The Beaver Build (Updated August 30/10)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

The Beaver Build (Updated August 30/10)

Postby lindstrand » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:38 pm

This is my first build and post so we will see how it goes. I have pretty much nailed down my design, although you can see that there are some details that are missing.

Door is missing but other than that most of its there.

Ignore the floating axle

Toyed around with the idea of building an ice box but decided against it. I also want to Install a stereo and speakers on an arm that can swing out. Couple reasons I can always point the speakers at the fire and I can use my remote without getting up.

Pretty basic. I am thinking of making the sink sunk so that a cover will keep the countertop flush.

Some specs...
100" long 66" wide and about 66" tall. Has to be under 1000 lbs for my car to tow it. I got the frame from an old tent trailer for a case of beer. I will post those pictures later.

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by lindstrand on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:59 am, edited 9 times in total.
lindstrand
Teardrop Builder

The trailer that can...

Postby lindstrand » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 pm

As you can see not much to salvage on this but it will serve a greater purpose.

lindstrand
Teardrop Builder

Postby teardrop_focus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:26 am

Welcome aboard. :peace:

:lol:

That last pic is pure comedy! ..all hooked up to the truck yet stuff's falling out of the trailer...

Pretty much sums up the heap I'm trying to build in my backyard yet have it ready to tow in 5 days...

:?

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:03 am

Seems a little rough.....but I think it will buff out!

Have fun with your build, there is no going back now!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:43 am

Image Yep, you have some tearing up to do. Looks fine to me. You will want to watch your balance or move that axle back some. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Day 1 & 2 of the build

Postby lindstrand » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:49 am

I stripped the trailer which only took about 45 minutes. Which surprised me considering how good of shape it was in. The frame is rusty but not to bad. Axle is straight, bearings are in good shape just need to be repacked, and I need one new tire. So all in all not to bad.

The trailer was 6' wide so I trimmed that down to be closer to the width of my car.

Made the wood frame and set it in place to see what it looks like

My beautiful wife to be doing some painting. Well she doesn't look all that happy about it but she was. At first my plan was only to paint the exposed frame but later found out that you can see more than I thought from the side so I ended up painting the whole frame

Drilling the holes to bolt the floor to the trailer. The tent trailer was bolted down with only x4 1/4" bolts. I used x8 3/8" bolts so it shouldn't go anywhere.

My hired welder laying beads. Well thats a stretch more like a farmer (my dad) with a welder burning holes in my trailer haha.

Applied some foundation tar to the bottom of my floor. Just a wonderful product. I can't imagine garbage like this floating around the Gulf.

Sketched out my profile. The profile consists of 3 parts. The front goes vertical up 14" to allow for a box in the front. Then it curves with a complex parametric curve for a "teardrop". Finally it curves back with an ellipse.

Intense jigsawing and...

Wala there's my profile

Camera went dark for a while. Installed top and bottom plates and the studs in the walls. Cut one roof spar just for a temperary assembly.

So here is the end of day 2. Would like to get some new wheels but as the university pretty much sucks me dry I will probably blast and paint these ones.

Has anyone used a product called Snow Roof for waterproofing their tear? If so how did it work if not what dowhat do you think.

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=KST&prodno=016904100012&doctype=PDS&lang=E
lindstrand
Teardrop Builder

Postby lindstrand » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 am

Miriam C. wrote:Image Yep, you have some tearing up to do. Looks fine to me. You will want to watch your balance or move that axle back some. :thumbsup:

Ya we spent alot of time talking about the balance. I actually shortened my orginal design. I am hoping that the front box will give me enough room to pack it so it is balaced. Worst case scenario (I hope) I take my cooler out and put in the front of the trailer for travel.
lindstrand
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:12 am

lindstrand wrote:
Miriam C. wrote:Image Yep, you have some tearing up to do. Looks fine to me. You will want to watch your balance or move that axle back some. :thumbsup:

Ya we spent alot of time talking about the balance. I actually shortened my orginal design. I am hoping that the front box will give me enough room to pack it so it is balaced. Worst case scenario (I hope) I take my cooler out and put in the front of the trailer for travel.

It is perhaps my having viewed so many with wheels back. With yours under you can heavy load the middle and should be good. You can always come back and have Dad help with moving the axle.

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby grizz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Cool speedy build.

I guess those are not Rugby posts in the background ?

Gridiron practice space ?
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lindstrand » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:00 pm

grizz wrote:Cool speedy build.

I guess those are not Rugby posts in the background ?

Gridiron practice space ?

Not as speedy as you think. I will only be able to work on it weekends for a while now.

Not rugby, baseball. A backstop where I practiced pitching.
lindstrand
Teardrop Builder

Postby lindstrand » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:59 am

Right now I am leaning towards a piano hinge with rubber siliconed over top. Has anyone done this with sucess. I am trying to find some good rubber has anyone ordered anything like this from McMaster Carr?
lindstrand
Teardrop Builder

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:09 pm

lindstrand wrote:Right now I am leaning towards a piano hinge with rubber siliconed over top. Has anyone done this with sucess. I am trying to find some good rubber has anyone ordered anything like this from McMaster Carr?

Garage door gasket worked well for me on the ladybug. its water and UV stable and remains pliable for years - you can get it at Lowes or Home depot.

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby lindstrand » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:28 am

Not a whole lot of build progress this weekend but progress of a different kind. I started looking for some good deals on windows, roof vent, aluminum trim, etc. I started by going to a RV salavage store only to find everything was quite expensive. Looking for alternatives I caught wind of a neighbor that was taking an old camper to the dump. So for a case of beer I managed to get 2 pretty nice windows, aluminum trim, a propane stove, a stainless steel sink, and a whack of aluminum trim. I need to find some good weatherstripping now before I can do much more. What has everyone else used for weatherstripping?

How do I change the name of my build thread?
lindstrand
Teardrop Builder

Postby Elmosaurus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:41 am

lindstrand wrote:
How do I change the name of my build thread?

Just edit the original first post, and change the subject line.

Sneaky cat, sneaks under the trailer and into picture!

:lol:

Speedy build. Did you use CDX for the exterior plywood? That looks like a thick skin! :)

E.
Elmosaurus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lindstrand » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:07 am

Speedy build. Did you use CDX for the exterior plywood? That looks like a thick skin! :)

No I used 1/4" fir plywood.
lindstrand
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals