Hikerjohnd's Great Escape - Update 1-16-11

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Hikerjohnd's Great Escape - Update 1-16-11

Postby Hikerjohnd » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:37 pm

9/24/10
And so it begins...

I got my trailer today! Got a good deal from HF - $340 after coupon.

I have a plan in my head but nothing on paper yet. I think I'm going to put this together as I go along. As I see what I want I will incorporate it!

Right now the plan is 4' wide, 9' long, 5' tall. Will definitely have an AC and am using a door and windows I've already ordered from ebay.

With luck I will have the trailer assembled by the end of the month (have many projects going at once right now) and then in October I can get rolling on this project alone.

Will keep you all up to date as I go!

--John
Last edited by Hikerjohnd on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
---------------
--John

So be it.
Hikerjohnd
Teardrop Advisor

trailer

Postby mvperini » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:30 pm

love it when a plan comes together, good luck on the build

Mike

1947 Kenskill teardrop kamper 4X10>
1951 Boles Areo 16ft Canned Ham>
1956 Roadmaster 20ft> Restored
1959 airstream 18ft restoration complete
1953 Pontiac house car
mvperini
500 Club

Postby grizz » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:56 am

Welcome.

Looks like your build is going to go the way most of us do...... make it up as you go along, and build to fit a few special parts.... I had a mattress and door, as well as the plan to create an illusion of lowness but dropping the visual, and using 5x10 losing 10 inches in the overhang.

I like yor style, so will be watching this build.

Have fun.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

HikerJohnD's Great Escape - Update 10-1-10

Postby Hikerjohnd » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Parts are slowly rolling in! Still haven't put together frame but hopefully that will be finished by next week!

Door from ebay:

Windows from ebay:

Black diamond plate for front of trailer:

Can't wait to get going on this! Have a buddy coming over mid-November and with his help I may have this finished by Christmas!!

--John
---------------
--John

So be it.
Hikerjohnd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:02 am

Congrats John!! Can't wait to see your build and to meet you one of these days!

Cliff :applause:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Papi » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 am

Well, like you most of my plan is in my head, but you're off to a good start by having some of those pieces already on hand.
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby Hikerjohnd » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:03 am

Got a decal made for the rear hatch window - I sooooo cannot wait to start building! Too many interruptions with work and school these past two weeks - Think I may drag trailer into living room and assemble it there!

---------------
--John

So be it.
Hikerjohnd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:11 pm

John bring it with you this weekend and I'll help ya then you can pull it home!!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hikerjohnd » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Well, I was kidding about assembling the trailer in my living room, but last night I got a wild hair and lugged the boxes in the house and got started.

Now to get a couple of buddies over here to help haul it outside!
Next step is paint and finishing touches.

I really can't wait to start this build!
---------------
--John

So be it.
Hikerjohnd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pete42 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:15 pm

"I really can't wait to start this build"

don't look now but you have started
now on to phase two :thumbsup:
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Hikerjohnd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Well, work got in the way of me making it to the gathering this weekend but the few free hours I did have were spent making sure I would have a trailer for the next planned meeting.

I got some friends to help me move the frame outside and into this area I set up to keep the oak tree from dropping too much crap on my trailer. I don't have a place to build inside so this is it for now.

Then I painted the outside of the trailer with spray on bedliner and I really like it! Also, I wanted to make a wooden frame to build on and have attached that wood frame with lag bolts.

I liked the spray on bedliner so much, I decided to paint the fenders and wheels with it!

Finally, I put together three under floor storage bins. Mostly I am afraid I will not have much storage room inside. Never mind that I don't know what I plan to bring with me...

And all of this was supervised by Ruby - my ever faithful companion. Her idea of 'roughing it' is when I make her sleep in her own bed (she likes to snuggle and man does she throw off some heat!)

Next step is the stabilizer jacks and the floor! Once that is done, I will be in slow gear until the 20th when my help arrives for a long weekend. Am gonna work him like a house elf!

:)
Last edited by Hikerjohnd on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------
--John

So be it.
Hikerjohnd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Off to a good start! Do you have a design on paper yet? or are you gonna wing it?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Hikerjohnd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Off to a good start! Do you have a design on paper yet? or are you gonna wing it?

Oh I'm gonna wing it mostly. Will draw out electric circuits because I can't keep that stuff straight in my head (and I've never done a 12v circuit before).

I still enjoy looking at plans (and will buy a set of yours when you start selling) and plan to draw up an 'as built' set once I'm finished.
---------------
--John

So be it.
Hikerjohnd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Hikerjohnd » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Ever have one of those days where you take one step forward and five or six steps back? I worked all afternoon (I had to work until 1 today) and all I accomplished was the install of the stabilizer jacks. I thought I was ready, so I unpacked the jacks and then discovered the block I was going to use to space the jacks between the frame and the underside of the trailer was too thin. I ended up going to HD to get a 4x4 and rip it down to fit. When I got home I realized the bolts I planned to use were now too short, so back to HD for longer bolts! Then I got home, ripped the 4x4 and cut it to size. I started attaching the jacks to the wood and was 4 bolts short. Each jack attaches with four bolts, for a total of 8. When I bought bolts, I only got 4 total. Yep, back to HD for 4 more bolts.

At this point it was time for dinner and Taco Bell was calling my name. So, after three trips to HD and a short dinner break, I FINALLY got my jacks attached.

In case you are wondering, the jacks are attached to the 4x4 with 3/8" bolts and the 4x4 is attached with 12 screws, 2 lag bolts, and once the floor is in, 3 carriage bolts. I am terrified I'll be cruising down the highway and my jacks will fall off and wreck someone's day! Probably another case of first-timer overbuild, but an ounce of prevention...

If the rest of the project takes this long, I will never be finished! :shock:

On my third and final trip to HD I was smart enough to buy the plywood for my floor. Weather predicts rain for most of the week, starting Monday, so I am hoping to get the floor assembled and installed tomorrow.

*** Is it weird I keep saying things like "on my next build I'll ..." I've barely started this build!
---------------
--John

So be it.
Hikerjohnd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:19 pm

I had the same kind of day yesterday when I was working on a way to seal my roof around my fan. Made 3 trips... 1. Not enough wood; 2. Forgot weatherstripping; 3. Get more glue.

Must have been something to do with the full moon. Or the hangover. :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals