Death of our teardrop

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Death of our teardrop

Postby mspieth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:35 pm

Due to some pretty bad delamination (Completely my own fault) its time to build a new one. Since we mainly use our TTT for Burningman, I have less than 1 month to build it. This really shouldn't be much of a problem, as I have some friends who can come over and obviously some of the internals will have to wait until we get back.

You can check out my build journal at

http://www.ganjachicken.info/v1/main/

We are building on a standard 4X8 Harbor Freight frame. After using the last one, we decided not to build another teardrop, but rather we extended the frame 12" or so all around and are building a mini shasta style camper.
mspieth
Teardrop Inspector

Postby planovet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Boy that sucks. Hopefully that won't happen again.

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby mspieth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:22 pm

It shouldn't. We never finished sealing it from our last trip, and trusted the tarp to keep it safe.. It was a bet we lost. This time around we won't make that mistake!!
mspieth
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mspieth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:32 pm

here is what it looked like pre delamination.

mspieth
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Keep your next teardrop level on your tow vehicle- you got a pretty severe nosedive going on which could present other problems on the road. An adjustable hitch would be a good investment. You would obviously just flip it over to raise the teardrop up.

Scott

Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mspieth » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:36 am

I should look into one of those, the accent really sits low to the ground. I didn't really have too many problems with the low height other than a few parking lots which had a steep drop off at the street level....

What I really need to do if finish the new camper and then finish up the El Camino so I have a real vehicle to tow it with... So many project... So little time!
mspieth
Teardrop Inspector

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:05 pm

R.I.P. poor little teardrop :(
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mspieth » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:15 pm

Its not a total loss.. I'm thinking about turning it into a dog house since my dogs seem to like it out in the yard better than the actual dog house I built for them!
mspieth
Teardrop Inspector

Postby grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:03 pm

mspieth wrote:Its not a total loss.. I'm thinking about turning it into a dog house since my dogs seem to like it out in the yard better than the actual dog house I built for them!

....... Cloud, Silver lining ?

Sorry you had to kill it, hope the next one is twice as nice.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Just for the record book and understanding database. It looks like you used paint on the outside, but no fiberglass? I’m thinking that paint alone won’t quite do it (even if its epoxy paint followed up with a UV protective coat). Can you share the how you unsuccessfully didn’t seal the teardrop?
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Death of our teardrop

Postby Chuckles2153 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:47 pm

mspieth wrote:Due to some pretty bad delamination (Completely my own fault) its time to build a new one. Since we mainly use our TTT for Burningman, I have less than 1 month to build it. This really shouldn't be much of a problem, as I have some friends who can come over and obviously some of the internals will have to wait until we get back.

You can check out my build journal at

http://www.ganjachicken.info/v1/main/

We are building on a standard 4X8 Harbor Freight frame. After using the last one, we decided not to build another teardrop, but rather we extended the frame 12" or so all around and are building a mini shasta style camper.

That really sucks fish sticks K, How many years did you have it to camp in before that happened?
I had something similar happen to my first one, the guys left it outside in the rain one night and it was only 1/3 finished and had to start all over.
didn't even get to sleep in it not even one night.

hope you don't have that problem with your next one.
Chuckles2153
Teardrop Master

Postby mspieth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:00 am

We did get to use it 6 or 7 times before it got put away under the tarp. Construction on the new camper began pretty heavily this past weekend. Also I moved my build journal to here:

http://www.deviantdonkey.info/v2/main/category/camper/

mspieth
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bve » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm

What are your dimensions on the tear? That looks kinda big for your little Honda, especially if it still has the same forward rake as the previous one.

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Looks like it will have lots of room. That photo sure makes the tongue look short! :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mspieth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 am

Believe it or not, its not really all that much larger. We widened it by 12" and extended it back by 12". The total weight of the wood (My lumber company prints that on the bill) was only 340 Pounds, so as long as the wind resistance doesn't kill me, I think I'll be ok. Lets hope so as its maiden voyage is at the end of this month and will be approximately 4000 Miles round trip.
mspieth
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Build Journals