BenBrownJournalling

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

BenBrownJournalling

Postby BenBrown » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:10 pm

Soon as I figure out how to get my album drawing (made into a jpeg) over here maybe I can improve my success with the tear build.

Project... a very tiny tear capable of being pulled by a Honda Insight hybrid.
Limits: working within the budget and a few salvaged parts (lots of oak flooring).

I've agreed to make a tear that my 6'3" relative can stand up in... (he's the tallest among them). The height will also come in handy when I have to travel with a full size harp to conferences/gigs. It gets brutally cold in my part of Michigan in the winter and blazingly hot in the summer so I would rather over insulate than under insulate. Rough interior dimensions (if it was a box) is 7x7x5.

I'm thinking I want detachable solar panels, so I can park in the shade. The power will be DC...(with the remote chance of an ac air conditioner.)

I just learned about making a drop box and have to see how I could benefit, if i can, to meet my goals.

...oh yes... truth being truth... I'd really like a retreat where I can study and practice music apart from the house... I'm hoping i can do it with this...

oh yes... the human form in my drawing is based on my size.

"...So The Quest Continues..."
BenBrown
Teardrop Inspector

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:54 pm

Welcome, Ben.

I wish you all the best with your plans and your build, but... you must first determine a weight goal, in pounds, for your trailer! then attempt to meet it.

For some reason, Honda Insight + standing room for 6'3" + solar panels (and a suitable storage battery, charge controller, etc) + oak flooring material (although thin and potentially light in weight) don't really add up just yet. Then there's the added weight for even the smallest commercially-available air conditioner which weighs at least 50 lbs and would need to be mounted low in the trailer for center-of-gravity purposes.

Everything you're looking for MIGHT require a slightly more substantial tow vehicle... again, I say, "might".

If the Owners Guide for your car does not state a tow capacity, you must then see if a good and knowledgeable supplier such as e-trailer has a receiver hitch in their inventory with an application for the Inisght...

You might be limited to towing only a maximum weight near 700 lbs, if that. If you were driving a compact car with a conventional drivetrain, you could defintely tow more, but the hybrid driveline in your Insight might not be designed w/ towing in mind. I could very well be mistaken, however.

Check also to see what the european-market version of your Insight might have for a tow capacity and go from there.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

tear drop

Postby BenBrown » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14 am

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... c_id=68315

...I wonder if I've posted the pic so others can see it?
BenBrown
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:15 am

There ya go !

If I am awake enough to be standing I am outside. Use the trailer for cargo in route and a place to sleep at night. Pop-up shelters can by your living room, rec room, bar ,or whatever. They take up about 3 cubic feet of cargo room and are the single camping assessory you will not get me to give up. A haven in the rain or snow ( yep snow) and brutal sun and THey also make a nice dining room/kitchen combo :lol:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Build Journals