camo Alligator Tear....

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

camo Alligator Tear....

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:55 am

...well folks, when I built the CamoGatorTear, this forum didn't exist...so I never documented my build...this will be a effort to rectify that situation...that is my story and I will stick to it!!!!

The CamoGator was never completed...the interior ceiling and cabinets along with anything in the galley had never been built so this was to be a documentation of that portion of the build as well...I had planed on starting this on the first of this past January but family issues came up and all of this was placed on the back burner...when I went to start, I found severe rot damage from a little seep leak at the corner of the hatch, forcing repairs to be done first...here's a couple of pics of severe rot.....

...this is what the corner of the hatch looked like........

madjack 8)
Last edited by madjack on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:09 am

...first thing I was gonna havvta do is remove the damaged wood.......
...more power Scotty!!!!!!
I routed out 1/2" deep over the worst of the rot...in some places the wood simply fell out all the way to the cloth/epoxy skin...I first coated out the entire area with a heavy coat of epoxy(after allowing time for everything to properly dry), cut and fit a piece of 1/2" ply to "plug" the hole...then mixed up some phenolic micro balloons with the epoxy to make a heavy putty and filled all holes and voids making sure to get plenty up behind the hinge spar...when the plywood patch was forced into place, it "squoze"(tech term), the putty into all those hard to get to hidden places...then everything was clamped up....
...more to come...............................
madjack 8)

p.s. after I got this done, I felt faint and then found this on the floor...what is it???.........mj
Last edited by madjack on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:28 am

after I got this done, I felt faint and then found this on the floor...what is it???....

Yeah! What the h. e. double hocky sticks is that? I could suggest a few things, but...

:lol:

Looks like a very skilled repair, sir.

Looking forward to seeing this project come along!

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 am

I should really have my butt kicked for allowing this to happen...I knew there was water wicking in at the corner BUT ignored it and now I gotta fix it...the tear is now in my buddy, Jim's(B52) shop, where WE will attempt to make it all right once again.....
madjack 8)

p.s. if you click my WWW button, and look in the "fixing and finishing" and "madjack715's default album" you will find all the pics I have of both the build and the ongoing repair and finish......mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 am

MJ,

It will be complete by the end of October, won't it? (If it is that will make at least one of us with a complete teardrop for LCG V.)

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby planovet » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:49 am

We will be looking forward to seeing the repairs at LCG :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:44 pm

:( Awee, sure hope that works as good as it looks.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:16 am

That's a drag Jack! Is the plan to cover it all up with laminate, once patched? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 am

doug hodder wrote:That's a drag Jack! Is the plan to cover it all up with laminate, once patched? Doug

...yep, it will get a 10" tall by 22" deep 3drawer base(a 14 & 2-22s) with everything else getting covered with green granite formica...the bottom area will get some dark green marine urethane paint...still trying to decide if I will add a couple of addon tables or a lift up counter top or just leave the bottom open......

Tom...are they ever finished?????

Chris...that is actually the putty I ended up with when adding micro balloons to epoxy...it is just about set up in that pic...disgusting looking, HUH............
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby glassice » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:41 pm

I though this was the kindness of your hart to show how to fix that why you let this happen
well be good to see when done
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:53 pm

glassice wrote:I though this was the kindness of your hart to show how to fix that why you let this happen

yup, I agree, it is quite a guy that will let his teardrop rot away just to show us how to fix it.... 8) :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
glassice wrote:I though this was the kindness of your hart to show how to fix that why you let this happen

yup, I agree, it is quite a guy that will let his teardrop rot away just to show us how to fix it.... 8) :thumbsup:

...hey, I take my responsibilities around here VERY SERIOUSLY :yes: :roll: :whistle: :R :D ;)
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:30 pm

:thinking: I was so hoping you were going to do a show and tell about the cloth sides too.... :worship: ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Build Journals