Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:14 am

Didn't want to hijack the "cardboard teardrop" string but wanted to say some things about FRP or "fiberglass".

First, there are different types of resins and each has advantages and disadvantages. End of discussion on this point.

I've never done a "big project" myself but I've witnessed a friend build two commercial fishing boats. It's really impressive what you can do with a bit of fiberglass (mat, roving, and cloth), some foam, and some resin.

I've repaired carboard glove boxes for cars, a small patio fountain bowl that got broken, plastic fenders for ATVs, and also reinforced a motorcycle fender from the underside with several layers of cloth so I could mount a taillight and license plate on a fender that otherwise would be too flimsy to support the additional weight.

In addition I've repaired swimming pool diving boards, made guards for machine tools, and lots of other little projects repairs.

Nothing sticks to ATV/Motorcycle plastic very well but you can still effect some repairs by backing/holding the damaged piece together with some duct tape and then applying glass/resin to the back side and then pop riviting the plastic and FRG together after the resin cures. Not as pretty as new fender but these repairs seem to hold up pretty well. Cheaper than new plastic if it's even available (a lot of the stuff I work on is not exactly brand new).

I'd be interested in some "outside the box" uses for FRG that other have used.

Never too old to learn.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Gus I and a friend did a lot of fiberglass work building an all fiberglass and foam airplane.
you are right it can be used in many creative ways one I used was to repair my brand new electricans work pouch I caught it on a bolt and ripped the front pocket I brought it home laid up a small amount of glass and epoxy-resin I wore the same pouch for the next 30 years until retired.
I have often wondered why no one has built a foam tear-drop using the foam as the core and the glass as covering I know that design is very strong and light weight. no need to make a mold like building a boat but use foam instead of cardboard like our new friend did.
Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby glassice » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 pm

there a lot that have but most call it quit it the cash on Aug 13 our 176 one will go out the door but we have a mold
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ageless » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Pete; it's all on the drawing board right now. Possibly begin build next year as I have to refurbish the Compact Jr this fall/winter.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 am

pete42 wrote:I have often wondered why no one has built a foam tear-drop using the foam as the core and the glass as covering I know that design is very strong and light weight. no need to make a mold like building a boat but use foam instead of cardboard like our new friend did.
Pete

Look up DAVEL and the bluebonnet tear II from the South Central region. He constructed it out of foam and fibreglass. ;) There are a few others, but is seems that costs outweigh the benefits. JAMES WORLEY and his Dallas Cowboys tribute tear used FRP for the exterior roof and it had held up for many years 8)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Build Journals