Beginning the Tadpull

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Beginning the Tadpull

Postby Tadlan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:33 pm

Yep. It begins. I found a little 4x8 trailer on craigslist for $120. I told my wife that there was plenty of room in the garage for it.

Needless to say...there was. :) As long as it fits, right?
The plywood on top had pretty much rotted away and came off easily. I am surprised at how decent of shape the frame is in with the condition of the wood that had been above it. Will start cleaning and sanding soon. You can also see the windows that I picked up for $30 also through craigslist. This is going to be a long build because I will use craigslist, thrift shops, and such for a lot of my stuff. Have to wait for deals.

Here is a test match I did on the spare tire.

It is almost perfect for my tow vehicle.

It will be a woody sided teardrop somewhere between a Benroy and a Trailer for Two with a green aluminum top. Gonna be sweet.
:twisted:
Tadlan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tadlan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 am

So, after a lot of scrubbing, kneeling, scrubbing more, sanding, bending, laying on the ground, painting, kneeling, repeat process, my dirty red trailer now looks like this.

My knees and back hurt, but progress is good. Hope to start in on sawdusting soon.
Tadlan
Teardrop Advisor

Keep on trucking!!!

Postby Txbum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:45 pm

You got it going in the right directions ! congratulations and keep everyone posted. Txbum ..Richard :thumbsup:
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:19 pm

You think like I do with the deals! Looks like you are off to a good start, and the color combination really will be awesome once you are towing it! I like the windows too!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Tadlan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks Thomas. Gotta love deals when you are not rolling in money. Your woody and black aluminum combination is one of my inspirations to start this whole thing...so thank you for that too.
Tadlan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby steve smoot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:38 am

Great deal on the trailer, and you are off to a good start...love the TV... :thumbsup:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby 2bits » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:12 pm

Tadlan wrote:Thanks Thomas. Gotta love deals when you are not rolling in money. Your woody and black aluminum combination is one of my inspirations to start this whole thing...so thank you for that too.

Hey thanks! That black aluminum would not be there if it wasn't for a Craiglist deal on that too! I loved that find! Here's to deals a comin' that we are yet to discover! :beer:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re: Beginning the Tadpull

Postby mcspin50 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Tadlan wrote: You can also see the windows that I picked up for $30 also through craigslist. This is going to be a long build because I will use craigslist, thrift shops, and such for a lot of my stuff. Have to wait for deals.

$30!!??!! SIGH! You lucky duck! I don't seem to do that well on Craigslist up here. Maybe should be looking harder there for windows, otherwise it's $130 on ebay for the ones I'd like.

Good luck with your build. You're off to a great start. BTW No. 1 Son lives in Ogden, UT. Beautiful state.
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby Senior Ninja » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:05 pm

Isn't it wonderful what a little paint will do?
Steve (ex paint manufacturer)
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby Tadlan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Yeah...the craigslist has not been as kind the last few weeks. Nothing new there or way overpriced. Almost got a stove/oven for $40, but someone beat me to it. Thanks for the comments and the support. The floor is bolted on, but no pics cause it is boring.

Epoxy arrived today, so I may get some stuff done this Saturday. I am reconfiguring the whole build in my head right now. Trying to come up with innovative ways to keep weight and costs down. If it is under 750 lbs I don't have to register it in Utah. Can I build the whole thing out of foam?

We shall see. ;)
Tadlan
Teardrop Advisor

Finances

Postby Tadlan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Sorry everyone. October has not been the best month financially. Medical bills, car registration, insurance, and my company is "fixing" the payroll system to be one week back...so I won't get paid for a week this month. Not much done. I have a floor and have done a few tests with plywood, foam, fabric, and epoxy. Hopefully I can get something done next month.
:(
Tadlan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Senior Ninja » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:26 pm

Before we began, we did some glue tests. We glued blocks of wood to a piece of plywood. We used white glue, yellow glue and construction glue to glue the blocks to the plywood. We clamped them and left them over night. Next morning we tore the blocks from the plywood. What do you think the results were?
Yep! No appreciable difference. Every glue joint held and the wood block broke. We decided to use the yellow carpenter's glue, saving us the cost of the more exotic glues. All the wood on our woody has three coats of varnish, including the bottom of the floor. No goupy black stuff for our woody. The TD is housed in a garage so sun damage is not a problem. We used the single hole Pilot hole jig. We held it with a locking wrench we bought at HF. I think we were fairly thrifty.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:10 am

My build was not that thrifty in places, but I do love the idea of sensible thrifty building, even if you can afford to buy the whole shop.

Here is a thread I just started over on Retro Rides, on some of the treasures I pick up for nothing.

http://www.retrorides.proboards.com/ind ... read=89875

Wasting is a big industry in the UK, and unfortunately the beurocrats who scream "Green" are the same people who wont let you take stuff from a council/municipal dumpster.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BigAl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:44 am

You made a nice tidy job of the trailer and extra bonus points for all the photographs! :D

I love the name "Tadpull".

Keep up the good work.
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals