The "Club Car" build. Updated 10-11-11 FINISHED!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 am

Hey Pat! The first trip went great. The trailer towed easy and I could really tell that it was much lighter then my first one. The only thing that I need to do is move the light in the galley further forward. I hit my head on it several times. I was real happy with the way the bed folded. All I had to do to use it was pull the bedding back and fold it up. Worked real good. I'll bring it to Cooler by the Lake next year, and you guys can see it.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Great! Thank you--a demo would be very much appreciated! Looked like a really nice upholstery job on your cushions--you or Madame Woodbutcher?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Re: The "Club Car" build. Updated 10-11-11 FINISHED!

Postby albion2 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:57 pm

[color=#400Thats the best I,ve seen so far. :thumbsup: :worship: 080][/color]
albion2
Teardrop Builder

Postby IslandStorm62 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 pm

You are obviously a craftsman with great skills. I, on the other hand am can barely square a 2X4. This quote is from your post above

"The doors will be about 24 wide and 50" tall. I made a pattern to cut out the doors as I want the blanks to be used as the doors. This keeps all the grain matching on the inside. The router base runs around the inside of the frame with a 1/4" bit doing the cutting."

Question, how do you compensate for the 1/4 gap that the router would leave after cutting out the door? I want ot do the same, but am planning on having the window in the door. It will be the type that cranks out so it can be opened even if raining.

Thanks.
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IslandStorm62 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:32 pm

That is an awesome build. Very interesting hinges for the galley hatch. Did you have the trailer weighed?
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sabrown82 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:03 pm

This looks awesome! You used the same siding I'm hoping to use on our teardrop build! When we get to that part, would you be willing to provide a little advice as to the installation?

Also, I like your interior sconce lights! I've been looking for something like that ...something affordable. I was originally looking at flexible gooseneck marine chart/reading lights but the prices are outrageous. Would you be willing to share where you got yours and how much they cost?

Great build! I wish I had half your skill!
sabrown82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PKCSPT » Wed May 22, 2013 2:35 am

Another beautiful tear, I envy those who have the vision and ability to build their own.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed May 22, 2013 7:27 am

WOW, ironic that my build journal comes back up now. I am preparing to sell it. One of the things I need to do is weigh it. So watch the for sale section!

This question was asked about door cut outs.
Question, how do you compensate for the 1/4 gap that the router would leave after cutting out the door? I want ot do the same, but am planning on having the window in the door. It will be the type that cranks out so it can be opened even if raining.

There is a corner edging that goes on each surface to hold the aluminum on, and the hinge takes up space. So I actually had to trim the door down some more to make it fit. I will say that the biggest problem I had with the aluminum was trimming off the extra. The carbide flush bit kept clogging up with the aluminum. I work alone and that made for extra problems.

When you get to the aluminum part, ask any questions you have. I will say I love the pleated look and the painted surface. You take care of it just like a car. No buffing or extra maintenance. But because of the pleats the piece is no longer flat. When sitting on a flat surface the edges curl up about 16". This does add to the difficulty in installing it.

The interior lights I got off Ebay. If I can find any paper work on them I will post it.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby IslandStorm62 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:11 pm

Woodbuthcher,
Your Club car is about 5' wide, right?

For the aluminum siding, were you able to find a sheet of siding wide enough and long enough to cover from the front of the cabin, over the roof and all the way to the galley hatch? Or did you have to use more than one sheet? Where did you find/buy the siding?
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu May 23, 2013 7:23 am

Yes, it is 5' wide. The pleated side material only came 4' wide so there is a slip joint where I have body side molding. The top only came 4' to. The company that made it has a special joint that is leak proof and they can run any length you want. It just has to be in 4' increments. I got it from Frank Bear at Vintage Technologies, along with most of the trim and locks etc. He is only 3 hours from me so I drove and picked it up.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby IslandStorm62 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:59 pm

I guess I have to consider keeping it within the 4' width. Especially since this is my first time building a trailer, of course, it might also be the only time I do this build. I'm a simple person, I get something and as long as it remains functional and meets my needs, I never change it or let it go. Case in point, I have a 1996 Silverado V6 (original owner), wife keeps saying I should get a new one...I'll much rather spend that money on more liquor 8) . Anyway, I will be doing my build in Anaheim, CA. (Ball Rd and Magnolia), so when I get there I'll have to start looking for my resources and hopefully find some nearby. Any TNTT members in this area that may be able to point me towards some resources...

BTW - Do you think it would be possible to build this in 10 - 14 days, assuming that this is all me and my brother focus on 8Hrs a day?

Thanks again Woodbutcher.
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IslandStorm62 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Sir, Quick question - Did you HF trailer come with a VIN Plate and a MSO Manufacturers Statement of sorts that helped to facilitate the registration?
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby donnan » Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 pm

I bought a similar trailer as the HF trailer and it came complete with VIN plate on the trailer and the paperwork to make rego easy. I am in Australia though, but I believe the trailer is made by the same company.
Life is too short not to enjoy it :)
When I gamble I like to win.
http://www.realpayers.com
donnan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IslandStorm62 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks. Must be sweet riding down under. Up here in Washington, if you don't ride in when it's cold and wet, you don't ride at all. I seem to stay cold and wet 8)
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu May 23, 2013 6:47 pm

IslandStorm62 wrote:I guess I have to consider keeping it within the 4' width. Especially since this is my first time building a trailer, of course, it might also be the only time I do this build. I'm a simple person, I get something and as long as it remains functional and meets my needs, I never change it or let it go. Case in point, I have a 1996 Silverado V6 (original owner), wife keeps saying I should get a new one...I'll much rather spend that money on more liquor 8) . Anyway, I will be doing my build in Anaheim, CA. (Ball Rd and Magnolia), so when I get there I'll have to start looking for my resources and hopefully find some nearby. Any TNTT members in this area that may be able to point me towards some resources...

BTW - Do you think it would be possible to build this in 10 - 14 days, assuming that this is all me and my brother focus on 8Hrs a day?

Thanks again Woodbutcher.

Are you camping alone? If not it's real cozy in a 4 ft with a partner. There is not that much more work of expense to go 5ft and they have a better resale. My HF came with a VIN number so no worries there. If you hustle, are fairly good woodworkers and bust your hump with a simple design you could do it in 10-14 days. But be sure you have all your supplies before you start. Have fun and start a build thread so we can follow along.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals