Tangerine Dreamer Its begun

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Tangerine Dreamer Its begun

Postby Vindi_andy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:41 am

Not actually started anything yet but lots of ideas going round my head.

Some of you will have seen my GRP/FRP thread and that is they way I want to go Partly for the challenge partly so I can learn the skills and a large part because it will be fairly unique and when Im at a show I can say " I did that"

Got the day off work friday so will talk to some places about getting a towbar fitted alos going to pick up a 4' X 8' sheet of cellotex foil covered insulation to have a play with it terms of shaping working etc.

Will keep you up to date and pics will be coming as and when there is something to show. Have set myself a deadline to be on the road by Early May Bank holiday (UK) next year whether it will be painted or not is a different matter but Im planning on having it built and on the road.
Last edited by Vindi_andy on Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:49 am

We know what you mean when you talk about the ideas going round yer heade.

:lol:
It gets worse. :? :D

Congrats on your Unofficial Start, sir. Would you be towing this composite lightweight behind the vehicle pictured in your avatar?

And what is that, exactly? Looks akin to a Caterham.

All the best!

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:56 am

Yes the car in the avatar will be the tow vehicle and weighs in at a massive 750 KG (1653 lb) hence the reason for the lightweight trailer. Engine power is not the issue as Im running a 2.0 l engine from an old sierra which is producing a healthy 111 BHP but I dont want the tail wagging the dog

It is akin to a caterham in that it is classed as a "Lotus seven inspired sportscar" but this one has 4 seats which means all the family can enjoy it

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:07 am

...I dont want the tail wagging the dog

Good thinking.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Named for the band?

If so: :thumbsup:

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby planovet » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Greg M wrote:Named for the band?

That was my first thought. Great group!

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Vindi_andy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:01 am

Was named for the car.

Wanted something that went with Tango, and we were going through words and wife cam up with Tangerine and i vaguely remembered Tangerine Dream and because in a teardrop you "sleep perchance to dream" (spot the classical quote) it was extended to Tangerine Dreamer

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Throw a Tangerine Dream mix tape into your Tangerine Dreamer TearDdrop to fall asleep to and you'll have covered it.

:D :dancing

Right then. Enough of this bloody nonsense. Let's see some pics!

:snappy:

Ooops. I said "tape"... :NC

:lol:

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 am

There are no pics at the moment.

Ordered some Cellotex foil covered foam insulation boards on friday and had a play with sticking them together to make a 10' long piece. That didnt work the top layer of foam just seperated from the rest leaving the PU adhesive with a furry layer of foam. Going to see if they can do 10' in a single board unless someone can suggest a better foam.

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby Vindi_andy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:54 am

Right after reading and rereading the posts here and many hours discussion with the wife it looks like there is going to be a construction change for Tangerine Dreamer.

Because we want to be camping sooner rather than later and knowing my limitations and skills Ill need to learn we have decided to go fro the more traditional construction method of Ply over a Stick or batten frame with insulation in between. couple of questions and yes I know this has probably been covered somewhere before but the searches throw up sooo many threads it would take me weeks to slog through them all. Will 1/4" ply over "stick" frame be strong enough for most cases. And what ply would be the best to go for in terms of material no of plies etc.

I have managed to find somewhere that can supplyy 10' x 4' sheets at £30 per sheet for 1/4' ply but on further questioning I have my doubts as to the quality. The guy told me it was brazillian ply and only had 3 plies, having read some of the threads regarding the differing qualities of ply Im thinking this probably isnt the best. Any help that can be offered greatly appreciated.

Oh and the glass over foam construction is still going to go ahead it just that by building the traditional way we can be camping whilst construction of Tangerine Dreamer II goes on and there wont be as much pressure to get it done. Im just very aware that Tempus fugit and all that.

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 am

If you're going for a quick build, perhaps you should consider 3/4 solid walls instead of sandwich walls. I built mine in 6 weeks outdoors so I was under the limitations of the weather. Could have done it quicker if I had a garage or decent shelter.

Sorry I don't have an answer to your ply question.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 am

Want to do sandwich so I can insulate the walls as they wife is fedup of being cold when we go th certain car shows.

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby Rigsby » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:55 pm

Vindi_andy wrote:Want to do sandwich so I can insulate the walls as they wife is fedup of being cold when we go th certain car shows.

Tell het to put another jumper on :lol:

Or get a hot water bottle
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Postby Vindi_andy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:16 am

She thinks Im her hot water bottle and Im fed up of her cuddling up when shes cold just when Ive got nice and toasty lol

Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:19 am

when shes cold just when Ive got nice and toasty

Four words....

twelve volt electric blanket
parnold
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals