you have something to do.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:58 pm

:shock: That's just plain sad and awful, Gage. :( Do you think you can save it?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gage » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:11 pm

doug hodder wrote:Amazing that it was still hanging together enough to drag it home Gage! Looks like they really found a deal on particle board, I'm assuming that's what it is...looks like it anyway. Any idea on what the original selling price was back then? I feel your pain! Doug
No problem dragging it home. Only had to move it three houses. But I towed it down to Romoland, about 90 miles down I-15 and got the whole trailer down there without the rear end falling off. :lol: And yes, the whole trailer is particle board, no interior framing to speak of. :? The one good thing about this restore is that the trailer was FREE. :thumbsup: They only asked that I post pictures.

S. Heisley wrote: Do you think you can save it?
No problem. It's just a little more work than what I was planning. I've already got the new skin for it and broke. I got permission from Dean and was going to bring it up to the IRG. But that's not going to happen now. :cry:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby pete42 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:05 pm

"They only asked that I post pictures."

I'll bet they just want to see how bad it really was.

but show them pictures when you finish.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Mmmm... particle board.

:roll:

I guess, Gage, when you're finished it'll be lighter -and- stronger than it was when new!

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:47 pm

mmmmm . . . . .particle board . .

When you can't afford termites

:lol:
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lauriandgary » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:01 pm

Ouch :cry:

Isn't it just amazing how these old trailers hold up with all of the rot & damage!

Look forward to your restoration.
Gary

And if I don't see you tomorrow, hello.
lauriandgary
Teardrop Master

Trailer Restoration

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 pm

:shock: euww.... I'm cleaning up a 1964 Aristocrat and found out the same thing was starting to happen on the bottom with the black mold. It has been stored outside since I was a girl, though under a carport cover. I will definitely NOT start taking it apart if this is what may await me!

Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:58 pm

:o REBUILD! Looking forward to the picties and the details. Sorry you have to redo!. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gage » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:53 am

Moving right along. You can find more pics and how I got to the point it's at by clicking HERE. Enjoy :)

Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Build Journals