A chuckwagon based on the "Simple"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

A chuckwagon based on the "Simple"

Postby SouthSoundJeff » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:39 pm

The engine crapped out in our motorhome. Since we weren't done camping yet, we HAD to do something, and we had to do it quick. My family reunion was in less than a month, so the clock was ticking.
How fast can you build something? Well, the answer for me was "about 2 and 1/2 weeks".
Trailer was purchased the last week in June, and the maiden voyage was on July 30th, 2010.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how it went-

I bought and assembled a trailer from Harbor Freight.
I laid down a sheet of 3/4 treated ply and attached it with carriage bolts, then primered with Kilz.

Then I placed the range where I wanted it, so I would know where to place the bulkhead wall.

Then I attached the bulkhead behind the range.

Built a box to rest the fridge on, then enclosed the sides of the fridge.

Mounted the water tank across "sideways", and set the water heater about where I thought it ought to be.

Mounted up a laundry faucet and counter top area to the side of the range. I used this arrangement to maximize counter utilization. We use tubs as sinks when needed, and bare counter the rest of the time. Pots and pans go in the cubby hole under the counter. Makes sense?

Mounted and plumbed in the water pump under the water heater. The battery for the pump fits kinda under the water heater too. I installed a push-button switch in the galley near the faucet, to operate the pump.

Here's a better pic of the plumbing job. The water tank is mounted to the trailer floor using ratchet straps and cargo hold-downs. I tend to follow the theory of over-building stuff. Might cost more, but only cost me one time.

Here's a decent look at the left side "rough-in", before I enclosed the rear of the the fridge area. Coming along....

Okay, now that the plumbing, wiring, and the black iron pipe was stubbed out for the range, it was time to frame in the storage box above the water tank.

Propane tanks will go in a box in front, so I built the front wall and started with a platform for the tanks.

With all that done, I put on the roof.

Sizing up and thinking about the rear hatch/roof situation....
Now just how am I gonna' do this?

While I was thinkin' about that galley roof hatch, I primered the outside. Again, I used the Kilz for a primer.

Rear hatch, with primer. I attached it with a high-tech plastic hinge.
It was at this stage of the build, that I realized that none of the plywood I got at Home depot was actually square at the corners. Well I have a square and a saw, so I was able to correct enough to make it all fit together.

Getting pretty close now. It's really starting to look like we'll make our trip to family reunion.

With the hatch taken care of, I set out to put doors on all the storage compartments, and build the box around the propane tanks. I used small hasps and cabinet door "catches" to keep the doors closed. I was able to find solid brass padlocks at Harbor Freight - all keyed alike - for like $5 for a pack of 4! How do they stay in business?

The compartment below the fridge only goes about 1/2 way through, but the taller one in front of the fridge runs the full width of the trailer. We stack totes 2-high and get 3 wide in there.

And here's a good view of the right side with the doors closed. Probably the best view I have of the box holding the propane tanks too.

Now for the paint. Seriously folks- I don't drink!
The ground aint level - I swear!

And finally a pic from the galley end of things. Some people have posted that these tent poles don't work on the hatch for support. I used a 2x2 at the bottom edge of the hatch, and drilled a hole in the middle and one at each edge, for the tip of the pole to go up into. Didn't have an issue on the maiden trip, but if the wind gets so bad that it threatens to yank the hatch from the pole, I doubt I'll be able to keep the burners lit anyway. I'll shut the hatch and wait for the wind to die down.

I ran out of film, so didn't get any pics at the reunion, of the chuckwagon "in action". Maybe one of the relatives will relay some to me.

We slept in an 18-foot teepee tent on a raised air-bed, complete with a porta-potti inside. I felt like we were the talk of the campground, and even had the park ranger chatting me up for a bit while I bragged.
The bottom line is that I feel I accomplished my goals here.
Set up time was about 30 minutes from the time we parked, including getting the tent put up.
I wasn't willing to sleep on the ground, and wasn't willing to give up a fridge, or hot and cold running water.
I feel like the only thing we really had to give up when the motorhome died was the furnace. So we cuddle a little closer and toss on another blanket, right?

I'll post more pics of the set-up if I can get 'em from family.
SouthSoundJeff
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RogHodge » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Necessity is a mother- The chuck wagon is cool – does it pretend to be water tight? :thinking:
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Watertight?

Postby SouthSoundJeff » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:58 pm

Well, it pretends to be....
I'm sure it isn't perfect, but since I'm not sleeping in it, that's not terribly important to me.
Now the boat I built-that's another matter!
I did fit things fairly well, and even ran a bead of caulk along the inside seams.
I didn't however run any fillets of epoxy or anything.
Let's call it "water resistant", shall we?
SouthSoundJeff
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals